It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No, Australia's gun ban didn't reduce violent crime

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 01:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: buckwhizzle
I am pretty sure that we have some Aussie ATSers on here.I would like to hear their points of view on this as well.

I've never known gun violence. Never been shot at, nor felt the need to shoot anyone. We have fists...

But seeing things like this, make me wonder just where it all went wrong in the US... Surely, it's for protection and not some ego...

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 01:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: rollanotherone
a reply to: CaptainBeno

Why are you so concerned with US news? Is Straya that boring?

Umm, we're on the same forum. You don't get to tell people what to post, when the posts are not restricted to "Only Americans can reply."

Or is the echo chamber too quiet?

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 01:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Azureblue
a reply to: JBurns

From what I have read it seems the illegal gun trade has near on restored the number of guns to the pre 1996 numbers anyway.

Amazing what a false flag can accomplish

Here we go, tell me how bryant was a patsy and there is no way he could have shot that many people....

That's the problem, really. Every mass shooting is a false flag. there is no way some nut case with access to high powered weapons, and a sinister mind, can do anything like shoot people.

while we're at it, I'm sure Russia was involved.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 01:17 AM
link   

this shows how little "the world" understands america and our mindset, saying such a thing is basically challenging an american to care even less while telling you to keep looking at how little your opinions matter to us.

why should we copy you or any other country really when we in america view authority completely differently than the rest of the world, we don't trust authority at all especially the western variety...

if you want us to care then speak respectfully and stop acting like you're so much better than we are while insulting the central facet of american history and culture, our constitution isn't just a set of laws to arbitrarily discard like garbage, it's an insult to even suggest such nonsense.
edit on 22-2-2018 by namehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I agree that in America gun regulation won't do squat to stop the travesty of mass murder.

the problem with the USA isn't its lack of mental health care, or its guns. those are symptoms of a deeper more systemic problem. American culture in general is the problem.

as someone who spends large portions of the year in Australia for months at a time I can say that minus Sydney and Melbourne Australians are a very different society and culture.

they do have violence and crimes but nowhere near the levels per capita as america. most of Australia is very safe even before the gun ban and not because there are less guns but because as a people they're very different. the factors that lead to mass pathology in the usa are mitigated more so in Australia. violence in Australia breaks down to drug related, domestic and Bikie (biker gangs) related violence most often revolving around what is a highly looked down segement of society known as bogans (white trash)

in general Australia cares more about the common man then Americans do. it's why their society has a much higher quality of life by most people who have experienced it and then compared it to their time spent in america.

on the opposite side of the spectrum but also demonstrating my point. Switzerland has a huge gun culture with semi auto rifles dejour. 25 percent of the population there are gun owners and yet they have very little gun violence in comparison. could be its their markedly different culture that prevents the lead up to people snapping and commiting atrocities.

so in my feeble minded opinion guns in the usa and mental health care issues aren't the source of the problem but symptoms. putting band aids on them via shallowly thought out "solutions" conveniently contrived villains and trite analysis will solve nothing. american society as a whole is systemically diseased and needs changing. nobody wants to actually examine that unfortunate truth. hubris breeds nemesis and we're an example as tough a pill that is to swallow.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 01:29 AM
link   
a reply to: namehere

Whoah dude........Paranoia?

Do you have children?

Have you ever seen what .223 round does to your child's head. I hope to God you never have to experience seeing what a single round does to a human being.

It ain't all Pew pew pew.....you're turn.

Man up and admit your country is a mess and full of paranoid gun crazy nutters who all have a psychological problem.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 01:31 AM
link   
According to John Howard (ex prime minister who implemented the ban) gun violence, murders and suicides significantly reduced..

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 01:35 AM
link   
What I'd really like to know is, When this or the next president bans all semi automatic rifles and the like. What are the masses going to do about it?

a. fight in the streets and eventually get killed?
b. also become a lone vigilante, take out a few cops and get killed
c. take off to the wilderness, live a life with their gun and forget about their families....then be found, put up a fight.....then get killed
or
d. Absolutely f* all, because the prez said so.

I reckon y'all gun crazy knuckleheads go for either a,b or c

Drink up boys.....your time is a comin
edit on 22-2-2018 by CaptainBeno because: added a bit more

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Yeah Martin Bryant was such a crack shot...

members.iinet.net.au...

Just after noon on 28th April 1996, an unknown marksman opened fire on diners in the Broad Arrow Cafe at Port Arthur in Australia.In less than 20 minutes at this and five other crime scenes, the marksman killed 35, injured 22, and crippled two cars with only 64 shots. Nineteen of the first twenty dead in the Broad Arrow Cafe died from single shots to the head, all fired by the unknown marksman from his right hip.This staggering display of marksman- ship was blamed on left-handed and intellectually impaired Martin Bryant, whose shooting experience extended to popping off cans in the bush, and had no military training of any kind. From the time of his arrest, remand prisoner Martin Bryant was illegally held in strict solitary confinement and denied access to media of any kind until his police interrogation on 4th July 1996. When he refused to admit to the Port Arthur Massacre at interrogation, he was once more placed back in illegal solitary confinement. Eventually in desperation during November 1996, Martin Bryant pleaded "guilty" 72 times, thereby allowing the authorities to avoid a humiliating trial at which they could present no hard evidence of guilt.

