It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Even when leaving out gun homicide, US homicide rate still higher than other advanced nations

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: ScepticScot

Its less a legal problem than an interpersonal and coping skill problem.

My son believes its a school problem and schools will have to solve it. Hes a teacher for students with behavoiral problems in San Antonio. The bad kids that get kicked out of class. I was a bit surprised by the viewpoint.

In terms of school shootings I agree that the fundamental issue goes far deeper than just the availability of guns. Kids don't go decide to shoot a bunch of their class mates just because they can.

There is a lot more needing to be done to deal with the underlying issues. The problem is that these issues are extremely complicated and there is no obvious fix.

In the meantime the easy availability of guns means that when these kids do crack the consequences are much more severe.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cabin
I decided to make a small research to find out, what is the homicide rate in different countries, when gun crime is not taken into account.

I took two articles in Wikipedia to make the comparison. 'I decided to take into account largest nations in Europe and Nordic nations.

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

From the first article, I took only homicides into account leaving out suicides, unintentional, undetermined.
From the second article I took into account the intentional homicide part.

Then I made a comparison between those two, comparing the difference of intentional homicides made with guns and total homicides. The results can be seen in the following table.

What is surprising for me is the fact, that the homicide rate with other weapons of choice is still higher in the US compared to other advanced nations (except France). Homicides with firearms make up nearly 75% of total US homicide rate, which is over 3 times higher than in other advanced nations, although even without it, the murder rate with other weapons is still higher compared to other nations.

What causes such high murder rates in the United States, even when gun crime is not taken into account? What is the cause behind such a high violence?

It won't be politically correct, but you have to factor in race when looking at crime statistics. Then start asking the "Why's".

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: DanteGaland
a reply to: watchitburn

Ever been to ALABAMA....?

www.newsweek.com...

*grumbling* Or Mississippi ...

Or any reservation?

There's a great deal of America that people drive by without noticing...and it's very 3rd world-esque.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: DanteGaland
a reply to: watchitburn

Ever been to ALABAMA....?

www.newsweek.com...

*grumbling* Or Mississippi ...

You mean the Democrat areas? Yes lots of problems there.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi

I decided to make a small research to find out, what is the homicide rate in different countries, when gun crime is not taken into account.

I took two articles in Wikipedia to make the comparison. 'I decided to take into account largest nations in Europe and Nordic nations.

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

From the first article, I took only homicides into account leaving out suicides, unintentional, undetermined.
From the second article I took into account the intentional homicide part.

Then I made a comparison between those two, comparing the difference of intentional homicides made with guns and total homicides. The results can be seen in the following table.

What is surprising for me is the fact, that the homicide rate with other weapons of choice is still higher in the US compared to other advanced nations (except France). Homicides with firearms make up nearly 75% of total US homicide rate, which is over 3 times higher than in other advanced nations, although even without it, the murder rate with other weapons is still higher compared to other nations.

What causes such high murder rates in the United States, even when gun crime is not taken into account? What is the cause behind such a high violence?

It won't be politically correct, but you have to factor in race when looking at crime statistics. Then start asking the "Why's".
that's racist.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Now exclude the homicide rates for Chicago, DC, Baltimore, and New Orleans and we are in the bottom 5 in the world.

Just these 4 cities throw off the numbers for our entire country.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: PraetorianAZ
Now exclude the homicide rates for Chicago, DC, Baltimore, and New Orleans and we are in the bottom 5 in the world.

Just these 4 cities throw off the numbers for our entire country.

I very much doubt thats true, do you have a source?

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Its not true. If you add up the top murder cities in the US it lowers our rate from 4.88 to 4.01, placing us between Burundi and Lebanon per capita.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Its not true. If you add up the top murder cities in the US it lowers our rate from 4.88 to 4.01, placing us between Burundi and Lebanon per capita.

So a significant reduction but no where near the drop claimed.

Exactly what we were talking about earlier. Ridiculous exaggeration and Chery picking (and again I include both sides) makes it difficult to actually have a reasonable discussion about what actually does influence the high rate in the US.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Yeah, i backed into what the population size was since it wasn't mentioned. 319.5mil seems to be what was used (although it was higher in 2015 when the numbers were pulled...I believe 323.5, based on estimates).

Popped it into a graphic so we can see what cities i included. I can amend the list if someone would like to see another city like New Orleans included (i didn't easily find their data).

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Easy...
The destruction of the nuclear family.
Fatherless young boys getting their moral guidance from people like Jay-Z or Richard Spencer is having a disastrous effect. But pay no attention to the underlying issue let's all focus on the tool's these people use to destroy life.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join