It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All of West Virginia's public schools are closed due to a teacher walk-out over pay

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benderisfunny
a reply to: Edumakated

I never said anything about getting paid millions, guy. But 18,000 w year with a college degree? It happens regularly, and the good teachers here are leaving in droves. There is a whole subset of society who want people flipping burgers to "make a living wage", but teachers are, as one person in this thread put it, "nearly expendable". And we wonder what is wrong with society.

Where do you get the starting salary in OK is $18,000?

This link says starting teachers make $31,000 with an average of $44k.

Average Teaching Salaries by State

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   

I don't want to answer for him, but after taxes, student loans (most teachers require a Masters), and providing even basic supplies for the classroom there's not much meat left on that bone.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

I don't want to answer for him, but after taxes, student loans (most teachers require a Masters), and providing even basic supplies for the classroom there's not much meat left on that bone.

$31k is not $18k. To be clear, not saying $31k is a ton of money, but it ain't too bad for a first job in a low cost of living area like OK which is what the poster was claiming. Appears to be exaggeration on his/her part.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Let's be fair, thanks to taxes 31k is never actually 31k. Most first year teachers then have a number of other necessary expenses that need to be dealt with before they can even think about spending money on their basic cost of living.

So $18k/yr that can be spent on things like food and shelter sounds about right.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I'm actually on the side of teachers being well paid, well enough that those who are good at their chosen field can be enticed to teach, instead of the bottom at their field teaching. I'd like to see pay in part based on performance and the students test scores. How well the students do is the litmus test for how good a teacher is and the best deserve more pay.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 04:09 PM
link   

It is what I and several other people were offered our first year teaching. 2 years ago. Not an exaggeration. We do know averages are not what everyone makes, right. Also okc pays more than Ada, Oklahoma. Perhaps more research is needed on your part to decide how they arrive at their numbers. Also, I did not take a job in that district. That is how I know different districts start people at different amounts.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Another fun fact about the Oklahoma school district I live in: the superintendent of the district, which has failed since she came on, makes over 250,000 dollars per year plus benefits, while first year teachers make between 18 and 25,000 per year. The district complains about why they cannot hire enough new teachers to fill the classrooms.

So you don't think the CEO of the entire school system is worth $250k/yr?

Not when shareholders and employees are suffering from the CEOs failed policy.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Chickensalad

Damn right!!

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey
a reply to: Willtell

See my post here for a more intellectually honest way to compare numbers.

Just looking at salaries and ignoring everything else about a state is an ignorant way to rebut a comment.

You sure don’t know how to treat your friends, do you

You dont have many here

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Unlike your abysmal logic, I work with teachers and know their plight...

And it did occur to me that a superficial ignoramus like yourself might bring this up but it obviously doesn’t hold water in that they are on strike and other red state teachers are starving...!

I know a teacher who worked in Jersey then S Carolina, so unlike an ignoramus like you I know what I speak off

watch your nasty mouth in the future!

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chickensalad

Another fun fact about the Oklahoma school district I live in: the superintendent of the district, which has failed since she came on, makes over 250,000 dollars per year plus benefits, while first year teachers make between 18 and 25,000 per year. The district complains about why they cannot hire enough new teachers to fill the classrooms.

So you don't think the CEO of the entire school system is worth $250k/yr?

Not when shareholders and employees are suffering from the CEOs failed policy.

What exact policy has failed?

To be honest, I am actually on the teacher's side. I think they get a lot of unfair blame for failing schools.

Schools reflect the communities they serve. Good schools are usually good, not so much because of the teachers, but because the students are already good. Kids in good schools overwhelmingly come from two parent homes with good jobs. This is why school districts in wealthier communities are better and people will pay to move to an area.

Bad schools are usually bad because the school serves a significant portion of low income students who are more likely to be coming from broken homes. So instead of the teachers being able to teach, they are having to also be a social worker taking care of hoodrat kids.

Part of the problem with public schools is that they have to serve the lowest common denominator.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

Unlike your abysmal logic, I work with teachers and know their plight...

And it did occur to me that a superficial ignoramus like yourself might bring this up but it obviously doesn’t hold water in that they are on strike and other red state teachers are starving...!

I know a teacher who worked in Jersey then S Carolina, so unlike an ignoramus like you I know what I speak off

watch your nasty mouth in the future!

