It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archaeologists Think They've First-Ever Evidence of a Legendary Biblical Prophet

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Archaeologists Think They've Found First-Ever Evidence of a Legendary Biblical Prophet

The Biblical figure Isaiah who prophesied the coming of the Messiah may have been an actual real person.

Researchers have found an ancient clay seal from around the time he was reportedly alive, marked with his name.

It was found just 3 metres from where the bulla of King Hezekiah of Judah, to which Isaiah was an adviser, was found in 2015.

"We appear to have discovered a seal impression, which may have belonged to the prophet Isaiah, in a scientific, archaeological excavation," said lead author Eilat Mazar of the Hebrew University in Jerusalem.

www.sciencealert.com...

Wow! actually I love this era, one of the key points of history, the glory of the bronze kings would soon be eclipsed, new super powers were challenging the old established order, Iron the new technology would triumph, in this era the first of the Abrahamic religion would be solidified according to Henry T Aubin in his book The Rescue of Jerusalem.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 05:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

As much as I'd love to believe that, I can't. We're more likely to hear about the truth from Russian prisoners from planet Donk than we are about anything on Earth. Sorry.

+8 more 
posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 06:02 AM
link   
a reply to: JugHead

What? Why not?

They found a seal impression with the name Isaiah.
There is literal proof of a great phophets existence and signature for seals and tablets. Not much else needs to be said other than it's no longer a story or a passed down tale of some prophet.

This may be the concrete evidence 100's of scholars have been looking for.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Great find!

Mankind is getting closer everyday to understand its past and how we ended up here.

Good thing it's a serious scientific research. S+F!

Either way, some people will not believe if it contradicts their current beliefs. Just sad. Open your mind!
edit on 23/2/2018 by vinifalou because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 06:06 AM
link   
a reply to: havok

Yeah I know right? I dunno, I just feel like these boys are lying about it. It's not like that's new to any of us, lying is a profession in the USA. with this stuff. I'm like Siskel and Ebert ok, I usually make my own mind. If they can prove more than maybe i'll believe it. Maybe.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 06:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: vinifalou
Great find!

Mankind is getting closer everyday to understand its past and how we ended up here.

Good thing it's a serious scientific research. S+F!

Either way, some people will not believe if it contradicts their current beliefs. Just sad. Open your mind!

We've been getting 'closer everyday to all kinds of #' for the past 50 Decades. WTF makes this one any different?

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Not if "Isaiah" was a name in general use, which is very possible.
This is a "theophoric" name (combining the name of God with one of the qualities of God), and that form of name was certainly very popular in the Old Testament period.
Similarly "Micah". There is a prophet called Micah, a different prophet called Micaiah, and another unrelated Micah in the book of Judges. Those are just the ones we know about.
It's possible that this seal belongs to a more anonymous Isaiah.

edit on 23-2-2018 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 07:21 AM
link   

If you can't see why it's different then there's no point in this conversation.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 07:42 AM
link   

i don't go and sleep in a cemetery just because i'll end up there one day.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 07:50 AM
link   

There are prophets alive today, what is to make some thousands of years ago anymore revered than the ones alive today? Maybe because time has proven their prophecies? We will keep making the same mistakes over & over thinking, nah he ain't nothin', than same people that ain't nothin' in these times become legends in the future.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 07:56 AM
link   

I can relate to and understand your cynicism.

But not everything is a lie. There are many things we should question in this life, and I can see why any doubts remain. But if humans find evidence of historical figures that have been doubted to even exist, we should try to take what they say seriously.

I see no reason to lie about this evidence. According to the article, all the artifacts found are lining up to the king at the time, and now the kings adviser named Isaiah.

But hey who knows.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
Not if "Isaiah" was a name in general use, which is very possible.
This is a "theophoric" name (combining the name of God with one of the qualities of God), and that form of name was certainly very popular in the Old Testament period.
Similarly "Micah". There is a prophet called Micah, a different prophet called Micaiah, and another unrelated Micah in the book of Judges. Those are just the ones we know about.
It's possible that this seal belongs to a more anonymous Isaiah.

Agreed. The evidence here isn't solid enough to make a significant conclusion.

The article itself says:

The seal could have belonged to some other Isaiah hanging around at the time, since the name was a common one, and bullae commonly reference the signatory's father. Isaiah's father was not Navi, but Amoz.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Cool find.

Maybe circumstantial, but add it to the mountain of other archaeological evidence that supports Biblical history and it paints a nice picture.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   

It's interesting, for sure. While I'm an atheist, I have long been interested in biblical archaeology, because even though I don't subscribe to the supernatural happenings claimed in the Bible, the stories are very interesting, but lack a lot of tangible credibility.

If the historicity of the Bible can be proven piece by piece, that's pretty cool.

With that said, there's only circumstantial evidence right now that this is the Isaiah of the bible.

Now, find some archaeological proof that Enoch and Elijah were real and disappeared without a trace, and things will start getting interesting...maybe an ancient milk jug with their pictures on it?

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: havok

What? Why not?

They found a seal impression with the name Isaiah.
There is literal proof of a great phophets existence and signature for seals and tablets. Not much else needs to be said other than it's no longer a story or a passed down tale of some prophet.

This may be the concrete evidence 100's of scholars have been looking for.

They found something with a name on it.

Doesn't mean much other than the name was used a long time ago.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
Cool find.

Maybe circumstantial, but add it to the mountain of other archaeological evidence that supports Biblical history and it paints a nice picture.
However, Biblical archaeology comes with its own sets of pressures from both Church and State. I can think of no other branch that is so subject to confirmation bias.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   

I just feel like these boys are lying about it.

alright boys, case closed, shut her down! this guys got a feeling!

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Guys I get the skepticism along With some well thought out criticism, but if
Hezekiah was a real King of Judea doesn't it stand to reason that his famous advisor would be recorded somewhere??
edit on 23-2-2018 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

I can think of no other branch that is so subject to confirmation bias.

Really, what about "man made" climate change? I can't think of a branch of science that is scrutinized as heavily as Biblical archaeology.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   
When I was a kid I had a Batman logo on a rubber stamp. I guess that in a couple thousand years, Batman will have been a real person, too.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join