It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parkland: What percent of Americans charge the building???

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

Hi Angeldoll!

Saw your comment about not being a coward but shaking like a leaf! I feel ya about that. lol .

For me it's teeth chattering. lol. I'm helpless and tell those going in with me, no worries, as soon as we step out of the vehicle it will stop and no one is more focused after that then I.

Not much to say about the officer doing nothing but could of distracted the kid if not engaging. One thing, 4 minutes is a loooooonng time in these kinda situations. It's good he resigned, too bad it wasn't sooner though. Too bad there wasn't a way to test officers before they hit the streets

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

He was responding to a shooter..

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

No one wants to ban firearms..

The farthest left thing that has ever even been proposed is to ban the making of NEW assault rifles... with a grand father clause in keeping the millions presently in circulation perfectly legal to own and resell.

It is a conservative rape fantasy...

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

The correct move is him being fired and we move on.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan she didn’t say it was full auto..

You can sweep around with a semi auto far more effectively than you could a handgun.. just the bullet velocity and magazine capacity OBVIOUSLY make it a more effective killing machine..

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Fired for what???

WE DO NOT PAY COPS TO SAVE PEOPLE...

We should be.. that should be part of the job description.. but it isn’t.. you can’t blame a guy for how you wish things were. Before you make any policy changes to make it that way...

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
a reply to: DBCowboy

No one wants to ban firearms..

The farthest left thing that has ever even been proposed is to ban the making of NEW assault rifles... with a grand father clause in keeping the millions presently in circulation perfectly legal to own and resell.

It is a conservative rape fantasy...

banning guns addresses a fundamental right of all Americans to feel safe

www.thedailybeast.com...

DC made unregistered guns illegal and did not allow registration banning guns.

Then we have liberal activist judges who said the right no longer applied.

But no, no one at all. No attack at all on the 2nd.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: tayton

That is the point of the OP.. how many cops would have charged the building, and how many would have waited for backup??

I bet like 4% charges in solo..

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   

His job was to protect the school if I'm not mistaken. He clearly can't do his job and needs to find another.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 10:02 AM
link   
A woman it training yesterday wanted to know if the cop was supposed to shoot the kid in the back or what. Just shoot him back or front, side, top, ass whatever.

She thinks he should have ordered him to drop the gun then rushed him and took it away.

She left because we were laughing at her.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   

The guy had a handgun and the killer had a AK47. Really not a fair fight and at any distance (unless he was very good) he could have easily have hit students.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I've been in a life or death risk my life for someone I didn't even like situation. I took a second, looked around, grumbled when saw no one else was stepping up and reluctantly rushed to the rescue at risk of myself. So I'm a rather not do it myself, but won't just sit there if no one else immediately steps up type in an emergency life threatening situation type. I'd like to say I'm an instant hero, but I'm not. I'm better than the people that just sit there, but that moment of hesitation I have can cost lives. At least I won't just watch things happen til their conclusion and will at least try before too long.

As to what percentage of people step up? Unfortunately not many. I'd say maybe 1 in 10 if you're lucky. Considering all the stories of people being violated while 20+ people did nothing I don't have much hope for many humans on the hero front.

Heroes are like villains the smaller part of humanity each playing a big role while most humans go about their daily lives protecting only themselves and those they really care about, wanting little more than to just live from the day to day. They aren't bad or good, they're simply people.

Unfortunately it only takes a few rotten apples to ruin the whole bunch, so the few truly bad people can make a big difference as they tend to be proactive and offensive by nature, and the truly good people tend to be rare and tend to be more reactive and defensive than proactive and offensive so their affect on the world tends to be less pervasive than the truly bad people.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 10:23 AM
link   
There is a lot of variables here that nobody is addressing.

It is all well and good to say that you would charge into the school and take out the shooter, but, lets take a look at a few things.

1. Can you get into the school? Since Columbine schools have been locking all of their exterior doors to control who can enter.
2. How do you identify the shooter? Do you shoot the first person that you see with a weapon? For all you know it could be somebody reacting the same way that you are. It could be a teacher who ignored the school rules and brought their own weapon.

3. What if you run into police or school security coming the other way? They don't know you or your intents, you could be the one getting shot.

I went to college when I was in my late 30s. At the time I had an armed security guard certification and a concealed carry permit. The college that I attended was in a not so nice section of town and most of my classes were at night so I carried a pistol. It was an open secret that I was armed. After the last class of the evening there would be people waiting for me at the door to the parking lot because they knew that I was armed.
After the Virginia Tech shooting one of my professors asked me what I would do if something like that were to happen there? I told him that I really hadn't thought it through. When I did I came up with the questions above.

I told my professor that if some thing like VT happened I would not go out to engage the shooter. We would get everybody in the corner furthest from the door. We would have somebody with a cell phone make contact with 911 to make sure that the police knew where we were at. I would cover the door and engage anybody with a weapon who wasn't a uniformed police officer. I would allow other people to come into the room after they were searched for a weapon. We would then wait for the police.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

If Parkland had locked its doors, im not sure how the shooter entered.

But identifying the guy with a rifle amongst a student body shouldn't be too hard.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Take a card off the first person you murder??

Demand entry at gunpoint then murder the person after inside..

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

Take a card off the first person you murder??

Demand entry at gunpoint then murder the person after inside..

Is that what he did? Im not asking for supposition. Im asking for what actually happened.

Another question: after Sandy Hook the Barricuda Door Wedge was promoted as a great solution. I notice that most schools have not implemented them. They are only $130 each.
edit on 2/23/2018 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 10:58 AM
link   
By this point every teacher should have a plan to secure their room. School supplies are tax deductible do it.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

How would you do searches at the door and cover the hallway???

You gonna need to be covering BOTH the person being searched AND watch for the shooter..

PLUS anyone preforming searches/being searched are horrible vulnerable in the hallway..

A) we know very few people INCLUDING cops would risk their lives to save a stranger..

So that just horribly lessens the effectiveness of security..

B) we know if you give too many people guns. Accidents will happen far more frequently than school shootings..

C) We know there are so many guns in circulation it is logistically impossible to police who has them..

D) locks won’t work if someone with a key is outside so they can be forced to hand it over..

E) we know school shootings happen to quickly for a swat response to help..

There is no fix..

We never should have let guns be treated like candy wrappers.. they are not toys.. they are functional tools and should be treated with the reverence they deserve..

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: mikell

Every teacher does.. those got implemented after columbine..

Even in colleges all the doors security lock and go through lock down procedures in orientation.

I assume all grade/highs cools do as well.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Usually the present security procedures (at least at my college) are to lock all side doors and keep the front doors unlocked for students to enter..

Hypothetically that funnels any attacker to the security desk..

I was referring to the hypothetical of every a student having a key card.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join