It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Can We Have An Informed Discussion On School Safety When Media Controls The Narrative?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 08:40 AM
link   
The hostility that conservatives feel towards MSM, is due not only because of "fake news," but also on the way they manipulate people to suit their liberal agenda. A perfect example of this, was Wednesday's town hall hosted by CNN's Jake Tapper, that was on the Florida school shooting. Senators Marco Rubio (R-FL) and Bill Nelson (D-FL), NRA spokesperson Dana Loesch and Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel, were in attendance. People came to this televised town hall to ask questions and hear solutions about gun control and school safety. Once again CNN wanted to control the narrative by allowing only certain "scripted" questions to be asked. Why? Because it wouldn't fit with CNN's agenda of making the NRA and law abiding gun owners look bad. According to a survivor and hero of the Florida high school massacre, CNN planted all the questions with the student presenters and wouldn't allow him to ask his questions.

Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School student Colton Haab said he was approached by CNN to ask a question at Wednesday night's town hall but decided not to after the network gave him a "scripted question," quashing one he wrote himself. Haab, a member of the Junior ROTC shielded students while the school was under attack from the shooter, said he was going to ask about using veterans as armed security guards.

"Colton Haab, a member of the Junior ROTC who shielded classmates in the midst of terror says he did not get to share his experience," WPLG's Janine Stanwood explained. "Colton wrote questions about school safety, suggested using veterans as armed school security guards but claims CNN wanted him to ask a scripted question instead so he decided not to go," Stanwood reported. "CNN had originally asked me to write a speech and questions and it ended up being all scripted," Haab said. "I don't think that it's going get anything accomplished. It's not gonna ask the true questions that all the parents and teachers and students have."

www.realclearpolitics.com... ds.html

Of course, CNN denies these allegations. Why didn't CNN allow this young man, who reportedly used Kevlar vests to shield students during the massacre, to ask his question and share his experience? Was it because this brave, young man's questions didn't go along with their agenda? IMO, the liberal MSM and certain progressive left wing groups, are now using students to further erode our Constitution and the 2nd Amendment. The national school walk-out, planned for March 14th, is part of the Women's March Youth Empower movement, a progressive left wing group. They are anti-gun and anti-Trump. They selected students who are anti-Trump and made them political "tools" by giving them an audience to read their "script." It's just an orchestrated campaign by them, to garner support for more gun laws and gun bans and to bash the NRA and the many responsible, law abiding gun owners in our country.

There's a real need to discuss the topic of gun and school safety in this country, but this should be done in a civil, non partison setting, where all peoples viewpoints are heard. Unfortunately, this can not be accomplished on MSM, where every topic is politicized and slanted to the left.

edit on 2/22/2018 by shawmanfromny because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 08:43 AM
link   
This has always aggravated me and it's getting worse and worse.

When I was little I thought the Media was supposed to be like um.... Like security guards, almost you know? Observe, and report the FACTS. Not Observe, meddle, manipulate, lie, smile in faces, and THEN report what you wanted in a fantastical story.

SMH it's so disappointing. Makes me wish I had gone into journalism though I probably wouldn't have made it anywhere with honesty and integrity in that industry.

-Alee

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

Let me turn that around on you...how can we have an informed discussion on gun violence when the NRA is in charge of the narrative?

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: kelbtalfenek

Let me cross section that for you. How can we have an informed discussion when folks don't want facts or discussion?

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: NerdGoddess
This has always aggravated me and it's getting worse and worse.

When I was little I thought the Media was supposed to be like um.... Like security guards, almost you know? Observe, and report the FACTS. Not Observe, meddle, manipulate, lie, smile in faces, and THEN report what you wanted in a fantastical story.

SMH it's so disappointing. Makes me wish I had gone into journalism though I probably wouldn't have made it anywhere with honesty and integrity in that industry.

-Alee

As a kid, I watched news anchors telling stories from as neutral a playing field as possible. Those days are long gone.

I have arguments with extreme liberals all over social media. They create this narrative that guns are the scourge of the earth that should be eradicated at all costs. One analogy that I frequently use is this:

Liberals have an extremely hard time seeing "end results" to consequences for actions. They knee jerk react. ALL guns should be gone. So, let's play that out, shall we?

One by one, all guns in private citizens hands are finally confiscated. Not a single private citizen now has a gun. The only entity remaining, has all the guns, and that's government officials. Check.

Look back at history, which is another thing that drives liberals nuts, they want all history changed so that lessons learned are erased so that none of us "knows" what happened the last dozens of times this has occurred in history. The premise that they are working on is, well, last times it was done, it was done all wrong, we know how to do it now. Erase that history so that the masses don't remember. We got this now.

And there in lies the issue. Erase history. Erase all those bad experiences. Erase the consequences for specific actions. Erase, the truth.

Let's see, how many past regimes that confiscated guns, also burned all books to erase history, and then why?

