It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Twitter deletes Russian bots, right wingers freak out!

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: MotherMayEye

Again. The effects don't HAVE to be equal if the number of bots favor one side or the other. This isn't Communism where everyone gets the same treatment.

If there are 100 liberal bots and 1000 conservative bots then the purge would be conservative biased even if the algorithm detecting the bots is programmed apolitically. This is true for the reverse as well.

If we were to follow your idea then 100 liberal bots and 100 conservative bots would be deleted and 900 conservative bots would remain. That is dumb.

This is just common sense.

There can be one million conservative bots and 10 liberal ones deactivated or vice versa. I'm not arguing that is a red flag about Twitter's bias.

What I am saying is the number of REAL accounts that were deactivated should be similar for liberals and conservatives based on the criteria you quoted Twitter used.

Ehhh... I feel like that is a stretch at best. I could MAYBE agree if you said the ratio of humans to bots would be similar between both partisan aisles but the total numbers could be anything between the two. Though even that is iffy at best if the amount of bots is extremely lopsided in favor of conservatives.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
a reply to: DBCowboy

Censorship of soulless bots that have no rights.

Doesn't bother me one bit.

The humans that got caught in the purge can easily get back on twitter.

Lastly this is a business and I always side with letting a business choose who they do business with.

Censorship of soulless Russian bots.

Bots that follow Jay-pew and Hillary and such get a pass.

All bots are equal, but some bots are more equal than others?

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   

What I am saying is the number of REAL accounts that were deactivated should be similar for liberals and conservatives based on the criteria Krazysh0t quoted Twitter used.

I went back and read what krazy had quoted. I agree, all things being equal there is no reason to believe that more real repubs should get flagged than real dems do. If they do it would mean one of three things.

1. The republican party really is full of people that abuse twitter and violate it's terms on a regular bases. (very unlikely IMO)

2. twitter is biased against republicans.

3. There are a lot more republicans on twitter than there are dems.

I guess i could throw a 4 in here and say maybe they just gave the computer the wrong purge perimeters an accident...
edit on 21-2-2018 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

Ether way it will still be a week or more before we know all the facts.
edit on 21-2-2018 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   

oh hell no. Down with all bots!
That's what I say.

We should never have gone down this path and created a thing we can't tell is human or not and can't even see or touch it to make sure.

It was dum , and I think the reality of all that has happened surrounding them so far proves my point.
They need to be illegal.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
God I feel old.

So guessing I'm the only person who isn't using twitter or doesn't even gaf about it.

What do you guys even do?

Just troll celebs and each other I mean is that its purpose?

Don't feel bad. I don't "tweet" or "instagram". I have a facebook for something to look at while on the crapper, but rarely post anything.

I just think it would be silly to have "followers" whom I could let know when I'm doing something. I rarely do anything exciting, so letting others know how boring I am just doesn't sound like a good idea. It would blow my ATS persona of a bad ass ladies man.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

yes, they are... that was never in dispute. what everyone is saying is it looks liek the "bots" and "trolls" the FBI and CIA credit with ruining American democracy are actually human beings.

The outrage being that you were flagged as a bot for the simple act of sharing conservative memes/info/news. as in, that's not a legitimate view to hold on Twitter. yes you can reactivate... but you already have that "conservative troll" flag on your account.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

Again. The effects don't HAVE to be equal if the number of bots favor one side or the other. This isn't Communism where everyone gets the same treatment.

If there are 100 liberal bots and 1000 conservative bots then the purge would be conservative biased even if the algorithm detecting the bots is programmed apolitically. This is true for the reverse as well.

If we were to follow your idea then 100 liberal bots and 100 conservative bots would be deleted and 900 conservative bots would remain. That is dumb.

This is just common sense.

There can be one million conservative bots and 10 liberal ones deactivated or vice versa. I'm not arguing that is a red flag about Twitter's bias.

What I am saying is the number of REAL accounts that were deactivated should be similar for liberals and conservatives based on the criteria you quoted Twitter used.

Ehhh... I feel like that is a stretch at best. I could MAYBE agree if you said the ratio of humans to bots would be similar between both partisan aisles but the total numbers could be anything between the two. Though even that is iffy at best if the amount of bots is extremely lopsided in favor of conservatives.

Clearly, you didn't understand what I wrote.

Twitter essentially claims that 'real people behaving badly' may have been caught up in the purge because of the criteria used. The number of actual bots caught isn't relevant to whether Twitter targeted and purged real conservatives' accounts and have required them to provide a phone number to prove they are *real* and reactivate their accounts.

There should be a comparable number of 'real people behaving badly' on Twitter between those who support both parties.

One party is not just so much more *well-behaved.* That's a bunch of crap if you expect me to believe that.

edit on 2/21/2018 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

I am right there with you and I think we are exactly on the same page.

I'm not settled either, and I hope time will tell one way or another.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah
Wow. So...
Twitter is trying to purge Trump supporters or anyone left-leaning if they are not willing to give a phone number?
And they really think that people are going to believe that only bots will not give a phone number?

