It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

18yr old have an absolute right to own firearms! Increasing the age is ludicrous!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Naw, 14 is the age of accountability if they are rightly dividing God's creation and society. At 14, buy em a shotshell reloader for their 20 gauge
edit on 22-2-2018 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof
One school was attacked using a semi-auto rifle. Why would you think all the students in Florida are traumatized by it??

I have mentioned time again this coached resentment and fear is mostly limited to that county. I also stated no knee jerk reactions would be passed in the legislature from this random isolated event. We are Florida, we are good.

That county has been solidly Liberal for several decades. It is not wonder their politicians would exploit the kids there for political gain.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Assassin82
How do you explain 14 and 16 year old boys and girls as well were more responsible and mature in the centuries leading up to the industrial revolution? Fighting in war, tending to farms and livestock, even managing finances.

Media technology infantilizes humans by corrupting their minds. If science is saying your brain is not fully developed until 30, maybe they should remember to take a history lesson when teenagers were responsible for entire families and land holdings even up through the industrial revolution.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

For starters, that was a completely different age for mankind. Tending to farms and livestock, managing finances, that was all a part of their growth and development. Most had a parent or sibling or some kind of mentor to teach them and guide them. And if they didn't, then learning it was pure survival. I'm not saying anything about taking away the learning process. To include learning about weapons and the ethical behaviors behind them.

Unfortunately for our children, their are too many "adults" who don't teach them properly. We hand our kids off to the school system to educate. When kids seek attention we put a video game in front of them so we can play our video games and send our texts undistracted. When we they don't behave we hand them off to the Dr's to medicate. We invest crapola into our education system so the knowledge base is awful. We have politicized and capitalized the pharmaceutical industry so their interests are severly flawed. And the ones to pay the price for all these piss poor decisions are our children who are now terrified that their school is next to get shot up and rightfully so.

So, comparing the two are apples and oranges. Kids aren't challenged to survive the way they were in different eras. And the "adults" who are constructing their cultural inheritance are giving them a REALLY bad world to live in. So...we need to, in my opinion, redefine what an adult is. And we need to refocus our effort into cultivating and creating stronger, more intelligent young minds to clean up this mess they're being handed. And we do so by removing the burden to develop before their minds are fully develop. Reform our education system to a more efficient and intelligent one. And stop giving kids pills that detract them from their humanity.

Perhaps a person is responsible enough to live on their own at 18....but it doesn't mean they're responsible enough to handle all the critical responsibilities that our society bestows upon them.
edit on 22-2-2018 by Assassin82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Bah... Just lower the age to 12

Have some fun over there!!

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 11:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Assassin82
Based on what you just said, it sounds like banning media technology access, or at least severely restricting it by age, is a more appropriate solution.

I am all for banning the internet from children myself until the age of 16-18. Force them all back outside, where they will realize for the most part the regular world is quite safe. I grew up n public schools, still take my kids to the mall every week just about, frequent movie theaters, patron the occasional concert, usually the free city ones.

Never a shooting incident ever.

The beautiful truth is, mass shootings are overwhelmingly rare, especially in the context of all crimes and even random disasters. Floods destroy more lives than mass shootings. Even if there were twenty mass shootings this year with at least 10 casualties, it would still be an underwhelmingly insignificant statistic in the grand scheme of homicides, and causes of death in general. As well as in the context in the sheer volume of public places with large crowds.

Sometimes crazy people go bat # crazy. There are people who murder their entire families in the USA nearly every month by way of fires, poisoning, stabbings, drowning or a combination of all the above. They are rarely blasted across all media markets nationally though because it does not focus on the agenda of banning guns and eviscerating the constitution. Those reports typically stay local, state, or at best regional reports.

If they go national, it is in the back pages of the newspaper with a paragraph or two, or a single line in their website. It doesnt get days to weeks of focus and institutions and academics debating the causalities of psychotic random murders.

If we are highlighting real problems in this country, it is more random psychotic murder than gun violence.

a reply to: Akragon
why not eleven??

edit on 2-22-2018 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 01:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Marlichslar

So, the answer is to beat and bully your kids?

Sorry mate, that's not common "sence", it's insanity.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 02:39 AM
link   
a reply to: AnonymousCitizen

Question.

Do you have kids? Or do you have young siblings? Nieces and nephews?

The reason I ask is this.

Would you be comfortable with sending your kids off to a school with kids carrying around AR15s?

