It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Armed FL school deputy Resigns after video shows he stood outside did nothing

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 09:01 PM
link   
At Columbine the school cop was hunkered down behind cars in the parking lot while the kids were being shot dead. These guys are a plague to the students and taxpayers. They spend most of their time arresting the kids for playing hooky.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 09:03 PM
link   

There have been court cases that ended up stating that law enforcement (there it is) officers have no duty to protect us.

Any wonder why most firearm owners won't roll over when it comes to removing firearms from the public's hands.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Look I agree he should have done something, it's his job to do so, I'm not justifying his inaction, I'm simply pointing out the reality.

It's unrealistic to believe that people will be good at their job, competent even , let alone risk their lives.

We all need a paycheck and often we do what we need to do to get that paycheck, that's why we have doctors that should not be doctors, weave teachers that shouldn't be teachers etc etc etc.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: EchoesInTime
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

He was the only person who could have stopped him in those six minutes that he was shooting. He had a gun. He didn't even try. How do you hear children screaming and getting shot to death and not even try? There's no excuse for that.

He is not the first to do what he did not will he be the last.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 09:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Look I agree he should have done something, it's his job to do so, I'm not justifying his inaction, I'm simply pointing out the reality.

It's unrealistic to believe that people will be good at their job, competent even , let alone risk their lives.

We all need a paycheck and often we do what we need to do to get that paycheck, that's why we have doctors that should not be doctors, weave teachers that shouldn't be teachers etc etc etc.

why is it so hard to understand

It was not his job

Period

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: HomelessWhiteMale

It was not his job

Period

So the security guards job was not security. OKeydokey so what was his job then?

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 09:33 PM
link   
So armed guards at schools would often be nothing more than a feel good item. Might be an item to strike from the list.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: HomelessWhiteMale

you realize he did do his job. What he didnt do was go beyond his official duties
An officer has no duty to protect anyone but himself
Its law

I know about those court decisions, but that begs the question: why do we need police, why is anyone expected to trust the police, if their only duty, heir only job, is to not get into a tough situation? We should just drop the salaries and equipment costs and reduce taxes.

Why pay someone to hide and stay safe?

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: HomelessWhiteMale

It was not his job

Period

So the security guards job was not security. OKeydokey so what was his job then?
his job is police officer

An officer has no duty to protect or aid anyone but themselves

The cases have been looked at. Its settled

I dont think "we" need them i think its a money making scheme by the city and state

Listen i dont like the police. I really really dont. But i cant blame them

In fact i think this retirement bs is just sweeping the fact the police are almost never helpful under a rug. the court cases that will exonerate this officer will not make the news
People will go back to thinking the cops care. More cops will get cushy jobs and the whole cycle will continue

I dont like it. But it is what it is.
Eta
I guess what im saying is blaming this one guy for doing his job should spotlight the whole messed up situation . we dog piling insults on this one guy and how hes a coward or whatever. Most cops ARE cowards thats why them going home overrides someone else going home.

edit on 22-2-2018 by HomelessWhiteMale because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Interesting thought.

If the job is then is investigate crime after the fact and not be proactive, why guns, gear, etc. Just head to the scene when the call comes in that a crime was or may have been committed.

All the more reason to be able to defend one's own house and life.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: MteWamp

But always keep in mind that a 6-year-old can put you in the HOSPITAL...

They're like small, REALLY cute nuclear weapons...

LOL! Speaking as a wanna be gramps, I can't wait to play with me some of those cute nuclear weapons...

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Because then people wouldnt respect their (usually roadside) extortion rights

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

I know what you're saying, but I simply cannot and will not accept that situation. A job is not a charity... a job is exchange of labor for money. If the un-cop in this case was unwilling to give the labor (including the risks that go with it), he shouldn't have taken the money.

He did, and that makes him a thief, just as surely as a plumber that takes my money and doesn't fix the pipes. He should be forced to return every penny he made as a cop as well as his retirement, with accrued interest.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 10:08 PM
link   

But isnt that the point
He was under no oblogation to protect anyone but himself
Sure he could have been shot and that was a risk he took
but he took that risk its not his fault he didnt get shot

Thats like paying a plumber to come to your house to fix your light switch

Your expectations were wrong not the plumbers training

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 10:10 PM
link   

That's a valid question. You and I both know cops, one in particular, who would step in harms way, in an instant, with out any regard to his own health if kids were at risk.

...and where there's one, there's more.

What needs doing here is rather simple, if not easy. Proper screening, and then training, and more training. This isn't something that can be done over night, nor should it be. Hiring the right people, instead of enough warm bodies, followed by the training required to do the job as it needs doing.

Obviously there's no way in Hell on can guarantee that when that instance comes that man or woman won't freeze, or panic...simply no way. But training and hiring can go a tremendous ways in mitigating it.

Which raises the next question...or series of questions.

What sort of person is required in that sort of job?

I'd be curious to see peoples thoughts on that particular question.
edit on 2/22/2018 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

The sort of person i would look for is one that is ok with not coming home if that means civilians did. If you are willing to die for people you are welcome. If you think you "deserve" to go home no matter who else dies then gtfo

But it also means changing the laws so police are held accountable for the deaths that happened if they fail to act

It means making the object of "protect and serve" the people and not cities and states

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 10:17 PM
link   

I guess what im saying is blaming this one guy for doing his job should spotlight the whole messed up situation . we dog piling insults on this one guy and how hes a coward or whatever. Most cops ARE cowards thats why them going home overrides someone else going home.

I agree that he is far from the only one who deserves the label "coward," but I also have to say there are still a lot of good cops out there. They have my respect and my admiration for doing the job I don't want to do. Had one of them been at the school instead of this... this... coward, some of those kids might be alive today.

And there wouldn't be this stain of cowardice on the Sheriff's Department. His inaction harmed every good cop out there. I keep hoping the good cops will someday understand this and take a stand, but so far no.

We the people need to start demanding more from our civil servants. I don't expect someone to blindly charge into a hail of gunfire, but to not even try to enter the building? That's simply unacceptable, and his personal safety is a service I believe society can do without. He just happened to be the one who got caught by circumstance, but that does not excuse his actions in any way.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 10:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: MteWamp

But always keep in mind that a 6-year-old can put you in the HOSPITAL...

They're like small, REALLY cute nuclear weapons...

LOL! Speaking as a wanna be gramps, I can't wait to play with me some of those cute nuclear weapons...

TheRedneck

Haha..

A small word of advice, if I may, it's the dimples that you have to REALLY watch out for. It gives them an almost uncanny ability to reduce you to a quivering mass of tears with nothing more than an over-the-shoulder glance.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Your expectations were wrong not the plumbers training

If my expectations are wrong, then there should be no debate about gun control... except whether or not the cops need them. They can always cower in their corners, so why issue them a deadly weapon?

Instead let everyone else have a gun.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 10:21 PM
link   

I agree with the hope of good cops stepping up. Unfortunate that those who do typically get pushed out of a job

The systemic issue will likely never be solved though. To much money on the line and not enough good police to take a stand and cross that line of blue

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join