It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Well.....Told you so.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: onthedownlow

So my co-worker who just told me to get effed can face charges?

Sec, calling the nine one one!

I get what you're aiming at, but the level of threat just isn't there in your example.
edit on 20-2-2018 by JinMI because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

It would be a chargeable offense... we ther or not it was would depend on other tangibles. 2 weeks ago Rankin's threat isn't a big deal, this week it is

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 10:23 PM
link   

What was his history? All I've heard about is him posting a YouTube comment. Genuine question, I'm not implying you're wrong.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Here lies the limits of free speech - when it's determined by government that your speech(oral or written) might lead to the deaths of humans.

'Might' being the almighty operative word there, so if this bloke was spouting the same crap as Cruz then the pattern must have fit the governments base reference point which activated the arrest.

Interesting development. I wonder if this is just the first of many more to come.

I wonder if this will change the way folks type stuff on the internet?

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I know you didn't ask me, I'm curious, too.

From the statements made by the Chief, I certainly got the impression there was something else that lead to even more concern...but that may be just me.

I've not found anything else, may be too early yet...?

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

What was his history? All I've heard about is him posting a YouTube comment. Genuine question, I'm not implying you're wrong.

Apparently, it was a long history. You'll need to look it up for exact numbers, but it was 25-40 police calls about him between 2010 and 2017. He shot at animals, IIRC!

And then the school expelled him for threatening behavior and he changed schools. Please look this all up, my recollection is very general (PARTLY BECAUSE there has been conflicting information reported about him).

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Interesting, looks like words are going to be the new battlefront.

Pretty dumb move by the kid considering the current climate, he needs to be investigated At the very least and anyone thinking of posting threats in the near future anywhere on the internet may need to take notice .

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 10:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: onthedownlow

It would be a chargeable offense... we ther or not it was would depend on other tangibles. 2 weeks ago Rankin's threat isn't a big deal, this week it is

Can you show me the statute please?

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

Here lies the limits of free speech - when it's determined by government that your speech(oral or written) might lead to the deaths of humans.

Ahhhh...that's practically limitless compared to reality.

It's a crime to make a FALSE threat or make a false report to police in most states. If a FALSE threat/report causes people to have to evacuate or businesses to close down and results in law enforcement or other officials to be dispatched in response....

...that's typically illegal.

When your speech causes people to be afraid and evacuate, and law enforcement to divert their time...that's the limit. (ETA: I bet it's even more limited than I am aware of, even.)

A real threat...I'm not even sure a real threat is ever charged when the threatened crime is committed or attempted to be committed. I think prosecutors pretty much focus on the crime committed/attempted, not the threat.

I seriously doubt Nikolas Cruz will ever be charged with making a terroristic threat like the *copycats* that have been arrested and charged.

edit on 2/20/2018 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Just want to point something out, not just for you, but for me, as well.

That ain't no kid. I know I was thinking that way too. "Stupid kid" etc... He's 24 years old. 24 years old, I was working the deck of a fishing trawler in the Bering Sea, responsible for the lives of my fellow crew. Others here were fighting in wars at that age, or younger. I'm thinking he ought to be fully aware of the consequences of what he typed...especially given the events of very recent days.

Maybe he has issues of the mental variety, IDK. But one thing is certain, 24 years old, I think we should not be calling him a kid.

Just something that began to bug me, a few minutes ago.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 10:45 PM
link   

He should be arrested for his idiocy, his lack of a sense of humor, and his stylistic sense.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Fair call, young adult is likely a better description.
edit on 20-2-2018 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

School suspension with weapon (allegedly)
Problems with threatening students to the point where he was not allowed on the premises with a backpack (also allegedly)
Problems with the neighbors(allegedly)

These things in conjunction with the comment seems to be enough to open an investigation were they to link that.

Investigations, questions, these things are tools in the massive toolbox to be used. Knee-jerking shouldn't be.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

We will see.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

I can go with that...

Not sure why it bugged me. Maybe it was the beard.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 11:07 PM
link   

I just visited a Raw Story article on CTs and the Flroida shooting...and I read some of the comments...

Link

Uh...some of those comments are about as scary and threatening as I have ever seen. Good god.

It reminds me of why I stopped reading Raw Story several years ago. Their commenters are a bunch of progressive-posers who exhibit the most vicious, violent, and threatening behavior I've seen on the internet.Thuggish monsters pretending to be compassionate. Yuck.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

Folks hate having their reality challenged.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 11:13 PM
link   
The pitfalls of being "connected"...

Instantly all who may be interested or merely browsing can read or see your message or image..

Examples:

Fictitious Facebook posts:

#1.
"I'm nearly broke but going to the store anyway to get what I can. Should probably just knock the store over...they've been robbing the community anyways with their prices..LOL."

#2.
"Dude, makes me sick that Jesse got beat up yesterday after class for no reason, watch...tomorrow I'm going to set some things straight. I hope everyone is prepared!"

Both are threats, yet taken out of context by prevailing current tragedies.

What if stores were being robbed, owners or employees killed on an epidemic scale, yet school shootings were non-existent or happened very little?

Would you be as upset? Would the weapons used be such a factor??

What if in post #2, the students intent was to show up the next day and talk to everyone involved? Try to make a difference without violence... should he NEED to be clear about that??? Should he be arrested first to ascertain that??

What are we going to do? Arrest everyone who has a bad day?? Anyone who feels marginalized, inadequate, unappreciated, overlooked, etc. etc.????

This snip is getting out of hand. Without this instant "connection", would anyone know what anyone else was thinking at any given time? When did it become necessary or useful to know that? When and how did we get to sharing everything???

Granted, the "connection" could provide a early warning, but if it didn't exist like before, this would be as prolific as it is now.

Hell.... these shootings aren't even prolific. It's actually isolated with major casualties so it seems like it happens everyday...."you could be next...keep your kids at home....fear....fear...fear.."

And since we are given the daily convenience ads for pills, cars, food, sex, blah blah blah...everyone wants a convenient answer without actually sticking their necks out.

Ok... I'm done. (Oops!! Better not say that...I might get arrested for triggering some fear induced, apathetic couch potato, who cries to the government every time they stub their toe..)

edit on E28America/ChicagoTue, 20 Feb 2018 23:16:26 -06002pmTuesdayth11pm by EternalShadow because: add/correction

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 11:15 PM
link   
He deserves to be arrested, Darwin award goes to...

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

You'll find that their "compassion" lasts only as long as your usefulness to them.

Not all of 'em, mind you...but far, far too many.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join