It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Trump: “We have to do something” about violent video games, movies

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 08:47 AM
link   
The old violent movies and video games canard is pretty stupid, and thinking the government can solve our problems is even worse. If statists could manage their own affairs instead of petitioning the government to do it for them, we wouldn’t have hairbrained solutions such as these. Either way, he’s just spit-balling.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Pre-1990's there were what, zero mass school shootings?

What's changed since then?

I'd say first person shooter games should definitely be included as a factor since that time period. Did any of the kid school shooters play them?

We all know the mood altering drugs are also definitely a factor.

Combine the two and ?

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Its far more systemic than video games and movies.

I think what you are seeing is more macro than that and I think this is why it applies almost exclusively to the United States while other countries share in individual or at best a handful of singular traits, but why we represent the 'perfect storm' for this tragedy.

Human nature is for some reason, inherently violent, or that has been a dominant trait for 99% of our collective histories going back through time. So in our very cores exist this basic element of violence, currently, we have done a better job of suppressing that trait and embracing love, but realistically, the love concept has not won yet on a sweeping, global, ingrained scale.

So violence is one of those shared traits that we have in common across the globe.

Now, here in the US specifically, we have been at war for pretty much the last 100 years on a fairly consistent basis. In the last 50 of those years it was easily accessible to 'hear' or 'see' pretty much anything about it, but it wasnt but maybe for the last 20 years that WAR has been in High Def and accessible 24 hours a day, 7 days, a week, 365 days a year in all its glory. From drone strikes performed by the US that resemble scenes from Call of Duty, to ISIS beheading videos, its all there, and just a quick click away. In short, we have become desensitized to the war and violence, and have devalued human life. And not every culture has access to that either, by the way, but we do for the most part.

This can be found in our culture specifically resonating throughout the abortion issue, that is a clear devaluation of human life. Im not arguing the mechanics of whether it is right or wrong, but it is a marked decision to end the potential for a human life to enter this world.

We are also a nation founded with an inherent right to keep and bear arms, and that has certainly created a gun culture here in the United States, again I am fine with that, but we do have to recognize it, and at the end of the day call a spade a spade.

I also think the violence culture that is in our media (games, TV, movies, music, etc) does contribute when you add all the factors together. And there is no denying that our media has become progressively more graphic and violent and realistic and accessible.

What else we have in this country is high pressure and huge competition to perform and succeed. That has had a monumental effect on the family and home life. In the same last 50 years as everything else was ramping up, we have had more households where both parents are working a full-time job to put food on the table and kids through school. So no one really monitoring or raising the children except the teachers who are stretched thin already, and exhausted evening parents, where guess what, the kids are relegated to their medications and video games so that the parents can have a moment of peace. You know, that is, if the parents are still together and all, with a 50% divorce rate in the United States. That broken home is having a huge impact on these children's mental stability, and they already are lacking attention from their teachers and parents due to the pressure everyone is under.

Plus the medications we are giving our children anyway. Who knows what effect that has on their brains, and how they process and interpret all of this information that is coming at them. Its overwhelming for me, a grown, healthy, very solid and stable white man in America, so I can only imagine what these children are up against.

And we all sit here and wonder why we have kids killing other kids like there is nothing wrong. WAKE UP, PEOPLE! A WHOLE LOT IS WRONG!

ETA: Clearly this is a people problem and not a gun problem.
edit on 23-2-2018 by phishfriar47 because: To add a thought

edit on 23-2-2018 by phishfriar47 because: Finished another thought

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
Pre-1990's there were what, zero mass school shootings?

What's changed since then?

I'd say first person shooter games should definitely be included as a factor since that time period. Did any of the kid school shooters play them?

We all know the mood altering drugs are also definitely a factor.

Combine the two and ?

en.m.wikipedia.org...

Yep, never been a mass shooting before video games.

There are others but you can look yourself.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Has anyone in some type of power raised the idea of publicly funding a major overhaul of mental health outreach and then continued care, support, supervision and so on?

Some of these people could surely have been steered down a different path a long time previously.

edit on 23-2-2018 by skalla because: Sp

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

There's plenty that's changed. For example, the ever increasing amount of guns in the US. Does that mean it's a favor as well? No. Because correlation does not imply causation.

Like I mentioned in my OP most other countries have access to these games and they don't have the same problem. We're not even the most lax when it comes to game ratings. We're actually fairly strict. We're not Australia but their approach to violent media is pretty authoritarian.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: skalla

Could be a lack of positive male role models in some of these kids lives, not just famous people but people in their lives.
Our school had a buddy system for some kids who were troubled.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 09:25 AM
link   
He's right and I appreciate the suggestion. There's really nothing that can be done, but you can't deny that ultra violence has increased and that our kids have be become desensitized. It's almost like were coming full circle to the Roman Empire where we seek and crave violence in any form. Just look at video games and movies. The same people that are for gun control and against gun violence are the very people that have been desensitizing our youth. Sure, freedom of speech but it's also hypocrisy. Just have to be on top if it as a parent

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: mkultra11

Who is right, and what suggestion are you referring to?