We are living in the next phase of liberal attempts at society control. It's like a cycle that has gone generation after generation, like one evil trying to create this total totalitarian society that is 100% controlled and fed. And this time, they are far closer than ever before.

If we as a nation don't stand up and stop this, civil war will break out. Because the oppressed masses will finally have enough.

My opinion, based on HISTORY.

Fred..

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I live in Florida, not that far from Parkland, actually. It was so blatantly clear from the beginning that this was a media witch hunt.

CNN have been on those children's asses from day one. They have had News cameras and microphones in their face non-stop. They encouraged the walk out. Walked with them, and when people commented on the fact that the children were being placed in danger, and it was too hot for them to walk so far, they even encouraged people to bring water and snacks to the children to support them.

They have been getting away with it for so long, they have pulled out all the stops on this one, and they are not even trying to hide the fact that they are controlling the narrative.
edit on 22-2-2018 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Basic reread clean-up.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   
How Can We Have An Informed Discussion On School Safety When Media Controls The Narrative?

Read this GD law.

en.wikipedia.org...

Anyone whining bout firearms isn't informed.

Then read the National Firearms Act,Gun Control Act,Firearm Protection Act,And the Brady Handgun prevention Act.

If you want to have an informed discussion?

Be informed.

Then read the bill of Rights and the 14th.

END of discussion.
edit on 22-2-2018 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 09:08 AM
link   

There would be no Democratic party if it the liberal media wasn't pushing their agenda talking points 24/7.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: NerdGoddess

I think it did used to be a lot more like how you described, then things were slowly consolidated into the mess it is now. Maybe I have naive memories of what it was like when I was a kid though.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: shawmanfromny
The hostility that conservatives feel towards MSM, is due not only because of "fake news," but also on the way they manipulate people to suit their liberal agenda. A perfect example of this, was Wednesday's town hall hosted by CNN's Jake Tapper, that was on the Florida school shooting. Senators Marco Rubio (R-FL) and Bill Nelson (D-FL), NRA spokesperson Dana Loesch and Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel, were in attendance. People came to this televised town hall to ask questions and hear solutions about gun control and school safety. Once again CNN wanted to control the narrative by allowing only certain "scripted" questions to be asked. Why? Because it wouldn't fit with CNN's agenda of making the NRA and law abiding gun owners look bad. According to a survivor and hero of the Florida high school massacre, CNN planted all the questions with the student presenters and wouldn't allow him to ask his questions.

Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School student Colton Haab said he was approached by CNN to ask a question at Wednesday night's town hall but decided not to after the network gave him a "scripted question," quashing one he wrote himself. Haab, a member of the Junior ROTC shielded students while the school was under attack from the shooter, said he was going to ask about using veterans as armed security guards.

"Colton Haab, a member of the Junior ROTC who shielded classmates in the midst of terror says he did not get to share his experience," WPLG's Janine Stanwood explained. "Colton wrote questions about school safety, suggested using veterans as armed school security guards but claims CNN wanted him to ask a scripted question instead so he decided not to go," Stanwood reported. "CNN had originally asked me to write a speech and questions and it ended up being all scripted," Haab said. "I don't think that it's going get anything accomplished. It's not gonna ask the true questions that all the parents and teachers and students have."

www.realclearpolitics.com... ds.html

Of course, CNN denies these allegations. Why didn't CNN allow this young man, who reportedly used Kevlar vests to shield students during the massacre, to ask his question and share his experience? Was it because this brave, young man's questions didn't go along with their agenda? IMO, the liberal MSM and certain progressive left wing groups, are now using students to further erode our Constitution and the 2nd Amendment. The national school walk-out, planned for March 14th, is part of the Women's March Youth Empower movement, a progressive left wing group. They are anti-gun and anti-Trump. They selected students who are anti-Trump and made them political "tools" by giving them an audience to read their "script." It's just an orchestrated campaign by them, to garner support for more gun laws and gun bans and to bash the NRA and the many responsible, law abiding gun owners in our country.

There's a real need to discuss the topic of gun and school safety in this country, but this should be done in a civil, non partison setting, where all peoples viewpoints are heard. Unfortunately, this can not be accomplished on MSM, where every topic is politicized and slanted to the left.

I really do think the left is intentionally distorting and ignoring facts to push their agenda. I don't think it is ignorance.

As you state, you can't really work towards solutions if one side is completely devoid of facts, logic and reason. It leads us who do support gun rights to be believe the intentions of those for gun control are not genuine.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Let me cross section that for you. How can we have an informed discussion when folks don't want facts or discussion?

Let me answer your question: It's the people on the far sides of the equation that won't budge. Most of us in the middle are sick of all the baiting of the other side...namecalling and such. It's obvious that we have a gun violence problem in the USA, but the "not mah guns" people say it doesn't exist, and the "omg it's a slaughter take all the guns" people want to make it seem worse than it is.

There's tons of facts out there...both sides of the debate ignore them and skew them.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   
All the gun control laws in the world want stop things like this if our institutions and society ignore the signs of someone unstable and becoming a shooter like this. At every step, we failed to act on someone everyone seems to have thought was troubled and potentially dangerous.

