It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No, Australia's gun ban didn't reduce violent crime

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

originally posted by: radarloveguy
a reply to: JBurns
Also , Australia is NOT Austria .
Please study a little geography sometime ....

I do believe our friend was just being a little facetious.

I would use the terms "ignorant" and "stupid", but that's just me.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties

originally posted by: artnut
Why do so many people from other countries think "we live in fear of being shot everyday" I don't get it, seems a bit xenophobic.

Perhaps because the majority of people who yell and scream about needing to keep their guns use the reasoning that they need to protect themselves?

Funny that the rest of us would make the assumption that "you live in fear of being shot every day" when that's the exact reasoning used to defend their right to keep big guns hey!!!

Half of the US lives in rural areas. When we say "protect ourselves" we arent envisioning a shootout like the wild west. We are envisioning someone breaking in our house in the middle of the night when the nearest police station is 30 miles away.

Or maybe a road rage incident where some numbskull wants to beat me over the head with a tire iron.

Maybe to handle a pack of 30 feral hogs tearing up my food supply or breaking off sprinkler heads.

Or perhaps a coyote stealing a hen.

Your logic is bad because you don't know America very well (obviously)
edit on 2/22/2018 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   

By coincidence, those are the names of my nipples.

So you get half a cookie.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I live on a rural farm here in Oz, 2 hours from Sydney and the closest police are at least 30 mins drive away. I know exactly what you are saying, but I don't fear getting broken into in the middle of the night, partially because of the fact I'm 2 kilometers into the farm.

I don't have a gun at present, I am in the process of applying to get a license to own one, although not for the reasons you say you need them. The entire underneath of our house is one big rabbit warren and the house is starting to collapse into it, I need to cull the buggers off before they succeed. Also, there's a feral cat living in the shed here that needs taking care of as it keeps picking on my cat. Plenty of foxes here too that need culling.

I don't need an AR-15 to do that though, just saying! A nice .22 with a scope should do the trick.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Naw...he and I don't play well, but he's not stupid. I always stand to be corrected, though.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: badw0lf

Surely, it's for protection and not some ego...

You ever shot for sport? It is fun as hell, my kids could easily go though 1000 rounds shooting targets all day.
edit on 22-2-2018 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   

I live on a rural farm here in Oz, 2 hours from Sydney and the closest police are at least 30 mins drive away. I know exactly what you are saying, but I don't fear getting broken into in the middle of the night, partially because of the fact I'm 2 kilometers into the farm.

I don't have a gun at present, I am in the process of applying to get a license to own one, although not for the reasons you say you need them. The entire underneath of our house is one big rabbit warren and the house is starting to collapse into it, I need to cull the buggers off before they succeed. Also, there's a feral cat living in the shed here that needs taking care of as it keeps picking on my cat. Plenty of foxes here too that need culling.

I don't need an AR-15 to do that though, just saying! A nice .22 with a scope should do the trick.

I have a .22 air rifle that i use for varmints. Armadillos mostly (they dig up the yard looking for food, and my older dog dislocated both knees stumbling in one of the holes last summer).

But hogs...a .22 will get you killed. If you are a good shot you can typically bring one down with a single shot to the ear. If you shoot it in the head its going to just piss it off. I've had a 30.06 bounce off the head of a 150lb hog at 200 yards. My son got him a couple days later, and it left a mark, bu tnot one that really bled.

I don't have an AR. But when I see the hogs I know that without some interdiction and game management, im going to have to get one. I'd rather have the 556, but I think ill need the 308 to bring down a hog. I like the idea of semiauto so I can get more than one at a time. Plus, if one decides to charge me, i have a round chambered and ready. Its only happened once, and I was able to chamber another round in my lever action quick enough. With a bolt action, i may have had to drop my rifle to grab my sidearm (and then hoped the sidearm did the trick).

Hogs are a real problem here. They run in groups numbering from a couple dozen to a hundred or more. Usually the sound of a rifle scares them off. Sometimes it makes them decide to fight instead of flee. That is pretty dangerous times.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: badw0lf
[
So it didnt't happen then?

Obviously someone did it.

He's still in prison too..

Not like you suggest.. Head shots from the hip
... Hell, 19 head shots of any kind...OK Professional Sniper using a bi-pod???

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Anyone notice that those who are for "gun control" are never for disarming the police, and the state? they will be the first ones hashtagging and exploiting police murdering people, but never calls to disarm the police, just rehabilitation and reforming the "police systems"

no one calls for the disarmament of the police, State, government, or Military, which should be the only ones disarmed
edit on 22-2-2018 by XAnarchistX because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 04:00 PM
link   

We have wild pigs (hogs as you call them) here too, Aussies go pig shooting all the time but with .222 and .303 bolt action rifles (maybe bigger, I'm not sure to be honest it's been many years since I went pig hunting). They seem to work just fine.

I don't need that sort of firepower here, a .22 will do the job I need it to do.

No need for anything more than those examples, AR-15's and the like are simply overkill.

edit on 22/2/2018 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 04:08 PM
link   

We have wild pigs (hogs as you call them) here too, Aussies go pig shooting all the time but with .222 and .303 bolt action rifles. They seem to work just fine. I don't need that sort of firepower here, a .22 will do the job I need it to do.

