It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ban schools

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 01:29 PM
link   
The public education system is broke and broken.

It spends untold amounts of money, and gets mostly mediocre results.

Remember that kid from your high school who became a famous scientist....or sports figure? No, they narly exist.

Even if sports were a noble pursuit, why are taxpayers footing the bill? Isn't the mandate for ~education~, not for millions of dollars spent to give a few kids "a shot" at a pro career?

What happened in my area, instead of many kids from every town playing sports in their spare time, the school district has consolidated so that just a few kids are selected for the team, and it's self-serving benefits. The average kid is left out.

That's just one aspect. Academically, most kids can learn all they need in their own time at home. Kids could maybe report to "school" at their leisure to get instruction, or to "test out" of subjects after they have mastered them. No need to punch the clock with a bunch of other students who might have a bad influence, hold up the group, even actually injure them.

I remember the process at the last public school I attended....7:00am to catch the bus, 7:40 for homeroom 10 miles away from home, why? All that happened from then was glorifying the sports teams, forcing subjects that I had no interest in....and maybe a few classes I liked. Why keep the kids there like a prison?

It's actually insane and violates their rights. It also costs TONS of money to bus 1000 kids to the far end of the valley, to the big new school that is loarded over by more or less whackos under the guise of education.

Now we have the big new concern of school safety. I say the whole system is BROKEN, and needs a complete rethink. If kids CAN stay at home supervised by their parents, why can't they?

I would give a flippant answer to parents who are overly afraid of school safety issues, "hey it's not like anyone is FORCING your kids to go to school"....but wait, they are. Also to get vaccinations!

This is not one of my pet issues, I never had kids. But I do have a keen knowledge of schools, I got a taste of some good ones and some bad ones. Quaker "Friend's" schools were pretty good, so was the Bohemian hippy school I went to. Call teacher by first names, don't have to be on campus if you don't have a class (8th grade Chestnut Hill, PA)

I know things are very different now, that's the problem. Parents should be encouraged to keep kids home schooled, not discouraged. Also ramming a ton of different subjects on a kid who may excell at just few, why? Also get the sports OUT! Let parents who kid's play pay for that non-academic entertainment.

Schools should simply be a place that is available for whatever academic purpose the student's parent desires. The option for paranoid parents to send their kids to super-secure venues, well that should be at their expense. I have an answer for everything.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   
America would seriously ban schools before they put tighter restrictions on available weapons.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlackSkinhead
America would seriously ban schools before they put tighter restrictions on available weapons.

Ridiculous.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Also if schools were banned no kids would get shot there.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Do we even need the expense of operating an institution?

I mean we can look at cat pictures at the speed of light.

The information super highway was hijacked by pictures of Fluffy.

I can't even get an unbiased answer by google anymore.

edit on 2 by Mandroid7 because: added

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Ban schools and ban children

and there will be no school shootings

Problem solved

/sarc

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

America want to arm their teachers. If teachers don't want to be armed what are you left with? No teachers, thus, no schools.

Nothing is out of the realm of ridiculous when we're talking about America's love of weapons

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I think Western Governor's University has the model of the future and it's one of the reasons I chose to attend.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: BlackSkinhead

What we are left to is local and state issues.

Let them take care of their own snip.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: ErrorErrorError
Ban schools and ban children and there will be no school shootings
Problem solved.

If we just ban children, after a few years we won't need schools anyway.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: BlackSkinhead

The majority of gun owners look at guns as a tool like their drill, or target shooting recreation.

When I was in school, we actually brought guns and knives to school.

What changed in society that gave these people the idea of using guns for power?

What subset of society has this attitude, what subset of hollywood is pushing guns to gain power?

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Distemper shots for the kiddies.

Works on aggressive breeds of canines, and people seem to raise their children to act like the runt of the litter.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
What we are left to is local and state issues.
Let them take care of their own snip.

That's why we have states in the first place. The USA is not a homogeneous society.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyingFox

I live in LA but lived in Rockford, Illinois for 36 years, the state lottery in that state was supposed to go 100% into school funding, when it started. Yeah I don't think that happened.

Every school should have a metal detector at the door, like my school did back in 1989 and armed officers.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyingFox

Public school students are twice as likely to be physically assaulted in school as private school students. The fact is, private schools are far safer than public schools. (K-12 and private colleges, included.)

So...maybe government should stop collecting taxes for schools and education...and then we can use that money to build a privatized system where the government can't do *cough* whatever its doing that makes public schools so much more dangerous.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

Private schools can teach with systems that public schools can't right?

For instance, private Catholic schools teach more than just education they also foster a specific culture based on Judaic Christian values correct?

I don't have a problem with this just like I don't have a problem with any other school that fosters principles that don't conflict with the idea of freedom and or promote violence.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I think it's a great idea. Let people to learn on their own. Offer standard tests online. Apply to company, get job. School is a waste of time.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   
We could try banning murder.

Oh, wait...

...Bans don't work.

Stop applying more laws to a situation that cannot be fixed with more laws. All its doing is screwing things up for everyone else.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye
So...maybe government should stop collecting taxes for schools and education...and then we can use that money to build a privatized system where the government can't do *cough* whatever its doing that makes public schools so much more dangerous.

Like letting those damned poor kids in!

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Can we ban bans that are banning things?

Yes, the irony isn’t lost with that statement, but without burying the problem maybe we can properly begin to address it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join