It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Trump: “We have to do something” about violent video games, movies

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: swanne

My youngest is dramatic. he says crazy things. He's quite like me.

Both my boys would play GTA with me growing up. We'd laugh at the inappropriate stuff in the game because it was always so absurd. We played Saints Row, too (far worse than GTA). There isn't a first person shooter platform we didn't play at least one installment of.

I agree with what you are saying. At least in general. But if you can visually represent people in 3d snuff films that looks like real life snuff films, im not sure we don't re-evaluate. If someone needs that kind of outlet for aggression and/or frustration, we likely need to intervene.

What?? That's crazy talk! You mean to tell me that you don't wanna throw your kids in front of a video game every time they get upset? UGH! What's this crazy world coming to.

Seriously though, back when I was a kid all we had was Atari until 1985 (I was 6) when the NES released. When I finally got one around 1987, I got to play it as a reward for finishing my homework and bringing home good grades. Being an adult now, I'm a PS4 guy and play online fairly often between 9 pm and midnight because I'm a night owl and everyone else is in bed by then. I've actually been in a chat party with a dude who got so mad that when he threw his controller, it was plugged and charging and the PS4 went right behind it. Haven't seen or heard from him since then. That's what playing with aggression will do to a person. I've never thrown my controller, or slammed it down. My fiance's friend has a 6 year old son and they got him a PS4 for Christmas and he'd already broken the remote by throwing it at the tv which went black and flickered after it was hit.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: eNumbra

The sound of clicking plastic!

From a boom stick.

So 'real'.

It’s a shame, you seem to have become a caricature of your own views Neo.

I couldn't agree more.

It's like some people are trying to be awful lately.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Banning video games? The ones with blood, killing and much violent than others are Parental Advisory +18. The problem are parents who for their sake peace would buy a Grand Theft Auto or other violent game. They do believe their child are smarter than other and he/she is not serial killer. To violent games you have to add parents who are not 'with' child anymore.
I played a lot of these types of games before 18 and still serial killers are something unimagible.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting

Yup scabbards are made of wood and mine do not make a swishing sound also, It would knacker the blade It the scabbard was metal.

I guess if the scabbard was made of metal it would indeed make a swish upon deployment; but in the movies there's a swish every single time the actor moves his sword around in the air.

I've tried it, with several swords lenght and sharpness. It requires a huge drastic motion and a lot of speed to get a swish in the air, movements and speeds which are incompatible with the actor's motions in the movies.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

I watched a cheetah chase down and eat a gazelle on TV-so violent! let's censor documentaries! I also watched a news report of Polynesian islands been affected by rising sea levels-sure it's fake news but hey lets censor climate change anyway!

I don't see Trump doing anything, because 1. all these crimes existed long before video games and movies existed, and 2. The video game and movie industry rake in hundreds of millions if not billions a year in taxes, and we know Trump's star sign is the dollar sign.

School shootings were around before video games? I seem to remember the big ones all started in the 90's. I don't remember them when I was a kid in the 70's and 80's. We had guns then, plenty of them. We had pac man, and tempest, in arcades. We had atari, graphics weren't all that good. We had three channels. Mostly news. We didn't have a barrage of media telling us what to think. I don't remember my friends hopped up on drugs to help them "concentrate". We were respectful of others, or we got our asses busted.

Something changed, or rather, lots of somethings changed.

We need to figure out why our culture thinks like this, while other places just don't. Maybe it is the guns. But based on the common sense approach of thinking about the past, I just don't see it.

That's how it was when I was a kid, too. That was in the 80's though. If you've never listened to, or read the lyrics to a song called "Different World" by Bucky Covington, you should give a go. It makes a lot of sense.

