It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I’m a military man and I think we should ban assault weapons

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

originally posted by: nwtrucker

originally posted by: The GUT

Anyway, it’s a legitimate issue of importance to the society

I hope you, my good friend, do not believe a small group of malcontents with AR 15 can stop any government antics.

Well, I hope it never comes to that but should it, I don't believe "malcontents" would be the right word in face of "antics." That's not internally consistent.

The odds are irrelevant, the sentiment not.

Sentiment to mass suicide ala Masada or the Cathars

The only true victory or defense coming in our future is with the mind, spirit or soul not a mechanical killing utensil

imho

Actually, a good point. One the other hand, one needs to survive the vagaries of life until that 'true victory' is achieved. Weapons have their place in the order of things.

Not when your society has broken down and is misusing them.

The fact of the matter is as folks here talk about emotionalism, it is thou who art emotionally tied to automatic weapons, that have little utility in a civilized society.

Ill venture that not one of you can honestly say your big bad gun saved you or anyone else’s life.

But the massive and legal abuse of a country wide arsenal of weaponry just may be adding to the social disease that is rampant and tearing apart the life and bodies of children

Yet you selfishly cling to your beloved guns

Let God be your judge

God? Sure! I'm ready. Are you? You tend to judge pretty heavily yourself. MY guns sit in their proper place doing what they're supposed to do....NOTHING.

Stay out of my house and I will stay out of yours.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Well said and considering the OP won't engage in conversation with me I'm going to say that your post pretty much wraps up the thread.

These morons don't want to face facts. They just parrot the latest liberal!? talking points and fads.

There is no discussion, it's just 'lalalala, I'm not listening'...

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

"Assault weapons" That madeup term alone discredited the whole article. Banning guns is not the solution. Criminals roaming free and the american population succumbing to that because they can't defend themselves? No thanks.

edit on 23-2-2018 by Perfectenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   

He says” the part people leave out is the well regulated militia”. Kind of funny because the part he and you leave out is “ the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear arms”

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   

So, Will, tell me. If we remove these guns from the citizens, including myself and family, who do I depend upon to protect us? I am honestly curious about YOUR answer, not a group, but you, personally.

I await your answer.

Thanks

link   

originally posted by: whywhynot

So suddenly you are quoting FOX news and conservatives? Really? Very disingenuous.

Ralph has his opinions and good for him. Irrelevant to my view, in other words it means nothing.

I’ve never been an anti gun guy but don’t own a gun and never will unless some massive insanity takes over.

I personally believe, as I posted many times, that this issue should NOT be only a gun issue, but I believe guns are an integral part of the problem, but not the only part of the problem.

This writer, I usually don’t like at all, but here I can’t see any flaws in his thinking and he deals with all the anti anti gun control issues succinctly.

To further elaborate, he has in the past no credibility with you but because his view on this issue reflects yours you use his views to back your view.

Hypocrite much? And the answer is...YES, USUALLY!

link   

This guy knows Jack about guns!
I can bump fire my Sig without any modifications. No bumpstock required. Any creative person can make any gun more lethal. No amount of regulations will fix this. We must fix the human element to have any hope of preventing mass killings.

Not only that but we need to hold the establishment responsible when they don't do their job's. But as it stands the authorities who could have prevented this get to keep their job's. They failed us... AGAIN! The Florida shooter should have had a criminal record from domestic violence to aggravated assault. But the authorities didn't act accordingly thus allowing him to obtain a gun.

Besides that this "conservative" clearly doesn't know AR stands for "Armalite Rifle" not "Assault Rifle". There is no such thing as an assault rifle...

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 01:19 PM
link   

I hope you, my good friend, do not believe a small group of malcontents with AR 15 can stop any government antics.

Well, I hope it never comes to that but should it, I don't believe "malcontents" would be the right word in face of "antics." That's not internally consistent.

The only true victory or defense coming in our future is with the mind, spirit or soul not a mechanical killing utensil

imho

Actually, a good point. One the other hand, one needs to survive the vagaries of life until that 'true victory' is achieved. Weapons have their place in the order of things.

The fact of the matter is as folks here talk about emotionalism, it is thou who art emotionally tied to automatic weapons, that have little utility in a civilized society.

Ill venture that not one of you can honestly say your big bad gun saved you or anyone else’s life.

But the massive and legal abuse of a country wide arsenal of weaponry just may be adding to the social disease that is rampant and tearing apart the life and bodies of children

Let God be your judge

God? Sure! I'm ready. Are you? You tend to judge pretty heavily yourself. MY guns sit in their proper place doing what they're supposed to do....NOTHING.

Why are you so defensive? Where engaging in a conversation and you talk about stay out of your house. One might understand the mentality that needs a semiautomatic firearm at the ready. Or who knows many here may have automatic firearms.

Has anyone shown us where these super firearms saved them from anything?

A guy went and tried to mug you and you pulled out an AR 15 from your pocket?

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

Well, without intending to disparage anyone personally.....I really don't know these people, but my impression is that there's not a lot of "thought" going on at all; its just all an emotional response. Sad really, but when emotions are running high and there's little cognition going on, that's the worst possible time to try to develop good policy.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

It's very telling that you skipped past my question Willtell. You should have called yourself Won'ttell...

What are you babbling about?