I only ask, because you have included absolutely no context for your comment

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   
It will be interesting to see how this plays out. The last time there was a big push for something like this. All those video-game players were kids. Now they are adults and can vote. I will even go out on a limb and say there is an overlap between passionate vocal video game players and Trump voters.

This is not the 80's or 90's. Where parents were scared of the video-games their kids played. Now-a-days parents play video-games with their kids. So they know that they have played games all their life and they have never went crazy and acted out their video game fantasy.

In the 80's and 90's that was not true. You did not have generations grow up on them. Some might say that is the point. But for every psycho who does something that someone blames on video-games. You will have a million people who love games, that never killed anyone. And they know it. And they vote.

Now to come around back to Trump. This type of stuff appeals to the Republican voters who pine for the 50's, but not the younger Republican voters who pine for the 80's. So like I said, it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I disagree to a point.

I just heard of a new Netflix reality show called The Push with the premise of finding out if people can be pressured to commit murder.

Fake of course. But while it might be interesting, it seems to me we might be one step closer to those types of realities that movies like Death Race or The Running Man might portend.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Dare I say Trump, and before you jump down my throat I agree to just to bring attention to the subject that our society has become desenstized to violence through our culture. Its a discussion thay has to be made. Also, I'm not saying violence never existed before Wolfenstein was invented. I grew up watching Tom and Jerry and and Looney Tunes which had violence. It's different now, and it's more realistic and visually graphic, hence the desensitation. Ita not even as much childrens as more for teens these days. It's the psychological aspect. Its not just video games and movies either.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 10:08 AM
link   

I am exposed to all the media that Americans are. I have been all my life. I know the same music, I know of American shows, movies, and games predominantly played by westerners are very often focused on plying the American market.

Anyone my age, living here in Britain has the same exposure, or potential exposure, to these things. Anyone living in Germany has the same general exposure to these things. Australia is a little different, because despite being a centre right political structure, some of its policies on games content are so woolly, it makes me utterly sick (word to the wise folks, lefty does not mean wet and weak).

We all get hit with the same media, not different media. We all have access to the same movies, by the same production houses, the same games, generally speaking, by the same publishers, with the same content. Games are not the problem. I can tell you that because there are not mass murders in the UK by disaffected, mentally ill school children, and that is nothing to do with the lack of guns. We are British, you see, so when we get furious we just beat one another to death. We have stabbings, and the odd shooting involving organised crime, but what you basically never see here is a mass murder, outside of a terrorism incident, and its not because we do not have oodles of privately owned and accessible firearms. Its because the specific mental structure that says "I am going out, and I am taking all of you bastards with me!" is rarer here, despite all the similarities in terms of how our media is accessed and what it contains.

So with respect, there is no way to correlate computer games and actual violence, because not every nation exposed to computer game violence, has the problem America has with random acts of mass murder.
edit on 23-2-2018 by TrueBrit because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   
he is right bigly why do evry game movie have to be about violence ?? conditioning thats why

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   

I'm not really saying there's a correlation with video games and murder. I'm not saying to ban video games. I'm saying there's a psychological desentization due to the increases visual exposure to realistic graphic violence in our American culture, not European.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Brilliant.

You are not saying that video games should be banned. But you are someone other than the Tangerine Tyrant himself, which means I can trust you to be nuanced and at least a little reasonable in your responses and solutions to problems. I cannot say the same of the man who will be actually making the choices as to how to move forward though. That is a big problem.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 10:29 AM
link   

I think the biggest problem is families themselves. Often kids are raised with 1 parent or they have 2 but they work. In the end we have kids raising themselves. They learn how to be adults from there peers. This reminds me of a nature show I had seen.Elephants were rampaging through the reserve attacking people and destroying villages . And these elephants were even killing female elephants. These elephants were teenagers and out of control. The rangers tried everything including killing some of them. But a ranger got an idea they brought in some older elephants from a different area. Those elephants took control being older and bigger and immediately those teenagers learned what behavior is acceptable. The attacks stopped because they had roll models.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Brilliant.

You are not saying that video games should be banned. But you are someone other than the Tangerine Tyrant himself, which means I can trust you to be nuanced and at least a little reasonable in your responses and solutions to problems. I cannot say the same of the man who will be actually making the choices as to how to move forward though. That is a big problem.

Then its a good thing he talks to people instead of ruling by decree. You'd understand that if it wasn't the case where you live.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

I think the biggest problem is families themselves. Often kids are raised with 1 parent or they have 2 but they work. In the end we have kids raising themselves. They learn how to be adults from there peers. This reminds me of a nature show I had seen.Elephants were rampaging through the reserve attacking people and destroying villages . And these elephants were even killing female elephants. These elephants were teenagers and out of control. The rangers tried everything including killing some of them. But a ranger got an idea they brought in some older elephants from a different area. Those elephants took control being older and bigger and immediately those teenagers learned what behavior is acceptable. The attacks stopped because they had roll models.

Ding ding ding.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Not only are you exposed to the same media but in many cases it's at a younger age. I can't count the number of times a game rated M in the US gets a PEGI 16 rating in Europe.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join