Wow. The Dems are seriously into some heavy hitting attempts to shut people up and annihilate anyone who does not blindly follow the BS they push on MSM. It's not just Twitter. They are hitting hard in every direction.

It's sad that the country has come to this.

Pathological in the relentlessness.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Censorship of soulless bots that have no rights.

Doesn't bother me one bit.

The humans that got caught in the purge can easily get back on twitter.

Lastly this is a business and I always side with letting a business choose who they do business with.

That's all well and good if Twitter OPENLY states that Trump supporter's aren't welcome there and according to Twitter employees using the word "Trump" has been used in the programs to detect "bots" ...of course they will never openly admit that. The humans that got "purged" can NOT easily get back on without the restriction of NOW having to give their phone#.

Since Trump has decided Twitter is a way he can communicate directly with the public it's especially disturbing to target his supporters on Twitter.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Well I really don't understand what all the fuss is about.

All this talk of censorship is nonsense, Facebook is not the Government nor a Government Agency, they're a publicly traded private company who has the right to kick anyone out of their house that they feel is stinking up the place.

If "conservatives" don't like abiding by the rules of a public free market company (job creator Uber capitalist) like Facebook they can just pull themselves up by their own bootstraps apply their entrepreneurial spirit & create their own social media site.

They should call it FacePlant in honor of how well that joke of a site called "Conservapedia" worked out for them.
K~

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Twitter is free. Just like ATS is free and Welfare benefits are free.

No right to complain if kicked off of any of those.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: MountainLaurel

target his supporters on Twitter.

We don't know this for a fact yet.
It's an opinion only at this point.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: aethertek

All this talk of censorship is nonsense, Facebook is not the Government nor a Government Agency, they're a publicly traded private company who has the right to kick anyone out of their house that they feel is stinking up the place.

If "conservatives" don't like abiding by the rules of a public free market company (job creator Uber capitalist) like Facebook they can just pull themselves up by their own bootstraps apply their entrepreneurial spirit & create their own social media site.

They should call it FacePlant in honor of how well that joke of a site called "Conservapedia" worked out for them.
K~

I think they should absolutely seek out or create a new platform for the type of communication Twitter offers.

But the debate isn't really about a limit on the First Amendment right to free expression...Twitter isn't legally bound to protect anyone's free speech, per se, like the government is.

The debate is about purchase power and the leverage a free market wields.

If conservatives exited Twitter, en masse...Twitter would effectively become, like, a DailyKos and lose their status as a social media giant. They would become a joke footnote in social media history, a very hard lesson learned, and example of how NOT to conduct business.

edit on 2/21/2018 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: aethertek

K~

Again did you watch the video with Twitter employee saying that they were being DIRECTED by the government, now we see Sen. Dianne Feinstein and Rep. Adam Schiff DEMANDING to know if the "bots" influenced the elections...YES...the government has their dirty hands all over this.

I suppose you also support a private business being able to discriminate or choose to not do business with people they believe "stinks" up the place too ?

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   

BS all the "conservatives" have been crying "censorship" in this thread.

Nice so called economic threat, too bad for you whenever the "conservatives" cry boycott it always is a complete failure, so knock yourself out.

K~

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   

target his supporters on Twitter.

We don't know this for a fact yet.
It's an opinion only at this point.

Fair enough .....time will tell.
The blatant biased against Trump and his supporter's is just sooo in our face. I voted 3rd party, but at this point I'm supporting our POTUS.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: Lysergic
God I feel old.

So guessing I'm the only person who isn't using twitter or doesn't even gaf about it.

What do you guys even do?

Just troll celebs and each other I mean is that its purpose?

Don't feel bad. I don't "tweet" or "instagram". I have a facebook for something to look at while on the crapper, but rarely post anything.

I just think it would be silly to have "followers" whom I could let know when I'm doing something. I rarely do anything exciting, so letting others know how boring I am just doesn't sound like a good idea. It would blow my ATS persona of a bad ass ladies man.

No worries, mate. lol, rep is still stellar.

I only have FB for family and work.

I rarely post there too. The wife lives there, tho.

I don't tweet either, but it is troubling they are deleting wholesale.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   

To get rid of the hostile foreign bots from Russia, perfectly reasonable considering recent events.

Too bad that so many "conservatives" got caught up in it.
If "conservatives" hadn't readily involved themselves in & redistributed obvious propaganda pieces they wouldn't be collateral damage.

Lay down with dogs, wake up with fleas.

K~

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
a reply to: soundguy

first, hilarious.

second, if twitter can purge bots cant they just prevent them or eliminate them right away?

i dont really get how it works but if there are that many bots out there then all of it is bull#.
I heard about the fake accounts years ago at an IT conference. Never heard it was Russians till now. Can't wait till they purge all the left leaning accounts... oh wait Twitter is Left.
edit on 21-2-2018 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join