It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grilled Watermelon... seriously?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

originally posted by: skunkape23
Pickled watermelon rinds can be tasty treats if done correctly.

Bleh. Guess mine weren't done correctly.

this I've heard about the grilled watermelon too.

I think it's all in the spices. I used to make home made pickled onions, better than store bought... but I was somehow put off.. Probably how my old dad used to make a pickled onion sandwich. I could never do that.

Then again he'd put cork flakes on a sandwich and smother it in HP sauce.. lmao, I swear I do not get my weird tastes from him...

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: badw0lf

That's what one of my buddies calls SHTF foods.

Older folks eat a lot of weird sheet. Think depression era inventions...

There's a whole thread idea for ya right there

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 11:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

That's what one of my buddies calls SHTF foods.

Older folks eat a lot of weird sheet. Think depression era inventions...

There's a whole thread idea for ya right there

I saw a doco a long while ago, where a small community was asked to live as if they were living during WW2. It was in England... the fake powdered eggs and all the rationing.

They had a local get together, and none of the kids would eat the candied carrots.. haha..

My old man was a liverpudlian, scouser. I think he grew up on SHTF food.

I've always been frugal, and I used to even eat burger rings on a buttered roll for lunch when I was an offsider delivering household goods. I even bought a cheese sausage and a buttered roll, cost, 20 cents for the roll, $1.20 for the sausage. When the asian guy behind the counter saw me make a faux hot dog, he yelled at me to pay the $4 for a hot dog price. Bugger off.. lol

but corn flakes on bread... truth be told, my old dad told me it was crisps.. and I ate it like it was a crisp butty. Then he told me it was corn flakes. Sneaky bloke he was. I couldn't ever do it again. corn flakes are meant to be eaten with a spoon and with milk... funny, it's corn.. buttered corn on the cob, it's the strange ways we are raised, I suppose.

And it's a hot day here, I am feeling some pickled watermelon on the horizon. too hot to grill.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Thanks, we'll try it with a drizzle of lemon juice as visitedbythem suggested. My wife made pickled young bamboo shoots a few weeks ago, it taste like pickled unripe papaya with a different texture.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I like regular seeded watermelons. You don't need to do anything to a real watermelon to make it taste right. The seedless ones have a strange taste, I tried looking it up but could not find anything. I think the chemicals that were supposed to go to the seeds are left in the melon. I am not so sure that is good for us.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 12:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: MaxTamesSiva
Thanks, we'll try it with a drizzle of lemon juice as visitedbythem suggested. My wife made pickled young bamboo shoots a few weeks ago, it taste like pickled unripe papaya with a different texture.

I love bamboo shoots ! Just the right amount of crunch for what you'd expect. Never had them pickled, I don't think. Does sound like a good combination, though !!

The only papaya I've had is the candied sort, but it's too expensive to go all out on.. good thing, I have enough sugar in my diet

Oooh now I want that too, lol..

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 12:21 AM
link   
That sounds interesting, I might give it a try. Not a big fan of the texture, but maybe this will reduce the graininess?

I do grilled fruit all time, mostly grilled pineapples or bananas over home made ice cream.

But the best I a have had is grilled bacon-wrapped peaches with the balsamic glaze. You can also substitute the balsamic sauce with a few drops of maple syrup spread evenly over the peach before you wrap and toothpick the bacon around it.

OMG

BaconWrappedGrilledPeachesRecipe

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 12:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I like regular seeded watermelons. You don't need to do anything to a real watermelon to make it taste right. The seedless ones have a strange taste, I tried looking it up but could not find anything. I think the chemicals that were supposed to go to the seeds are left in the melon. I am not so sure that is good for us.

I think so too, the seedless watermelon (still have those white pips in them, here anyway) does taste different. I do prefer the proper fruit. Even if they are cloned to the hilt and won't produce anything viable if you're inclined to try to grow them.

I did manage once to get a pineapple top to flower, but it never produced anything. all the avocados I've tried to propagate never took off either.. I have a brown thumb it appears.

Mind you, that san pedro I once bought years ago for .. reasons.. has grown like a champ !!
But I've grown to love the prickly bugger. And once I took her out of the pot and put her into soil, how she has grown !!

People hate me around here, their lemon trees are always less fruitiful after I've wandered past lol.. One place had the biggest lemons I've ever seen. Then a few months later, a sign under the tree, "F... OFF!!" haha. damn.. they're just so expensive at the store, and people have so many rotting under their trees. seems a shame.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 12:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
That sounds interesting, I might give it a try. Not a big fan of the texture, but maybe this will reduce the graininess?

I do grilled fruit all time, mostly grilled pineapples or bananas over home made ice cream.

But the best I a have had is grilled bacon-wrapped peaches with the balsamic glaze. You can also substitute the balsamic sauce with a few drops of maple syrup spread evenly over the peach before you wrap and toothpick the bacon around it.

OMG

BaconWrappedGrilledPeachesRecipe

Ohh grilled banana, I used to love even the deep fried bananas we'd get from the fish and chip shop as a kid, and pineapple fritters. Don't see them any more. I don't have a deep friar, so the attempts at either have left me with an oily mess, delisious but just not the same..

Peaches, I've seen used a lot in cooking. uuuggggghh bacon wrapped peaches with balsamic. That is something. I saw a recipe on youtube using an avocado and egg, oh my salivary glands went mental.. Told my then partner about it, and she almost gagged. haha..

I will add that to my list to try. heck, it's something I won't be able to not try.

bacon, egg and avocado. I don't think it's super healthy lol, but when you're cooking fruit, I don't think it matters

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Ohhhh, that breakie recipe is brilliant. I Do homemade guac all the time.
I love avocados, thanks for sharing, I wont forget that one.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Oh yeah, pickled sour watermelon and grilled watermelon, heading to your town this summer! Sounds delicious and different!

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: badw0lf

originally posted by: MaxTamesSiva

I love bamboo shoots ! Just the right amount of crunch for what you'd expect. Never had them pickled, I don't think. Does sound like a good combination, though !!

The only papaya I've had is the candied sort, but it's too expensive to go all out on.. good thing, I have enough sugar in my diet

Oooh now I want that too, lol..

Sliced papaya baked with butter and black pepper is great, and also basically free to get here. Same with fresh bamboo shoots.

Another great fruit grilled besides watermelon is pineapple. However, I do not recommend pineapple on pizza

top topics

<< 1   >>

join