It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Twitter deletes Russian bots, right wingers freak out!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Martin75
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I was locked out. NOW it is removing the people I'm following along with my followers.
Love the censorship!

Only it isn't working. I'm finding even new friends.

Unfortunately, those too... are bots.. LOL

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: ErrorErrorError

Really? So people deliberately spamming platforms with fake information is the same as "programs" and avatars?! Rofl. You are way out of your comfort zone now

No I didn't say that. I said if you cannot handle them then it is likely you cannot handle much, and would rather corporations and governments handle it for you. In other words, your self-loathing is ruining it for the rest of us.
edit on 21-2-2018 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

Well, at least you can let me answer before you try to speak for me. I have zero problems considering new information about the purge as it becomes available.

Geez.

Where did I specifically call you out? If you are willing to change your mind about the purge as it becomes clearer that it wasn't as sinister as the right has been trying to make it out then that is denying ignorance and there is nothing wrong with that. As such that also means I wasn't talking about you.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

You're not alone.

I don't twitter, and the next time I use FB will be the first.

I do have a twitter account, but I'm durned if I can even remember the handle, much less the password...

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Well, at least you can let me answer before you try to speak for me. I have zero problems considering new information about the purge as it becomes available.

Geez.

Where did I specifically call you out? If you are willing to change your mind about the purge as it becomes clearer that it wasn't as sinister as the right has been trying to make it out then that is denying ignorance and there is nothing wrong with that. As such that also means I wasn't talking about you.

You responded to a comment that was directed at me.

If you weren't trying to speak for me or mischaracterize my thinking on the topic, when you wrote:

So many posters are trying to make this out to be a bigger deal because they want to feel persecuted no matter what. Even people who don't have Twitter are trying to jump in on the fun of pretending to be persecuted.

..then, I don't feel bad for assuming you were.

Thanks for clearing it up though.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

Honestly, I didn't even look at the name of the poster he was responding to. I just read what he wrote and agreed with it.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   

To answer your question...if Twitter didn't primarily target real accounts belonging to conservatives and there were nearly as many (or more) real accounts belonging to liberals that were deactivated, then it changes everything. Yes, I would definitely revise my opinion on the purge.

edit on 2/21/2018 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

originally posted by: jimmyx

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986
a reply to: soundguy

вы не можете троллить лучше меня товарищ.

type in English or get the F out, you've already done this several times and the mods haven't done anything yet....are you typing instructions on how to destroy America, or telling your comrades secretly in America what the next operation is suppose to do

L O L ! ! ! !

Everyone look, more censorship!!

How about YOU post something of substance for once or get the F out?

Actually scratch that, because I don't want to turn into a closet dictator like you. Plus I'd rather you continue posting your ignorance because it is a great reminder of how fortunate I am to NOT be living in the same bubble as you.

And for that, спасибо товарищу!!!

read 15i of the terms and conditions of ATS, it says type in English, period...........and you talk of ignorance?????????
go away little man, and bother someone else you can lie to.....

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   

It's been known for sometime now that there is more fake news on the right side of the media spectrum than the left. Hell there are studies that show that the left is harder to fool with fake news. I'm not going to comment on that one way or the other, but it isn't surprising to me that conservative accounts are more affected than liberal ones.

This isn't a 1:1 thing where an equal number of liberal bots and conservative bots have to be taken out. If there are more conservative bots than liberal ones then there will be a bias in the crackdown. That's just the reality of the situation. Nothing nefarious about it.

At the end of the day, the fact that you can easily recover your account if you were locked out shows that people bitching about this don't want to accept that they had tons of bots following them or were themselves following bots. In my opinion, this is likely because they think it reflects on them being seen as gullible so it is easier to adopt a platform of persecution and create a conspiracy theory that they are being unfairly singled out.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Given that the founder of Twitter, Jack Dorsey, retweeted Russian tweets himself, it makes you wonder if this purge of Russian bots is an act of projection.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: Lysergic

You're not alone.

I don't twitter, and the next time I use FB will be the first.

I do have a twitter account, but I'm durned if I can even remember the handle, much less the password...

But you're missing out on all the hashtag movements. How can you live with yourself?