No need for anything more than those examples, AR-15's and the like are simply overkill.

Ill leave the lightning quick bolt movements to you aussies. Here in the states we apparently lack the hand eye coordination to rechamber a round with a bolt action rifle quick enough to not risk life and limb in larger herds. Not to mention we aren't able to protect our property when there is a pack of 50 destroying plant life. Maybe we will run them off that night...but they'll be back the next night. Do Aussies not have to make it to work the next morning so they can stay up all night plinging hogs and scaring them off?

FWIW, i wouldn't trust a .222 to have enough muzzle velocity to make it through the armor on a hog north of 120lbs. .308 is the minimum i'd go with. I hunt with 30-30 and 30-06 typically.

Curious...does Australia share a southern border with Mexico?

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

I have a .22 air rifle that i use for varmints. Armadillos mostly (they dig up the yard looking for food, and my older dog dislocated both knees stumbling in one of the holes last summer).

I don't own one, but the .17 is badass. I have seen people put their bullets almost on top of each other on a target at 200 plus yards. I find the .22 is fun, but it is a crappy bullet over all.

I don't have an AR. But when I see the hogs I know that without some interdiction and game management, im going to have to get one. I'd rather have the 556, but I think ill need the 308 to bring down a hog. I like the idea of semiauto so I can get more than one at a time. Plus, if one decides to charge me, i have a round chambered and ready. Its only happened once, and I was able to chamber another round in my lever action quick enough. With a bolt action, i may have had to drop my rifle to grab my sidearm (and then hoped the sidearm did the trick).

300 Blackout is a nice in between .556 and 308. The problem with the .556 is it was originally designed for a 20 inch barrel, and today most see 16 inches as almost too much. The problem is the powder doesn't burn fast enough and so you lose some power with the shorter barrel. With the 300 the powder burns faster and so shorter barrels are not an issue. It also fits on a lower .556 so you just need one lower for both.

Hogs are a real problem here. They run in groups numbering from a couple dozen to a hundred or more. Usually the sound of a rifle scares them off. Sometimes it makes them decide to fight instead of flee. That is pretty dangerous times.

They are smart, fast and nasty...We can kill 50% of the population every year and not dent the numbers...If anyone was to ask me for a reason to have a 30 round mag for hunting here is the reason.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Please read my edit where I clarified that pig hunters probably also use larger bore guns than .303 but it's been many years since I've been pig hunting myself so I cannot confirm, although it makes sense that they would.

You can actually apply for a professional pest controller license here too which enables you to buy and use semi-automatic and automatic guns if the need arises. It is strictly regulated though and the people applying get thoroughly checked and trained, more so than just a standard hunting or target shooting license.

The result of these restrictions and strict requirements is that we have seen a large decrease in gun-related crime and ZERO mass shootings. Not being able to buy insane overkill weapons or rapid-firing weapons easily is a small price to pay to ensure Australian lives are protected from gun violence. No, it doesn't make it ALL go away, but it drastically reduces the likelihood of it occurring, as has been proven here in Australia.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Do your pigs charge you if you kill or wound one of them? Ever see 15 of them coming at you at full speed...lol

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

Do your pigs charge you if you kill or wound one of them? Ever see 15 of them coming at you at full speed...lol

My cousin killed one charging at him with a friggin knife mate. I watched him do it with my own 2 eyes.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: XAnarchistX
Anyone notice that those who are for "gun control" are never for disarming the police, and the state? they will be the first ones hashtagging and exploiting police murdering people, but never calls to disarm the police, just rehabilitation and reforming the "police systems"

no one calls for the disarmament of the police, State, government, or Military, which should be the only ones disarmed

During the town hall yesterday the sheriff keep repeating the same thing. Disarm the population, so I think he is running for office again soon. He also said that was very disconcerting is he feels cops need more power... After it was asked what would more power do in the 39 calls about this guy that went nowhere he got all defensive and said each one needs to be looked at and just the fact there was 39 with no action meant little to him, so I guess we need a police state to make a difference.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   

My cousin killed one charging at him with a friggin knife mate. I watched him do it with my own 2 eyes.

I watched Crocodile Dundee, so I know about your knives... But how about 15 or more all charging... That was my question...

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

We keep our eyes open and get ready to get out of the way like anyone with any common sense would?

Like I said, I was a kid last time I went pig hunting, but plenty of Aussies still do it and nobody seems to have any trouble dealing with angry charging pigs. Next time I talk to my cousin I'll make a point of asking how he deals with a scenario like that if you are that intent on getting an answer.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   

We keep our eyes open and get ready to get out of the way like anyone with any common sense would?

Like I said, I was a kid last time I went pig hunting, but plenty of Aussies still do it and nobody seems to have any trouble dealing with angry charging pigs. Next time I talk to my cousin I'll make a point of asking how he deals with a scenario like that if you are that intent on getting an answer.

We have this problem in the states where they brought 800lbs Russian boars here a long time ago for hunting and they were left loose when the hunting club shut down. Well they bred with local pigs and now we have monster boars here.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 05:08 PM
link   

This is an average size wild pig here in Oz...

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join