It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun Phobia

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 08:22 AM
link   
We have, in the ever increasing number of new 'disorders', many phobias. Some around for a long time. Fear of snakes, heights, fire, closed in spaces, flying.

The there's the newer versions, fear of those that think differently than the current P.C. version.

Of course, the 'experts' will avoid the obvious latest 'craze'. Fear of guns. Get rid of them. Those that suffer from this particular version that are a bit brighter work on an incremental basis. Specific guns, mag sizes, real or imagined mental disorders, background checks-which no one seems concerned with what the criteria of those 'checks' are and who decides.

For a period during the Obama administration, attempts were made to ban all vets from owning weapons, IIRC.

So the bottom line is we have a percentile of people who suffer from this fear/fixation.

We need to help these people overcome their fears.

It's our duty as compassionate and caring citizens.

I propose more basic, conservative therapies. Such as requiring every sufferer of this disease...and it IS a disease, to take firearm classes, perhaps be required to carry a weapon constantly, unloaded to start, even taking it to bed with them.

Sooner or later, a bond will develop between weapon and patient. At which point, the weapon will take on the same significance as say the alarm clock, the car, or the first aide kit.

The psychs will jump all over this as a new source of revenues. The economy will take another uptick and another disease will become 'cured'.

There are probably other cures I haven't thought of that posters could add to this.

Thoughts?

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Actually that phobia seems to be a growing problem encompassing any subject possible

started way back, i'd call it contraryianism.

i came smack face to face with it starting in the innocent days back in the 60's.

edit on 22-2-2018 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Thoughts?

People should have the right to choose.

Oh wait they do.

Set on stone in the Bill of Rights.

The mob thinks they have a right to take that choice away, and they DON'T.

Arphobe.

Hoplophobe.

Gunphobe

Constitutionphobe.

At present no known cure.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: GBP/JPY
Actually that phobia seems to be a growing problem encompassing any subject possible

started way back, i'd call it contraryianism.

i came smack face to face with it starting in the innocent days back in the 60's.

They even jumped on that one:

theunboundedspirit.com...

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 08:35 AM
link   
A gun is a device designed for only one purpose. I'd argue that being afraid of something that has the sole job of killing is hardly irrational. Thus, fear of guns is not a phobia.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254no...no

naw guns stomp tyranny or any chance of tyranny

in scripture Jesus said if one has no sword....sell your coat and buy one.....but not to draw it

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

Oppositional Defiant Disorder is not labeling non-conformity and free thinking a mental illness. When kids diagnosed with ODD grow up they generally no longer get diagnosed with ODD. Instead they get diagnosed with a different disorder. Do you know what that is? Antisocial Personality Disorder. Or in layman's terms psychopathy.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
A gun is a device designed for only one purpose. I'd argue that being afraid of something that has the sole job of killing is hardly irrational. Thus, fear of guns is not a phobia.

Fear of others having guns is irrational. Completely.

Where is that 'fear' of police or soldiers having 'guns'? Bodyguards and the like? Just 'citizens'. All the others groups named suffer from the same ills as citizens.

Fear of an inanimate objects is an association/trigger. It is irrational. The cure for that is choosing not to possess one. Demanding the banning for others is an insanity. A disease.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Vets who are getting disability because of mental illness, in my opinion, should not have a gun. There was also an appeals process.

"The Obama administration rule required the Social Security Administration to submit records of mentally disabled people to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, the FBI database used to determine whether someone can buy a firearm under the 1993 Brady Bill.

The rule would have applied to about 75,000 people who were “adjudicated as a mental defective" and who had applied for Social Security benefits, and had a mechanism to notify those affected so they could appeal. But congressional Republicans said the rule could ensnare people who had mental health issues but otherwise were competent to own a gun."

I didn't have a problem with this. And I have to laugh a little at the comment that this law could "ensnare people WHO HAVE MENTAL ISSUES but OTHERWISE WERE COMPETENT TO OWN A GUN".

