It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Age Limits

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
I'm also Connor McCloud from the clan McClouds,. . . . . .

So when I use my phased plasma rifle in the 40Watt range to laser your head off you'll understand.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

So it's not about actual maturity but how much the state wants to pay out.

So it's arbitrary.

It's not about nor has it ever been about maturity or being able to handle or cope with the specific responsibility.

When people bring up these age limits and try to justify the dichotomy, I always feel like they are pissing on me and whispering that it's just rain.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I'm also Connor McCloud from the clan McClouds,. . . . . .

So when I use my phased plasma rifle in the 40Watt range to laser your head off you'll understand.

You can't.

I once sat next to a guy on a bus who valet parked a car for a Mason.

I'm protected.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

It's not about nor has it ever been about maturity or being able to handle or cope with the specific responsibility.

Agreed. Except if you own firearms and have kids, you teach them that responsibility early to prevent tragedies from occurring.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 07:42 PM
link   

You can't.

I once sat next to a guy on a bus who valet parked a car for a Mason.

I'm protected.

Goddamn technicalities.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

That's what I was thinking. Everything should be based on the MENTAL age of the purchaser/user.

Each year after age 16, you're given a test at the Secretary of State's office. You can't even join ATS until you're mentally 21 years old.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: queenofswords

You can't even join ATS until you're mentally 21 years old.

WTF Dood!

You don't want me POSTING???

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 08:25 PM
link   

You are mature enough to get an abortion at 15.
You are mature enough to get gender reassignment services at 15.
You are mature enough to drive at 16.
You are mature enough to vote at 18.
You are mature enough to join the service at 18.
You are mature enough to purchase alcohol at 21.
You are mature enough to buy a firearm at ?.

If this doesn't confuse you, then you are much smarter than I could ever be.

Why are we "mature" enough for some things and not "mature" enough for others?

Why not make it 21 for everything?

Can someone please illsutrate the logic behind this?

I placed this in the pit, so don't expect me to be all nice and courteous either.

First mistake is equating maturity to age...

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Lab4Us

Then why set an age limit?

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: aethertek

A gun is designed to expel a projectile. That is all it does. The operator decides the intended target of that projectile. Guns also make pretty good paperweights and passable hammers, but that is not what they were designed to do. I suppose you could even use one in place of corncob, but that it a pretty crappy way to treat a firearm.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deplorable

You are mature enough to get an abortion at 15.

So you're old enough to be scroggin' and conceive a child at 14.

OTOH, I know people who are 60 I wouldn't trust with a gun.

Yup. I agree. At what age do we become adults?

I think you can keep your kids in school and claim them as dependents on your taxes til they turn 26.

26 sounds like a good age to me. Raise all of those bars to 26.

You have sex a 25 - do 25 to life. You have sex with someone less than 26 - do 25 to life. I like going overboard on the rules. Makes people think.

Also should not have to pay adult price at the movies until 26 years old.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I find some of the right wing talking points about these kids ridiculous. They tell them, they are too young to have an opinion about gun control but then say they can have guns.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 08:59 PM
link   
No one has said the obvious,

You're old enough to lose all or parts of your life from your dumb actions at the age of 18, ( You're an adult, can goto jail )

So if you're old enough to be tried as an adult, why would you have anything else be passed that?

Is there the upper echelon of being an adult,
or should the age of being an adult be changed
or should the age of everything be the age of being an adult...

Because, it's weird otherwise and unbalanced...
edit on 21-2-2018 by Tranceopticalinclined because: because...

edit on 21-2-2018 by Tranceopticalinclined because: because twice fold

Edited again to answer the question below this post...
Kids have the right to an opinion, but need written parental consent for any execution of expressed opinion... ( best I can do,
)

edit on 21-2-2018 by Tranceopticalinclined because: edit on 21-2-2018 by Tranceopticalinclined because: because, 3 fold to answer the question below me from DC ( Hello! )

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 08:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: donnydeevil
I find some of the right wing talking points about these kids ridiculous. They tell them, they are too young to have an opinion about gun control but then say they can have guns.

Just curious, but who says the kids are too young to have an opinion?

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Your kidding right? There are threads about this issue and a lot of the people, I consider to be conservative, are all saying it. They are too young to have an opinion about gun control, they are allowing their parents to dictate to them what to say, the dems are using them...and so on, well at least those are the current people being blamed when these kids speak up.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: donnydeevil

Interesting.

I've not seen anyone critical about the kids having an opinion.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 09:11 PM
link   

a reply to: Lab4Us

Then why set an age limit?

Age 21 limit would get them out of high school at least. I agree with 21 on military service and voting. I think beer should be 18. Driving is ok at 16. No age should be ok for gender reassignment although gender reassignment is better than shooting up your classmates.

I would also allow firearms to be owned by 18-20, but under the custody of a gun range. Still won't stop them from getting to parents weapons.

I would be ok with all guns being banned but it is not practical as criminals will always have guns. Hunting, sport and homestead defense is a reality as well so confining them to gun ranges isn't practical either. Then there is that whole tyranny thing.

edit on 21-2-2018 by sligtlyskeptical because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 09:35 PM
link   

"What's not rhetorical is that many Parkland School students are FAKING their SORROW and ANGER."

"Those kids are outright idiots.

I wonder where she got that talking point. "

"When did a bunch of adolescent punks,,..(I could give two f's how much "ptsd" they got/have) get a say in National Policy? Really? A bunch of little punks are telling the POTUS, what? They can't even vote! "

"More misinformed idiots that are being led down the path of no return by the hysterical Liberal retards."

"I don't blame the kids, because, well, garbage in and garbage out, and I have no doubt this is coming from their parents."

"That,... and all the old bomba/hillary/Schumer/ anti talking points. Fortified with adult catch phrases and buzz words. Then speed in which they "organized"? ... They got some "real pros" quick and slick coaching them. Not to mention the eloquence of there speech for a bunch of public shool kids. Yeah, somebody is using this tragedy for no good."

"Meanwhile, Students are practicing their lines and attending parties. All smiles over their new found fame."

Parkland Students to President Trump: Stay ‘Far Away’ From Us

Did not post names because I am unclear of the rules of ATS.

Replies from a thread I created. Don't got time to check the other ones I have read but they are all over the place, that they are being coached or since they can't vote, do not have the right to voice an opinion.

I mean, ever since this shooting and the responses from the students, there have been plenty of people saying they do not have a right to an opinion based on their age or voting capabilities.

You have not seen them?

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: donnydeevil

So you're saying that people can't have opinions about other people's opinions?

I'm confused.

(It's a regular thing.)

The issue is gun control.

Of course there's going to be different opinions.

Sheesh

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 10:17 PM
link   

I am saying these same people will tell these children that their opinion is not valid due to age or being manipulated but will argue for these same children to have guns, even though they consider their opinions invalid.

So how does that work, you're too young to have an opinion about gun control because of your age but here have one..even though we consider your mindset to be too young to fully comprehend what owning a gun means?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join