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: soundguy

yeah that's not whats happening at all... they are deleting real people with conservation views' accounts, accusing them of being Russian troll because they are conservative...

nice misrepresentation of the issue though.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   

It's been known for sometime now that there is more fake news on the right side of the media spectrum than the left. Hell there are studies that show that the left is harder to fool with fake news. I'm not going to comment on that one way or the other, but it isn't surprising to me that conservative accounts are more affected than liberal ones.

No. That's not *known*, it's only believed by people who want to believe it.

And if it was *known* and *true*, it doesn't explain why real accounts belonging to conservatives would be deactivated in a purge that was supposed to eliminate bots.

In fact, it would suggest that conservative accounts were specifically targeted -- regardless of whether they were bots or not -- and Twitter just wanted to weed out only pro-conservative bots (ETA: AND reduce the number of real conservative users, too, because many will not reactivate).

It would suggest that Twitter operates like the Gestapo.

edit on 2/21/2018 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: smkymcnugget420

Except you are lying. No one's accounts have been deleted. They are all recoverable. Even the bot accounts.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

It's a struggle sometimes, but I'm tough, after all, I can always snuggle up with my guns!

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   

No. That's not *known*, it's only believed by people who want to believe it.

And if it was *known* and *true*, it doesn't explain why real accounts belonging to conservatives would be deactivated in a purge that was supposed to eliminate bots.

What do you need explaining for this? At the end of the day it is impossible to see if an account is staffed by a bot or a real person. The best way is to flag suspicious ones then force all of them to reverify. The real ones will reverify and the bots will be left in the cold.

As an IT professional, myself, that's what I'D do. Hell we actually DO do something similar to this when we have to clean our active directory of old accounts. Instead of flat out deleting all of them, we disable them. If we accidentally disabled the wrong account then all that person has to do is call us and say something and it is a simple click in the active directory to reenable it. It's simple and effective; and since it doesn't delete the accounts it covers your ass in case the wrong accounts are swept up in the purge.

IT 101 right there.

In fact, it would suggest that conservative accounts were specifically targeted, regardless of whether they were bots or not and Twitter just wanted to weed out only pro-conservative bots.

It would suggest that Twitter operates like the Gestapo.

*eyeroll* And here I was hoping you had pulled your head out of the silly conspiracy theory based 100% on speculation and hearsay cloud.
edit on 21-2-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   

This isn't a 1:1 thing where an equal number of liberal bots and conservative bots have to be taken out. If there are more conservative bots than liberal ones then there will be a bias in the crackdown. That's just the reality of the situation. Nothing nefarious about it.

At the end of the day, the fact that you can easily recover your account if you were locked out shows that people bitching about this don't want to accept that they had tons of bots following them or were themselves following bots. In my opinion, this is likely because they think it reflects on them being seen as gullible so it is easier to adopt a platform of persecution and create a conspiracy theory that they are being unfairly singled out.

the serious part of all of this, krazyshot...well. serious to me, anyway...is that I haven't seen one trump voter admit to Russian bots being used to sway their votes....and with that blind allegiance, what would happen if trump started feeling really threatened about being impeached and/or jailed, and he called on all the right-wing militias to come to Washington and defend him with loaded weapons, you know, "to eliminate the unpatriotic scourge of liberals out to get him"...or some wild-ass words to that affect.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 02:02 PM
link   

What do you need explaining for this? At the end of the day it is impossible to see if an account is staffed by a bot or a real person. The best way is to flag suspicious ones then force all of them to reverify.

Oh, I don't need it to be explained, but you did a great job.

Expressing a conservative point of view, on Twitter, makes you "suspicious."

Gestapo.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   

What do you need explaining for this? At the end of the day it is impossible to see if an account is staffed by a bot or a real person. The best way is to flag suspicious ones then force all of them to reverify.

Gestapo.

I thought it was simply a scouring to see who had a Russian root IP (or who had used one in the past).

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wayfarer

Gestapo.

I thought it was simply a scouring to see who had a Russian root IP (or who had used one in the past).

Do you have a link for that?

I am genuinely interested in learning how the deactivated accounts were targeted.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join