It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has anyone asked Teachers what they want?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Several topics regarding teachers has floated around for quite a while. Should we let teachers carry guns, should we train teachers in defense, should we train teachers on specific situations like Florida and on and on. The question that is not being asked is do teachers want to do it???
It seems everyone has a solution for them without having them in the conversation.

I am not a teacher but I know a lot of teachers, by some weird coincidence almost my entire circle of friends, neighbors etc are all either teachers or professors. I know a lot of them are questioning their career right now.

Here is a scary thought, a lot of teachers want to protect their students but they also want to go home to their own families.
They have not signed up for this. Many may not want to give their lives for their students. It is harsh, but that is the reality.

I think we are going to have crippling teacher shortages in the near future, some areas already are experiencing it. The conspiracy part of me thinks there is a method to the madness, like eventually the military will be educating our children or something like that, or something similar to prisons.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I suspect that teachers will have diverse views on this, much like the rest of us. But it more than just what the teachers want. Students, parents, administrators and police need to be heard as well.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   
If anybody had a child at a school where there was a shooter you can bet they would rather all teachers carried a gun than didn't. There would be far more chance of their child surviving. Until you are in that situation you might not think like that.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Arming teachers is a sign of a failed society.....

One benefit though, if all teachers where armed, i bet the government would think twice in the future before cutting school funding

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Has anyone asked me WHAT I WANT?

I have committed no crime.

So why I am being held answerable to a capital or otherwise infamous crime I had nothing to do with is beyond me.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 12:34 PM
link   
How about throw a cop in the parking lot, then metal detector at the door?

Not to sound sexist, but most teachers are women, and most 15 year olds can overpower them.

edit on 2 by Mandroid7 because: added

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

There's this from February 2013: Survey: Teachers don't want to carry guns, do support armed guards

And then there's this from a couple days ago: Hundreds of Ohio teachers sign up for free concealed weapons class

I don't think anyone wants or expects that all teachers must be armed, but I'm sure there is some percentage that wants to be, and would be if allowed. No teacher should be forced to carry a firearm.

But it would seem from the survey that most teachers want someone to be armed, such as security guards, if not also teachers.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Some of these schools have thousands of students that rival college campuses. A cop at the door, or even a few cops probably wouldn't do much. The kid in Florida walked right in the door because he looked like the other kids. I worked in top security buildings during my career and I can't tell you how many time people held the door open for me even though it was against policy and that everyone were instructed to only use a key card.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

maybe as a responsible gun owner you should do something about all those who aren't responsible! ffs.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   
my daughter is a teacher and you all do not want her anywhere near a gun. she's as klutzy as I am.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Well consider this: darn near 100% of the school shooters currently or previously attended the schools they shot up. Maybe the teachers and school staff are part of the problem.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I doubt they want arming, I have worked in education and would not want 90% of the other teachers holding a weapon during any class.

No justifying losing control but it happens, would a gun have helped in this situation

maybe the "teacher" could have just pistol whipped him

Teacher body slams student

guns in school is not the answer, I seriuosly can not fathom how far from the norm that idea is, but hey its America, land of the "free"

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Reydelsol
Arming teachers is a sign of a failed society.....

The enactment of redundant laws and regulations are a sign of a failed society. One in which the underlying symptoms are never addressed and are ironically used as an excuse for more laws and regulations as those symptoms become worse.

Conservative teachers are rare and almost unheard of. Most teachers, being liberal minded, won't even agree to students drawing guns, much less talking about them.

You're going to try and forcibly arm a Trump hating, anti-gun liberal?

Good luck.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   

When I went to school in the 80's and 90's, the teachers were all professional and someone we could look up to as another parental figure. Over the past decade to decade and a half, teachers have been sliding off the professional wagon and into the shady wagon. Many public school teachers meet the minimum requirements these days and don't seem to work as hard as they should with their students. They get flustered too easily, etc. I believe it's a combination of maturity levels and the law of not being able to discipline the children. Fear of a paddle across my arse 5 times by a 6'6" principal kept me and all the other kids in line, even through our High School years. After school detention was nothing. But the nerves in your butt cheeks would sting so bad you didn't wanna sit down after 5 smacks from the principal. I don't think that's even allowed these days.

ETA: Derp, I forgot to put my main response. I don't know what teachers want as far as guns and gun control in their schools, but I'd be willing to bet that many many many of them are ignorant when it comes to guns, and even more ignorant when it comes to shooting one under panic mode.
edit on 22-2-2018 by Thirty6BelowZero because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: SoEpic

Would there be a better chance of your child surviving, or would they be more fatalities? Did you see the child on tv that said the police thought he was the Florida shooter, he was an unarmed student. What if in the chaos of the situation teachers start to shoot the wrong kids.

"The 11th grader described SWAT members pointing guns at him and tossing him to the ground in a case of mistaken identity. "
www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   

I went to a school with 3500 people, they just put one way doors in and funneled kids through one entrance.

One entrance with a metal detector with a cop, or armed security would make any kid think twice.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: knoxie

maybe as a responsible gun owner you should do something about all those who aren't responsible! ffs.

For EFFS Sake.

Wasn't aware I was the boss of 300+ million Americans.

Does that also mean I get to tell them which bathroom to use?

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

If there's anything that I've learned in my lifetime, it's that technology is the only thing that advances and doesn't come full circle to what it used to be. Humans are on the decline and on the brink of destruction once again, just as they were thousands of years ago. The kettle is screaming and the fire just gets hotter.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Hey, if you can't have an honest conversation, maybe you should gtfo.

Putting the blame on a lawful gun owner is pure bs.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   

That's not neo96's job. (S)he most definitely has the right to ask those questions.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join