It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump: I never said 'give teachers guns'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Trump? Flip flopping again? Say it ain't so!

President Trump in a series of tweets early Thursday denied that he suggested giving teachers guns to prevent mass school shootings, instead saying he would consider giving trained teachers concealed weapons.

Trump said he suggested at a White House meeting giving concealed guns to "teachers with military or special training experience," adding that a gun free school is a "magnet for bad people."

"I never said 'give teachers guns' like was stated on Fake News @CNN & @NBC. What I said was to look at the possibility of giving 'concealed guns to gun adept teachers with military or special training experience — only the best," Trump tweeted.

thehill.com...

Here's his tweet earlier that day:

He tweeted in favor of this idea 3 times that same day:
twitter.com...

I have no doubt ATSers will come to his defense and say arming teachers is a fantastic idea! But the crux of the OP is, he flip flopped over a course of a day and blatantly lied about what he said (for the millionth time). Did his advisors strap him down and force him to change course? I suspect so. Given the backlash officials in Florida are getting over this issue it would make sense for him to be pulled aside over his tweets. That being said, once again Trump demonstrates his inability to be honest about his positions. Lie after lie after lie. He's just very forgetful I take it. Maybe he can go with that angle.

+17 more 
posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   
So training is irrelevant to you? Just a throw away concept to Southern Guardian? Got it...

link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
I have no doubt ATSers will come to his defense and say arming teachers is a fantastic idea!

I look back on my high school career and if my French teacher had a tactical thermonuclear device she would have been justified to deploy it on me on more than one occasion.

link   
He's a known liar. He says whatever he needs to say at the moment.

The issue for me is that he is conditioning a large swath of the population to accept this as the norm. We now have people open-hardheartedly accepting and rooting for dishonesty.

I don't know how we go back from this.

+3 more 
posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Isn't this just clarification of a statement? Why call him a liar?

+21 more 
posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Your OP isn't internally consistent.

Trump states he didn't say something that you are quoting him saying immediately afterwards. Could be hes the worlds stupidest liar. More likely that you failed to understand what he is saying.

+6 more 
posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   
The amount of energy a small group of you obsessed guys are putting into our president is kind of scary.

Do you guy make Donald voodoo dolls that you stick pins in?

I would check you guys out if I was secret service.

+11 more 
posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Sorry if I've got hold of the wrong end of the stick but it clearly states in the tweet you posted "highly trained, gun adept teachers". Which is exactly what you're saying he said in his follow up statement, so, based on that, it seems pretty consistent and is a long way from "give all teachers guns"?
What am I missing?

ETA: and in the tweet you linked it says "very weapons talented teachers (and others)"

So again, consistent (and implying other trained individuals on site, not just teachers).

Now, whether that's actually a good idea or not is another discussion altogether but I fail to see how this is trump flip-flopping or lying or whatever?
edit on 22-2-2018 by Indrasweb because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Agreed.

I believe this is what we call "A Stretch"

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I actually agree with Trump about arming teachers. (so long as they had some sort of training.)

Now he claims he never said it. I am getting a glimpse of what his cult must go through. How do they do it I wonder it is so conflicting. lol

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 02:31 PM
link   

If this isn't a reason to impeach, then I don't know what one is.

Of course teachers should never be armed.

Only our government masters and criminals should!

How in the HELL are we ever going to get to "police-state" status if everyone is running around with guns!

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Both sides are incorrectly approaching this. What he did is more subtle.....

At first he insinuates that strapping the gun on a teacher is phase 1. Phase 2 would be then training said teachers to use the firearms before they actually come into class packing heat.

The clarification he is attempting is moving the goal post in a different direction. Now hes stating that the guns would go to those already trained.....

So in short. Theres no way to call him a liar on this. Even though he is in fact, backtracking and rephrasing.
edit on 22-2-2018 by bknapple32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 02:35 PM
link   

But if you watched the discussion the one dad suggested it and he really did reply (paraphrasing) "concealed guns to gun adept teachers, we would give them training...."

Personally I think it's a terrible idea to give guns to teachers especially overworked and underpaid ones which is basically all of them.
But I also don't get why it shouldn't be possible to make schools closed ground with gate security and a metal detector at the main entrance.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   
why do you care? utah already does this.... havent seen you bitch about them

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kharron
He's a known liar. He says whatever he needs to say at the moment.

The issue for me is that he is conditioning a large swath of the population to accept this as the norm. We now have people open-hardheartedly accepting and rooting for dishonesty.

I don't know how we go back from this.

You have just spoken ''that which must not be spoken''.. But truthfully this conditioning has been going on for a while. The block buster movies and tv shows that make no sense. With thin plots that do not hold together. Big bangs and chases to amuse us and the plot be damned. Lots of tension and angst finally resolved by non-sequitur conclusions. The notion of ''suspension' of disbelief'' that is necessary to being enthralled by so many block busters seems to now hold sway with political allegiances.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I'm not averse to letting CCW teachers carry on campus.

But before we "give them guns" why not give them keys? A locked door does a decent job of keeping people out, and forces them to make a big old racket to get in. Exterior doors should always be locked. Interior doors like class doors should always be locked. Students who aren't on time are tardy...why does the door need to be open?

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
So training is irrelevant to you? Just a throw away concept to Southern Guardian? Got it...

Anybody ask a teacher? Swat team cometh, teacher.... with gun...dead teacher.
edit on 22-2-2018 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Just reading your title you made it sound like he said "I never said anything about teachers and guns."

He corrected the news to say what he said in the first place.

I hate trump, but gawd, can you read? your own post goes against your thread title. Hate trumps truth??
What is wrong with everybody these days?

You're as bad as him if you are so loose on reality.

here have a laugh since this is a waste of thread space without some substance..

As for giving highly trained teachers guns?
I think Im ok with that. We had school police anyway... patrolling with their guns. I don't see a huge difference. Just my opinion.. I havn't done studies on reducing school shootings myself.

many states have armed teachers. Its obviously not THE answer. Other measures need to be taken. What those look like I do not know.
edit on 22-2-2018 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Your OP isn't internally consistent.

Just like Trumps' statement's-Bah dum tsch!

'We will build a wall and the Mexican government will pay for it.' Still no wall, still no Mexican funding.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Anybody ask a teacher? Swat team cometh, teacher.... with gun...dead teacher.

Hey, everybody, we shouldn't defend ourselves in kind against evil doers because the authorities might shoot us when they arrive. (Please never mind the fact that the SWAT team announces their presence and generally orders everyone to drop and put their hands out over their heads and any armed teacher defending students in that scenario would almost certainly not decide that it made for a good time to practice #BLM level idiocy like being beligerant with a cop simply for the sake of street cred.)

Y'all are funny folks. By funny, I mean funny HeeHee, not funny HaaHaa.

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join