Also, I don't think people so much have a gun phobia developing. I think they have a I DON'T WANT TO ARBITRARILY GET SHOT AT ANY MOMENT problem.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 08:43 AM
link   
wait....did he really yep

a showing of a sword on every person.......would stop a tyrant

a reply to: GBP/JPY

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Oppositional Defiant Disorder is not labeling non-conformity and free thinking a mental illness. When kids diagnosed with ODD grow up they generally no longer get diagnosed with ODD. Instead they get diagnosed with a different disorder. Do you know what that is? Antisocial Personality Disorder. Or in layman's terms psychopathy.

Semantics. Degree becomes the issue and the slippery slope kicks in, especially when Big Pharma profits from the non-cure 'cure' of pharmaceutical drugs.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 08:48 AM
link   
in Montana and Wyoming ya see girls at the gas station with .25 auto's and 380 auto's fit well worn in their coin pocket....so it's open carry legal.....think about that

they pump gas....try to go grab one outta their pocket or try to approach them with an oddball come on
.....naw don't

in the old days ya'd rabbit hunt or plink....guns were seen al the time ....in that environment it's common sense and tradition...no ,....history and heritage proudly marching....huh!

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

do you think the society from 1787 and 2018 have much similarities?

do you know, without googling, how many times the constitution has changed since its inception in 1787?

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: MiddleInsite

There you are, a perfect example of the malady. "I don't want to get arbitrarily shot at any moment." Fear of meteors hitting, earthquakes, fear, fear. fear, induced. Promoted in the media and triggered non-stop.

It is a malady.

Recognizing an issue is the first step to address it.

Well done!

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I like make a circle out of my guns and then I lay in the center.

Only then I know I am safe.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 08:54 AM
link   

A gun, whether you think so or not, is designed to shoot a high-speed projectile at a target.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 08:58 AM
link   
at 7-11 on the corner there by Macarthur high school....irving.....one could by beer .22 ammo and ya had to walk around these giant piles and stacks in the middle......four feet high and four feet square.....one pile had 20 gauge and another pile had 12 gauge....get two boxes after school.....if ya asked for .22 shorts.....they smile and say aha...goin street light shootin huh!!

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 08:59 AM
link   

It's not semantics. There is very clear cut diagnostic criteria and it has nothing to do with free thinking.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: GBP/JPY
in Montana and Wyoming ya see girls at the gas station with .25 auto's and 380 auto's fit well worn in their coin pocket....so it's open carry legal.....think about that

they pump gas....try to go grab one outta their pocket or try to approach them with an oddball come on
.....naw don't

in the old days ya'd rabbit hunt or plink....guns were seen al the time ....in that environment it's common sense and tradition...no ,....history and heritage proudly marching....huh!

This post really highlights the difference between rural and urban cultures. In a more rural and less populated state where you can more easily disappear into nature, guns can be fun and useful tools for things like hunting or even just target practice. Meanwhile, in a large city or a state that has much urbanization, you have less places you can legally use that gun. Someone walking down the street in New York City carrying a gun on their back is only doing one thing. He is establishing himself as a threat to be feared.

PS: OP, Guns are tools of intimidation. Even using one for protection comes with the idea that the other party has to respect the stopping power of your gun. Anyone who doesn't fear a gun is a lunatic. Fear brings respect for the tool.

Also, fearing someone walking down the street carrying a gun isn't just about fearing the gun. It's about fearing how well that person know how to use it too. Remember Plaxico Burress shooting himself in the leg at a nightclub with a handgun he stupidly failed to carry around not only loaded but with a bullet in the chamber AND the gun's safety off? That man is a lunatic who stopped fearing guns. He was lucky to only wound himself though. However, I damn well wouldn't have wanted to be in the club that night in case he wasn't the only one injured from his idiocy.
edit on 22-2-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Fire is also an inanimate object. Is it irrational to fear being killed by it or taking precautions to ensure that doesn't happen?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join