We were born to mothers who smoked and drank
Our cribs were covered in lead based paint
No child proof lids, no seat belts in cars
Rode bikes with no helmets, and, still, here we are, still, here we are
We got daddy's belt when we misbehaved
Had three TV channels you got up to change
No video games and no satellite
All we had were friends, and they were outside, playin' outside
It was a different life
When we were boys and girls
Not just a different time
It was a different world
School always started the same every day
The pledge of allegiance, then someone would pray
Not every kid made the team when they tried
We got disappointed and that was all right; we turned out all right
It was a different life
It was a different world
No bottled water, we drank from a garden hose
And every Sunday all the stores were closed
It was a different life
It was a different world

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 07:55 AM
link   
When did my little pony come out? you can bet they are part of the reason also.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: testingtesting

Hey! Leave MLP out of it.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

How is saying we may need to limit what can be portrayed in video games once graphics get to a certain point any different than saying we may need to limit what types of guns are available to the public once they reach a certain fire rate?

In both cases your regulating Amendments based on potentialities. If it's okay to censor video games then it is also okay to place limits on guns.

We already have limits on guns.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Mind you I'm glad they add the swishing noises.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Well-raised children could spend hours a day playing violent video games, have access to guns and still never want to hurt others in real life.

Keeping the broken ones from exposure to any sort of violent imagery might help.

How about we work on having less broken kids.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Why do we put so much stock in slimey little self-proclaimed journalist weasels that can take a "We have to do something" and add anything afterwards that they want to after that ? Anything at all that sounds good to them...

Why does all this go around after every single mass shooting ever ?
1) We have to ban suppressors
2) We have to ban automatic "guns"
3) We have to ban clips
4) We have to ban "long guns" whatever the eff that is....
5) We have to ban violent movies
6) We have to ban video games
7) We have to ban tuna
8) We have to ban blue and yellow striped shirts (on Wednesdays only)
Damn , its like living in a sort of "Groundhog Day" freakin movie....
Lets just ban eternally banning something...

End Rant

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: testingtesting

Yeah, me too.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Thirty6BelowZero

And we already have regulations on games and movies. If a game is violent enough it gets an AO rating, children can't purchase it, and it sells no very few copies because no major retailer will carry it. The same goes for movies and the NC-17 rating.

If you make a game or movie that gets one of those ratings its pretty much a death sentence for your product.

So why do we need to have a conversation on games and movies when there are already regulations in place?

link   
Double post
edit on 2/23/2018 by Xcalibur254 because: (no reason given)

link   

He's right, the three stooges are the real reason for the violence in this world.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 08:11 AM
link   

I posted before I saw this. lol

But for real the stooges didn't fake there stunts. They really hurt each other.

And if seeing that real violence didn't turn kids into murders the fake stuff of today sure wont.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 08:24 AM
link   

If you've ever played Call of Duty, you'd hear little kids calling every cuss word in the book, from ni**er to motherf***ker. I owned the first or second one for about a week before I took it back.

FWIW, I don't think video games are the problem. I think the problem is adults buying the games for their children and letting their children have unsupervised free reign with the game(s). We have a game night at my house, and last weekend it was "Hearing Things" that we played. Someone puts a headset on that makes sounds while another person reads a saying on a card. Then the person wearing the headphones tries to guess what that person is saying. I even had an old friend from High School there with his son and we all played. He drove almost 1200 miles to my town for our 20 year reunion.

These are the kinds of games that make the memories.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Thirty6BelowZero

I dont get mad when i play. We laugh usually. Although the new COD has terrible shot tracking and it does get frustrating sometimes. Otherwise i laugh about my terrible game play and celebrate my good game play.

I also dont mic up. I don't want to talk to other people. They are usually annoying.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Trust a shallow, mindless buffoon, to approach a deep and nuanced problem, with an approach imbued with all the depth and complexity of a spilled shotglass.

Computer games and movies are not the problem here. People are the problem. If an individual cannot absorb a piece of media without being programmed by it, then that individual is the problem, not the media in question, regardless of whether its shoot'em up video games or action movies.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Action movies still existed though and they present the violence in a more realistic way. Not only that it was easier for children to consume violent media in those days as the PG-13 rating did not exist at that point.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join