Not all Australians feed on the MSM narrative

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 01:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck
Let's not confuse big city crime states with slaughtering schoolkids in their classrooms. It's unbecoming.

The question is what causes a person to WANT to do mass killing? Seems we do not look at that as much as the tool. What if he pulled the fire alarm and then walked out got into a truck and waited until 3000 kids all formed up in their designated areas, and then hit them at 90 MPH? What do we call that? What do we call crock pot bombs etc...

Methods can always change and even be worst than guns, so we would still be in the same spot if we outlawed ARs...

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 01:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
Nineteen of the first twenty dead in the Broad Arrow Cafe died from single shots to the head, all fired by the unknown marksman from his right hip.

No one on earth can do that...just saying...

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 01:46 AM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

for the most part Aussies are pretty happy, no need to kill others if you're happy , may as well get drunk, take this piss out of your mates,sleep well ,wake up go surfing and do it all again .

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I am Australian and have been around since before Port Arthur, our crimes are tiny compared to other countries, biggest issues are mostly gang related or bad husbands killing there wifes. Our laws allow guns, just not automatic or semi automatic ones. Its the rules on getting them or having them are tough. My daughter has a gun license since she was 17, but her gun is kept at the club where she goes shooting.

My belief is that the problem stems from the culture you need a gun to protect yourself, we are safer I think, because we all walk around thinking no one has a gun on them, so no problem. The tiny percent occasion someone has one, does not fill the need to get armed. Different story probably in America as their are more weapons than there are people.

I'm happy living in a country where only the police and security forces are the ones armed. Got a life to live to not worry about bad guys with guns.
edit on 22-2-2018 by myss427 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 01:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck
Is the topic du jour not mass shootings? Were they reduced? It appears so. Let's not confuse big city crime states with slaughtering schoolkids in their classrooms. It's unbecoming.

The liberal topic du jour is mass shootings. Normal people think a little more deeply about the impacts of a potential gun ban and refrain from using kids to drive home political narratives.
edit on 22/2/2018 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 02:08 AM
link   
well ...I'm certainly enjoying the many forms of American exceptionalism that ATS shows us every day....

sounds like a swell country....

I'm really envious ......

turdworld nation comes to mind.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 02:32 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Amen bro.....

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 02:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: badw0lf

originally posted by: Azureblue

From what I have read it seems the illegal gun trade has near on restored the number of guns to the pre 1996 numbers anyway.

Amazing what a false flag can accomplish

Here we go, tell me how bryant was a patsy and there is no way he could have shot that many people....

That's the problem, really. Every mass shooting is a false flag. there is no way some nut case with access to high powered weapons, and a sinister mind, can do anything like shoot people.

while we're at it, I'm sure Russia was involved.

Suggest you research the facts, Some facts you might uncover are:

The alledged shooter was 29 years old with an intellectual age of 13 years.
There has never been a coronial enquiry which is required by law when foreigners are killed and where fires are inovlved
A witness who suvived laid on the floor pretending to be dead and later said in a statement that the shooter was not Martin Bryant
Another injured person was in hosptial and was bebing guarded by a police officer who told him they had the shooter on the same floor of the same hospital. The injured bloke volunteerd to go and see the alledged shooter and identify him but the police said no.
Bryant bought two semi automatic guns and with a female friend went out into the bush and set up some bottles and cans. After taking two shots at the bottles he put the guns back into his vehicle because the noise frighted him. same thing with the second rifle as said by his female friend. he drove back to town to the gun smith he brought them from without knowing the guns were still ready to fire.
In a state that has about 5 murders a year for the previous 20 years, they went out and brought a 24 bay mortuary vehicle 3 months before the event. they sold it about 3 months later.
The premier of the state concerned resigned his job and went to work for the Prime minister On anti gun legislation.
3 months before the event the former premier said "there will be no gun control in Australia until there is a massacre in Tasmania" 3 months later the event occurred.

what ya make of that short sample of evidence. We will say nothing about the exculpatory evidence found but was dismissed, nor will we say anything about his so called lawyer who was working for the prosecution.

cheers

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 03:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

A lot of contentious points there but it has no bearing on the American problem at hand. My opinion as an outsider is it's a culture problem and Americans need to find their own solution as the time for doing nothing (hoping it'll go away) is fast expiring.

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 04:00 AM
link   

www.abc.net.au... well they now have more guns then before the massacre so i guess we can wait to see how it turns out

Shooters, Fishers and Farmers Party representative Robert Borsak said the laws addressed gun control from the wrong angle and non-registration of illegal firearms was the issue that should be focused on. They are putting forward a bill in NSW to demand tougher penalties for criminals who use guns.He argued the ban on most semi-automatic firearms has made it harder to control feral animals."What is important is the person that uses the firearm and all the things around the universal background checking that was introduced — safe firearm storage, training and all the other things that go along with it — really is the important part of what goes on," Mr Borsak said. "We also don't think that registration per se has achieved very much. "The non-registration of illegal firearms is the issue that we think should be focused on." The Federal Government is trying to change the law so that people found guilty of trafficking illegal firearms will go to jail for a minimum of five years.
it also seems that illegal guns are still a factor and registration was not all it was cracked up to be

posted on Feb, 22 2018 @ 04:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Haven't spent much time on that website today but years ago in a magazine I read there were multiple special military in the vicinity in civilian clothes.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join