And after all that you still didn't refute a single thing. Sorry son, you should know by now you are out of your league debating me. Head back over to the kids table and the adults talk.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Bad schools are usually bad because the school serves a significant portion of low income students who are more likely to be coming from broken homes. So instead of the teachers being able to teach, they are having to also be a social worker taking care of hoodrat kids.

Part of the problem with public schools is that they have to serve the lowest common denominator.

Your sources?

You seem to have an issue with poor people, blacks in particular.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 04:42 PM
link   

I wouldn't know the specific policies without examining a specific district.

But, I would assume that if a district is suffering from brain drain (bleeding good teachers) and failing academically, then there has to be some blame on the super.

The superintendent obviously isnt going to bat for the district, or is too incompetent to be in charge.

No CEO would still hold their position if the company that they're in charge of saw the same failures as some of these districts.

Now, I also assume that if the super has been able to start turning things around and attracting better teachers and student assessments rise, then they probably wouldn't get flack for a 250k salary.

These are just assumptions, just as your reasoning for good/bad schools.
edit on 22-2-2018 by Chickensalad because: is to isnt

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: AScrubWhoDied

I'm pretty sure he is black...sooooo

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

You sure don’t know how to treat your friends, do you

You dont have many here

What in god's name are you talking about? You made a poor point in a bad way. I made a better one and linked you to it, explaining that approaching the topic the way that you did shows an ignorance in understanding more appropriate ways to make comparisons.

Having friends on ATS is not my goal nor my reason for being here. But friends don't get sad and all ad-hominemy when they're called out for something, do they?

At least I didn't call you an ignoramus, or tell you to "watch your nasty mouth," did I? If you're trying to call me out on tact...

Tact?

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chickensalad

I wouldn't know the specific policies without examining a specific district.

But, I would assume that if a district is suffering from brain drain (bleeding good teachers) and failing academically, then there has to be some blame on the super.

The superintendent obviously isnt going to bat for the district, or is too incompetent to be in charge.

No CEO would still hold their position if the company that they're in charge of saw the same failures as some of these districts.

Now, I also assume that if the super has been able to start turning things around and attracting better teachers and student assessments rise, then they probably wouldn't get flack for a 250k salary.

These are just assumptions, just as your reasoning for good/bad schools.

That's fair.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Chickensalad

Would that somehow prevent him from having issues with poor blacks?
edit on 22-2-2018 by AScrubWhoDied because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: AScrubWhoDied

Your sources?

You seem to have an issue with poor people, blacks in particular.

Pretty much every school district in the US is tied to a particular neighborhood. You move into a certain neighborhood and you can attend a certain public school. My point is that the public schools are not good because of the teachers but because the students are already smart because they tend to come from wealthier educated parents. In wealthier areas, the public schools are almost always better because the kids themselves are simply coming from better home environments.

For the record, I am black. I attended a ghetto ass middle school. It was horrible. I was super smart but the school was not designed around kids like me. It was designed around the 80% of kids who lived in the housing projects or came from broken homes. Fights were common. Half the kids couldn't read or do basic math. I literally was just thrown in a corner and left alone by the teachers because they didn't have to worry about me. This was not fair to me as a student as I was not challenged to reach my potential. Instead of teaching me algebra in 7th grade, they were teaching D'ray how to count to 20.

Fortunately, my parents gave a damn and were able to get me into a high school across town through a busing desegregation program. I went to a very wealthy high school (It was surrounded by multi-million dollar homes and mostly white). It was a totally different environment not so much because the teachers were better but the expectations and students were better. I was no longer in a class with Pookie, but in a class where parents actually were involved in their kid's education. Teachers weren't having to feed LaDeron breakfast in the back of the classroom because his crackhead mama was out on the strip, but instead were helping kids doing extra credit, etc. This is what I meant by teachers having to be social workers.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

$45k/yr isn't that much money. That barely covers rent, automobile payments, auto maintenance, health insurance, auto insurance, utilities, gasoline, phone bill, internet, education loans, food, etc. All this and more has to be paid after taxes.

Then, if someone has a hobby i.e. video games, dinner with friends, model airplane building, rock climbing, what have you, they may very well not have enough to have a life outside of work.

It is quite expensive to live, especially if your single and only have $45k/yr income.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join