It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No, Australia's gun ban didn't reduce violent crime

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 04:14 AM
link   
a reply to: CaptainBeno

The world is watching y'all, not just Australia. Your looking silly.

My guess is people in Afghanistan are scratching their heads over American gun culture .
edit on 22-2-2018 by hutch622 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 04:37 AM
link   
a reply to: JBurns
As an Australian born before for J Howard took the guns, bring back the guns, not the military or automatic stuff, but living in the bush we need them from time to time. We are stuck dealing with poachers, meth heads, snakes and injured animals with sticks and stones.

Throwing rocks and ringing the police who often are reluctant to drive for an hour to attend, especially when all the crims have long since left. It would be good if single shot firearms, like a .22 or a 410 were a lot easier to get. We grew up with guns in cupboards and under the bed with bullets in the undy draw, with very little crime. Where now we have to pay for silly courses to hold a gun and to buy a safe for storage. I for one don't like this new Australia, and feel that a kitchen knife in the wrong hands could cause considerable carnage if a fool chose such.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 04:55 AM
link   
I only read a few lines of your OP , because
we've all heard this twaddle a million times .

The point is , ( and I live in Australia ) ,
I can walk down ANY street , confident that
I won't be blown away by your crazy second amendment.

I can sleep without a gun in my house , and that feels good.
I don't have to carry a gun around , EVER .
Shooting is NOT a sport , and never has been .
The greatest threat to your country IS your tolerance
of blind hypocrisy , peddled endlessly as one of your rights ...

I hope the next generation follows through with their
plan to put WMD's out of reach , and may God Himself
empower their struggle for freedom from the madness
that allows anyone to own such weapons .
Shalom

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 04:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
Nineteen of the first twenty dead in the Broad Arrow Cafe died from single shots to the head, all fired by the unknown marksman from his right hip.

No one on earth can do that...just saying...

So it didnt't happen then?

Obviously someone did it.

He's still in prison too..

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 04:58 AM
link   
a reply to: radarloveguy

Nah fella no I'm in the UK and have started shooting for sport and pest control.
I personally believe in our laws over here but to say it can not be a sport is just wrong.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 04:59 AM
link   
More desperate lies from the NRA press office I'm afraid op.

As others, including actual Australians have explained, their gun ban worked.

A gun ban worked in the Uk.

A gun ban would work in America too. If only assault rifle owners didn't love their assault rifles more than kids.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 05:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

Did my research.. Found it all icky.

sorry, but he was a nujob.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 05:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

There are still 2 million legally held guns in the UK.
It is to do with the culture I think something in the US is broken I do agree the US could limit guns in some way better background checks etc raise the age but no way are the US folk going to stand for our strict laws.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 05:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting

to say it can not be a sport is just wrong.

Buy yourself a surfboard , and paddle out into some
10 - 20 foot waves . You'll soon grow a pair ,
... and you'll realise what sport really is ...

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 05:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
Nineteen of the first twenty dead in the Broad Arrow Cafe died from single shots to the head, all fired by the unknown marksman from his right hip.

No one on earth can do that...just saying...

The conspiracy theory ignores the fact that the shots were made from extreme close range.

He literally walked up to his victims and pressed the gun against their heads. No special sniper skills required.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Shooting is NOT a sport

Have to disagree there mate. Shooting is a great sport. Hitting a 1 inch target at 300 yards requires a lot of skill, and is just as rewarding as hitting a bullseye with a dart, the stumps with a cricket ball or just hitting a tin can with a rock.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Nah the sea scares me more than anything after seeing our dark lord Chuthlu 1 mile out from Blackpool Beach as a wee child.
I do lots of sports including medieval sword fighting, Archery, Kayaking (rivers canals etc) and now shooting.
Plus now If zombies do come I will be alright as long as they are very slow and line up perfectly for me to get a eye ball shot.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 05:35 AM
link   
It never ceases to amaze how people use mental gymnastics.

"Gun crime" is made up PC bologna. Violent crime is violent crime. Being stabbed, bludgeoned, run over, or shot.....dead is dead. You arent more dead when you get shot.

"Mass shootings" is simply more people dying at once. Dying in a mass shooting is no more terrible than dying in a one on one killing. Lives lost in mass shootings, even children, are not more valuable tham lives lost in other ways. All lives matter, not just certain ones.

If we arent talking murder rates, and only murder rates minus the political jargon of "mass shootings" or "gun crime" then the discussion is both incredibly stupid and incredibly pointless.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 05:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns
a reply to: Sillyolme

School shootings aren't the only factor.