If you have that deep feeling of discomfort then you've answered my question to yourself.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 04:21 AM
link   

So why shouldn't a 17 year old be allowed to carry a gun? Why should students in a school be reliant on security guards for protection that may or may not leave them to die?

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 04:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: nightstalker78
a reply to: AnonymousCitizen

I'd trust an 18 year old in the military with one.

A regular 18 year old kid? No chance.

Very,very few would be responsible with it.

What's the difference between the two? Boot camp? 18 year olds are 18 year olds.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 05:38 AM
link   

And people made poor decisions back then too. Just because you can make a decision doesn't mean you were capable of making the right decision for the right reasons.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Sure...access to technology should be considered. Social media is proving to be a complete failure. The way it promotes narcissism and removes the consequences of conflict. How people follow false idols and read the fake news. And young people aren’t able to recognize the ideological warfare that occurs online. Nor can they properly handle online bullying in context.

I would be curious to know how many kids commited suicide who might not have otherwise without modern technology and social media access. Of course, I would also like to know that stat when combined with psychotropic medication use.

I think the answers are there. I think the solution is there. The red flags are up. But too many people refuse to address the entirety of the situation.

-Psycotropic medications
-Access to technology
-Social media
-Access to guns
-Failed education system
-Poor parenting standards
-an unhealthy American diet

I feel like those are all the major contributors to this American crisis. The question is...can people disconnect their kids from the internet and social medi? Can we redefine what an adult is and do a better job in teaching him safer? Can we improve our education system without waiting for the government to do it for us? Can we elevate our own parenting standards? And can we stop poisoning our minds and bodies with awful medications and a death defying diet?

edit on 23-2-2018 by Assassin82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 07:29 AM
link   

I think everyone should be able to have a small nuclear weapon.. Then we can all be safe and defend ourselves..

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 08:25 AM
link   
In common Law people are infants until they reach the age of 21. The draft is BS and any court case brought against or by an infant is null. The rights given at 18 years old are purely accumulative and can certainly be declined. So, certainly the age to own an AR can be legislated to be 21. But only by the states for the states. The federal government has no territorial jurisdiction within the states to do such a thing. Title 18 Section 7 defines all the territorial jurisdiction of the United States and confirms 3 times, not within any particular state.
edit on 23-2-2018 by craterman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Where you gonna get one of those?

a reply to: purplemer

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Stupid. I think most school shootings, which obviously prompted this idea, are done by kids under 18 who didn't purchase the guns they used.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: nightstalker78

That's just straight up BS, out of all the people between 18 and 21 that own an AR-15, how many have anything bad happen involving a gun, yet alone shooting someone intentionally. I think what you mean is Very, very few would be irresponsible with it. Why is it when an illegal commits a crime...it's just a few bad apples don't blame them at all, instead let them in no questions asked, one idiot does something with a gun, all guns are evil, no one should have them.

That said I don't know what the perfect solution is.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   
If we raise the legal gun purchasing age to 21 then don't we kind of have to raise the age to join the military to 21?

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   

that school is a model of how the left wants things to be. they want armed thugs to hoover the unarmed population. the one running the show there is a dem of coarse.

i do find it ironic how the op here goes into detail bout ar platform not being assault weapon and such then jawdropping at the cops toating ar's around the school. it highlights the true nature of the problem and that is to admit that certain weapons are in a different class of weaponry.

let us get the amendment straight as to what it means. to bare arms means to handle or carry and operate.

with that said it is not a stretch to have a set age at which we reach maturity. That has been deemed to be 18 in some occasions and 21 at other times.

so having a law that says one has to wait till they are 21 in order to bare the most serious weapons is not infringing on any rights as long as the law is written fairly as to not infringe.

at some point we will have to agree that in order to buy weapon one must be able to bare it in all aspects.

if the law is 21 to buy semi auto but have a military id clause. meaning that if between the ages of 18-21 you have received military training then you can buy the semi auto because you have demonstrated that you can bare the arms

the other exception would be having a guardian co-signer if under 21. meaning any parent could buy and give under 21 any semi auto but maintaining responsibility for the minor and the weapon at the same time.

this does not infringe (break) the second amendment and interjects well maintained order and sense of responsibility into the culture

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Lmao that an 18 year old can own a semi automatic but can't buy a beer 😂
That's some mixed up laws you have over there.
On a personal note I think if you can vote, pay taxes, and be called up for military service then you should have the same rights as any other adult.
...can't buy a beer until 21 lol

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join