It's not like the school, the kids, the mental health services, law enforcement including the FBI, didn't have enough warning signs.

The current systems we HAD in place didn't work, in fact failed miserably. What makes you think they will suddenly start working with more laws and regulations?

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Replace 'school safety ' with almost any issue or history.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Are you bashing the "FREE" Press?!?!?

That's what Hitler and Stalin did sir!!

Nevermind they're as responsible for it as anybody else (that's per science; known as the Mass Shooter Contagion Effect).

BUT everyone just keep arguing about gun rights now like they keep telling us to.

edit on 22-2-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   
We really can't. Most of the media have no idea what they're talking about. They spread blatant disinformation, mostly on accident because they just can't be bothered to get educated on this issue. The people they'd have to get educated from are all "evil", to them anyway, because they don't agree with their gun control views.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Are you bashing the "FREE" Press?!?!?

That's what Hitler and Stalin did sir!!

Nevermind they're as responsible for it as anybody else (that's per science; known as the Mass Shooter Contagion Effect).

BUT everyone just keep arguing about gun rights now like they keep telling us to.

My sons father is of the opinion also that the Media contributes greatly in a disgusting way to these shootings. I'm not sure that I'm fully on board with that but I understand why thats something that comes up. The way he tells me is that they put all this on the news front and center and give it all the attention and then the "sickos" out there who otherwise wouldn't have thought to do something like that then get the idea in their head, and so begins the "copy cat" shootings or violence.

I don't think it's the sole reason but I agree with him that it doesn't help. On the other hand if your the parent of one of those children you probably want to scream it to the world in the faces of everyone in the hopes that someone will hear your pain and suffering and try to prevent others from experiencing the same.

I just don't know what the answer is .

-Alee

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: NerdGoddess
I live in the area. It was, and is, disgusting to see how the media, mostly CNN, has hijacked this story and how they are manipulating these children.

I happened to have close relationships with several students that go to schools in the general area. I talked with those children after the event, they did not display fear, nor did they decide to become political activist, as the media is labeling them. In fact they told me, "Auntie, we are safe, there is nothing to worry about." One of my nephews told me "Auntie, don't believe that crap they are putting on TV, it is bogus."

This is agenda driven manipulation of children and has nothing to do with protecting them.

They are so concerned that they encouraged hundreds of children to leave the safety of their own schools and "walk" 10 to 13 miles into an area that the majority of them have never been to before, on a State road with heavy traffic, so they could hijack the TV channels for hours.

The media is owned by people that have their own agendas and most of our corrupt government is in their pockets.

edit on 22-2-2018 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Spelling corrections.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   

People like myself make up the NRA. We pay money for membership. Many NRA members, including myself DO NOT agree with everything the NRA says and does. I'm a member because they're protecting my rights and there is so much anti-gun sentiment in this country, that's being spread by liberals and the liberal press.

I'd like to see background checks for ALL firearms and wouldn't be opposed eliminating 30 round clips from semi-auto rifles in this country. I'd like for all rifles to come with a mandatory, lockable case, just like hand guns. It makes sense to me that anyone who purchases any type of firearm, should take a mandatory safety course at a local gun club. I understand why some gun owners are scared that if you ban something relating to a firearm, that would make it easier for the government to ban something else. However, I think the NRA and the government can discuss and make sensible improvements towards gun safety. I like the idea of banning bump stocks, because there's no real reason to have them in the first place, except for showing off at a gun range. I also didn't like how the NRA tried to change the narrative, when asked about their views concerning people on terrorist watch lists being unable to purchase firearms in this country. They said they're fighting for the constitutional right to due process and then stated that law enforcement is "notified" when someone on the list purchases a firearm. Sorry, but I don't want anyone on a terrorist watch list purchasing a firearm...PERIOD! They're on a list for a reason and that's good enough for me...just like when the FBI stakes out a person because they're suspected to be a pediphile. If there's evidence that you're a suspected pediphile, or a terrorist, you shouldn't be hanging out with kids or guns.

There are probably many NRA members who think I'm nuts, but then there are probably many NRA members who are willing to discuss changes that would promote gun safety. Not all gun owners are unreasonable, or unwilling to discuss and debate gun safety issues.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Draining the swamp includes getting rid of certain media Outlets. Be patient. It will happen.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 04:35 PM
link   

If there's evidence that you're a suspected pediphile, or a terrorist, you shouldn't be hanging out with kids or guns.

You mean like looking for something on Google?
www.washingtontimes.com...

I am not trying to be snarky, but if they have evidence that you have committed a crime, then you should be arrested. They don't have the right to restrict people's rights because they or someone else "thinks" they have, or may commit a crime.

What happened to innocent until proven guilty? I know. I am just an old fart that doesn't want to progress with the times, and set in my ways. That maybe true, but those old ways used to be what protected us as Americans.

new topics

<<   2 >>

join