It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lets talk CCTV

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Has CCTV actually done any good preventing crimes? Murders? Gang crime? Stabbings? Bombings? Gun crime? Gun massacres? Rapes?

It hasn't because all these crimes are still committed on a daily basis. They are only good for 'after the crime' and in some cases, not even good enough for that... so, what was the REAL purpose for CCTV everywhere?

Hmmmm...

Only crime I can think of that it has prevented is 'Thieving' from shops and in some cases hasn't even prevented that.

Out on the streets nothing is private. Sounds like a good ad for... guess what? CCTV. ha ha.
edit on CSTThu, 22 Feb 2018 15:58:20 -06000000002803x020x0 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Unless they have the manpower to keep someone's eyes glued to those cameras 24/7/365, there's really no way that these cameras can prevent anything. It may discourage some of the more timid and less focused individuals who do fear the repercussions of being filmed in bad deeds, but having cameras has never stopped bank robberies or convenience store thefts.

The only real purpose (outside creating a facial recognition database of a cities citizens which I suspect may just be the main reason) is that the footage hopefully can be used to ID a perp after the fact.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I wouldn't worry about the cctv.. Be more worried about the camera/bug/tracking device in your pocket.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Subrosabelow

Even with someone sitting there watching cctv all day isn't going to prevent those crimes mentioned in the op.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Has CCTV actually done any good preventing crimes? Murders? Gang crime? Stabbings? Bombings? Gun crime? Gun massacres? Rapes?

That's not the main purpose of CCTV though, the main purpose is catching those who commit crimes in the act. How many criminals would still be on the loose if there was no video evidence of them committing the crime? A lot.
edit on 2/22/2018 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I have just been a key witness in a case where youths attempted to murder someone..

It pains me to say it as I firmly believe that CCTV does infringe on peoples privacy but as soon as the CCTV was shown and it was unquestionable that the accused where guilty indeed guilty pleas where then put in..

I am also toying with the Idea of installing a unit for my garden that I can view on my phone as I have a motorcycle stored and a fully equipped workshop with cycles worth more than my car. Plus I can see who is at the gate and as I am firmly taking myself out of society I can make instant decisions as to what to do about the person ringing the bell. Be it walk out and say hello, open trap door, or send out the dogs...

RA

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 04:48 PM
link   

try the google.

Cameras help when you aren't watching. You are free to not put any up, but when your home is broken into, be sure to ask the police to "dust for prints".

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   

it may not have prevented them but they help when building a case or protecting soneone from a false accusation. Where I work they have helped people on both sides of the fence..

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 05:10 PM
link   
nope .
other than providing a nice income for the cctv sellers .

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Deterrence and yes, identifying suspects and evidence in the aftermath.

Or covering up and denying it, whichever.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   
We originally installed CCTV cameras in the UK to deter IRA bombers and to remove muggers alleys in tower blocks, railway station overpasses and tunnels. They also khelped deter creepy/weird people hassling women.

Detectives could watch the CCTV and identify who planted packages in rubbish bins. We now have transparent bag rubbish bins or no bins at all. Video analytics or just a CCTV operator can watch camera screens and call the pilice of something suspicious happens.

Awkward thing is that video storage capacity is only 24 hours and the resolution degrades due to distance.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 12:41 AM
link   

CCTV will be useful for tracking crowd movement during times of serious unrest.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 06:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

That's not the main purpose of CCTV though, the main purpose is catching those who commit crimes in the act. How many criminals would still be on the loose if there was no video evidence of them committing the crime? A lot.

But it's too late, people have been murdered and raped by the time anyone is caught. Families are still left distraught. May be able to put whoever done it on trial but cctv still didn't prevent the loss of life or a life of misery.

top topics

join