Again, firearms protect owners from all violent crimes. Many (including myself) would never subject ourselves to the will of violent criminals by permitting any sort of confiscation or Australia type actions.

Remember the old & wise adage: "When you ban guns, only criminals have guns. When you turn the entire gun-owning population into criminals overnight, you may not like the outcome."

I wonder what the rape rates are like down there, where women have to battle it out in hand to hand combat with her attacker...

And I wonder if, foreseeing this, they may have implemented some subliminal or other type of propaganda campaign to encourage women not to report rapes in order to countersct the anticipated surge?

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 05:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

a reply to: JohnnyCanuck
But mass shootings aren't the only factor. Firearms exist to protect the owner against *all* forms of violent crime. Therefore it is violent crime that needs to be examined to get a relevant factor. Not propaganda/dishonest tactics like only look at deaths from shootings.
It is helpful to note, Johnny, that Australia still lists firearms as the cause for around 20% of their annual murders. Hmm...Not to mention the fact that violent crime has gone up/not fallen. Doesn't look good, that is for sure.

The mass shootings of schoolchildren are the context for these current discussions. Please stop diluting and deflecting. It makes you look like a #ing monster.

Now I'm afraid to disagree because I dont want to look like a ... monster.

Now will you please watch your language while on a family site whete children can be exposed to the filth rotting your mind from the inside out? It makes you look like an absolute monster...

Now, thanks to you, I have to find some way to explain to my niece what a "F#king Monster" is and what it does. She already has a flying monster and a swimming monster from the new Action Monster line of toys, now shes gonna want one that can...do that thing you said... Now what am I supposed to tell her??

PS You may think its ok because ATS automatically censors your...filth.. but when I click quote reply, it shows up exactly as you typed it. Next time do it how i did and censor your own self... that is, if you can handle behaving like a civilized human instead of a bumbling, raging monster who only cares about what IT happens to be aggravated with at that particular moment...

I know you really don't like it when people say things different than what you would've said, but, with practice, hopefully you can reach a point one day where you can handle it without cussing like a sailor without giving a damn who's around to hear it every single time you are displeased with something... do you think just maybe you might be able to handle that? Can the women and children come out of the storm cellar yet or are not yet finished with your Rampage of Filth?

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 06:00 AM
link   
It reduced gun crime and school shootings which was it's purpose.

The purpose of this thread is obvious too.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 06:50 AM
link   
most school shootings n our history were done with pistols. In fact, I only recall this one and Sandy hook even using rifles of any kind. If anything, the attack on the rifle is way out of context in regards to school shootings overall in our history.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 07:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

But mass shootings aren't the only factor. Firearms exist to protect the owner against *all* forms of violent crime. Therefore it is violent crime that needs to be examined to get a relevant factor. Not propaganda/dishonest tactics like only look at deaths from shootings.
It is helpful to note, Johnny, that Australia still lists firearms as the cause for around 20% of their annual murders. Hmm...Not to mention the fact that violent crime has gone up/not fallen. Doesn't look good, that is for sure.

The mass shootings of schoolchildren are the context for these current discussions. Please stop diluting and deflecting. It makes you look like a #ing monster.

Now I'm afraid to disagree because I dont want to look like a ... monster.
Now will you please watch your language while on a family site whete children can be exposed to the filth rotting your mind from the inside out? It makes you look like an absolute monster... Can the women and children come out of the storm cellar yet or are not yet finished with your Rampage of Filth?

You want a 'rampage of filth'? Look at the apologists for these massacres as unfortunate but necessary blowback in their worship of the 2'nd. There's your filth!
And next time I feel the need to unload an epithet, I'll provide a parental advisory, like I do when I link to a Jonathan Pie video. Meanwhile, you'll notice that things are a mite looser here in the mudpit, and perhaps you'd like to keep the younguns out of the fray.
edit on 22-2-2018 by JohnnyCanuck because: yup!

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Taking away the tool will not stop the desire to harm.

That being said;

Australians are known for their beer, tough attitudes, their Swiss alps, and being the birthplace of Hitler.

So maybe they shouldn't be allowed to have guns.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Taking away the tool will not stop the desire to harm.
That being said;
Australians are known for their beer, tough attitudes, their Swiss alps, and being the birthplace of Hitler.
So maybe they shouldn't be allowed to have guns.

Sure. Well stated.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join