What do you want to know?

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   

So suddenly you are quoting FOX news and conservatives? Really? Very disingenuous.

Ralph has his opinions and good for him. Irrelevant to my view, in other words it means nothing.

I’ve never been an anti gun guy but don’t own a gun and never will unless some massive insanity takes over.

I personally believe, as I posted many times, that this issue should NOT be only a gun issue, but I believe guns are an integral part of the problem, but not the only part of the problem.

This writer, I usually don’t like at all, but here I can’t see any flaws in his thinking and he deals with all the anti anti gun control issues succinctly.

To further elaborate, he has in the past no credibility with you but because his view on this issue reflects yours you use his views to back your view.

Hypocrite much? And the answer is...YES, USUALLY!

Your point is very ridiculous.

No one disagrees with anyone else on every issue.

In fact, me and this guy who usually don’t agree on much were in full agreement on for example the ISIS issue.

On the other hand on the Iraq war we disagree.

Nothing wrong with one quoting another when they are in agreement.

It’s not a crime or sin

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAY1980

This guy knows Jack about guns!
I can bump fire my Sig without any modifications. No bumpstock required. Any creative person can make any gun more lethal. No amount of regulations will fix this. We must fix the human element to have any hope of preventing mass killings.

Not only that but we need to hold the establishment responsible when they don't do their job's. But as it stands the authorities who could have prevented this get to keep their job's. They failed us... AGAIN! The Florida shooter should have had a criminal record from domestic violence to aggravated assault. But the authorities didn't act accordingly thus allowing him to obtain a gun.

Besides that this "conservative" clearly doesn't know AR stands for "Armalite Rifle" not "Assault Rifle". There is no such thing as an assault rifle...

Mr doesn’t know jack sh__ is a retired United States Army lieutenant colonel
edit on 23-2-2018 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   

imho

Let God be your judge

Why are you so defensive? Where engaging in a conversation and you talk about stay out of your house. One might understand the mentality that needs a semiautomatic firearm at the ready. Or who knows many here may have automatic firearms.

Defensive? Only due to your 'offensive' stance. On the street? I carry a knife. (Although, open carry is legal where I live)

Super firearms? Sorry but evolution in weapons is also a fact of life. An AR-15 is a normal weapon, neither the best nor the worst in capability, as you well know I would further define the AR-15 a 'normal weapon. Average, Affordable, widespread-further evidence of it's status as a norm- easily obtained and capable of multiple uses.

Very average, in other words. Nothing 'super' about it...beyond your hyperbole, that is.

P.S. In fact, the AR-15 is substandard, in my view. I prefer an AR-10. Old-timers refer to the AR-15 as a squirrel gun.

edit on 23-2-2018 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-2-2018 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

So, Will, tell me. If we remove these guns from the citizens, including myself and family, who do I depend upon to protect us? I am honestly curious about YOUR answer, not a group, but you, personally.

I await your answer.

Thanks

He never suggested to ban all guns.

From the article

But I believe, on moral, practical and constitutional grounds, that no private citizen should own an automatic weapon or a semi-automatic weapon that can easily be modified for automatic effects. These are military weapons. Their purpose is to kill human beings. They’re not used for hunting (unless you want to destroy the animal’s meat). They’re lousy for target shooting. But they’re excellent tools for mass murder.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 01:32 PM
link   

imho

Let God be your judge

Defensive? Only due to your 'offensive' stance. On the street? I carry a knife. (Although, open carry is legal where I live)

Super firearms? Sorry but evolution in weapons is also a fact of life. An AR-15 is a normal weapon, neither the best nor the worst in capability, as you well know I would further define the AR-15 a 'normal weapon. Average, Affordable, widespread-further evidence of it's status as a norm- easily obtained and capable of multiple uses.

Very average, in other words. Nothing 'super' about it...beyond your hyperbole, that is.

It is NOT a normal weapon.

Don't make the mistake that I am not aware of these products

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   

I await your answer. 

Thanks

Great question...I will wait for that answer as well...however I doubt we will get one that makes any sense.

Also with as much corruption as we are seeing in our government...who will hold them accountable if they do not? Certainly not an unarmed population...
edit on 23-2-2018 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   

It is NOT a normal weapon. Don't make the mistake that I am not aware of these products

It is a normal firearms at least here in the US. It is one of the most popular sporting rifle designs if not the most popular sporting rifle designs sold in the US. It is not the same rifle used by the military. AR does not stand for "Assault Rifle" it stands for Armalite. In fact the round use by most AR-15s the 223 REM or the 556 NATO are pretty anemic compared to most hunting rounds in 30 cal and above. So please tell me how it is less NORMAL than my Ruger Ranch Rifle chambered in 223?
edit on 23-2-2018 by joemoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   

It is these days. When's the last time you've been to a shooting range?

THE commonest weapon is the AR-15. Period.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD

I await your answer. 

Thanks

Great question...I will wait for that answer as well...however I doubt we will get one that makes any sense.

Also with as much corruption as we are seeing in our government...who will hold them accountable if they do not? Certainly not an unarmed population...

Your really in fantasy land.

You or any of these guys arent going to take your guns and do a dam thing about nothing!

nothing, and I mean nothing!

so why don't you knock it off

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

I gave him an answer.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join