It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India Upends Its Single-Engine Fighter Competition and Will Also Consider Twin-Engine Jets

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Its beginning to become a bit of a soap opera and no doubt they are attempting to wring every possible concession out of vendors. India has changed the terms of its fighter completion and will now allow twin engine aircraft. Until now the two contenders were the Block 70 F-16 and the Grippen NG. This now allows the F-18E Advanced, the Typhoon, the Rafale, and perhaps some sort of Flanker Du Jur to compete.

What remains to be seen is how much influence the Indian Navy has in this because they are looking at a fighter as well and economies of scale (plus offsets) may rule the day. Which would favor the Rafale (they are already buying 36 but there are issues) and the Hornet. The Flanker IMHO is a longshot given the issues that have had in the past.

www.thedrive.com...

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

Boeing made one hell of an offer when they put the Hornet out there. That had to be something to get them seriously talking.

posted on Mar, 8 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

thewire.in...

posted on Mar, 8 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

Every time our procurement pisses me off, I go look at India and realize it could be worse.

posted on Mar, 8 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Bite your tongue.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Well, Zaph, just when you didn't think the Indians couldn't find a way to mess this up more...

The Indian Air Force reportedly is set to formally reboot its plans to purchase nearly 115 fighter jets within weeks, but it may tie any final contract to a demand that it also receive technical assistance for its domestic fifth generation fighter project. This decision would seem to confirm ongoing reports that India is not happy with the progress of its existing stealth fighter deal with Russia, might again give Lockheed Martin an upper hand since it is already building the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter, and could just further complicate the already protracted attempts to get any new aircraft.

On March 11, 2018, The Hindustan Times reported that India would begin sending out official requests for information to companies looking to submit bids on the fighter jet tender by the first week of April. In February 2018, it emerged that the India Air Force would halt an existing plan to buy 114 single-engine fighter jets and rewrite the requirements to open the deal up to twin-engine designs, as well. The revised deal will now include the winning firm to transfer potentially sensitive technology to support the Indian military’s fifth generation fighter program, known as the Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA).

www.thedrive.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 03:47 PM
link   

See? I feel a lot better about the KC-46 now.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 05:02 PM
link   
At least the F35 engines work.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 06:29 PM
link   
This is just a curious question like a usually ask, but why would BAE sell them Typhoons? They have had previous buyings with Hawks. I had to google to see what aircraft India in their Airforce as to thinking western aircraft weren't favoured but soon noticed the Indians love a bit of everything when it's comes to aircraft. I'm presuming it's down to the Indians whether they think a Typhoon is good enough or liked

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

They could, but the point is whoever signs the agreement for the sale, agrees to help develop a 5th gen fighter...that's a huge hook.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

They're slowly turning more towards the west. Their last few deals with Russia have left them extremely unhappy.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Oh getting screwed over on the carrier that became, what? triple the cost? Then the disaster of the Su-57/FGFA. Then the attempted screwing over for the Brahmos-II. Yeah, just a few times.

So, back to the Indian fighter competition:

Boeing is viewed as the front runner with their sweet deal.

www.reuters.com...

Then the plot twist...the head of US Pacific Command supports the sale of the F-35 to the Indians. First US gov commentary to any effect in public.

www.thedrive.com...

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Contractor support from Sukhoi, MiG, and NPO Saturn has been generally less than satisfying as well. Probably more directly relevant in this potential purchase.

I'd think going ahead with the extant Rafale purchase and expanding it with better terms is probably a better deal than the SH. If they really go Boeing, then they should dump the Rafale. Zero reason to field both. Both companies are desperate for an export deal. Squeeze them, and simplify your supply line and training all at the same time.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 04:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThePeaceMaker
This is just a curious question like a usually ask, but why would BAE sell them Typhoons? They have had previous buyings with Hawks. I had to google to see what aircraft India in their Airforce as to thinking western aircraft weren't favoured but soon noticed the Indians love a bit of everything when it's comes to aircraft. I'm presuming it's down to the Indians whether they think a Typhoon is good enough or liked

I dont think any jet manufacturer would turn down an opportunity, you would probably just be more aware of who you are dealing with and act appropriately.

If BAE were bitten by Hawk India, and I dont think they were, the most they would probably do is cost appropriately for India, what that may mean is that the Tiffy price is higher and doesnt get selected. On the other hand, bidding at a slight loss of profit (but still profit) and it keeps the production lines open for more lucrative deals to the ME or perhaps Canada or even as anza said other 'benefits'.

I personally wouldnt touch India again, but then BAE dont pay me anymore!

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Forensick The IAF should do the F-18 Super Plus block 3; with the engineering already done for the stealthy version, remember mid and aft fuselage in the bone yard; would really like to see the forward fuselage of that.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: airyspace2015

The 'stealthy' Rhino isn't very.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   

What, you mean you can't just slap some RAM on and change the shape slightly and get a stealthy platform?

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   

OMG. I am so sorry. You're right. Shaping has nothing to do with stealth!

I just need to remember round is square. War is peace. Red is blue. And just because I say something makes it true.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   

And man proved that black is white and went on to be killed at the next zebra crossing.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   
www.cnbc.com...

Trumps on board for that stealthy f-18

top topics

<<   2 >>

join