It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Well.....Told you so.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 09:37 PM
link   
So what's with bashing the FBI for not dealing with the Parkland shooter for his "thought crimes"? It seems certain members here want their cake and to eat it too.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: JinMI

Aaaand free speech just died.

Dangerous speech has never been free. I think a rational person could see how such speech could be dangerous, hell, I am pretty sure Rankin understands that now

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

I posted in another thread about 7 copycats that were arrested. You're source is double!!

There very well may be lives saved. Childrens lives. It's only at the cost of some folks 1st amendment rights. So all is good?

Neither outcome is good, one evil doesn't justify the other. I wish I had the answers.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

There is a clear difference between a knock on the door and behind brought up on charges.

Given available evidence, there is a very large difference between the two cases.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 09:41 PM
link   

suspect posted a picture of an AR-15 with the caption "I'm thinking about finally going back to school.

A week after that horrible shooting he posts that? Does not seem veiled to me. What he meant is crystal clear to me.

If he spends a couple of days in jail and get's a psych evaluation it's a good thing, even if it was a sick twisted joke. He'll learn to not do that again.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 09:42 PM
link   

The only difference I can see is that one guy went through with his threat while the other didn't have the chance to. Either you want the FBI to intervene with such threats or you don't, you can't have it both ways.

link   

I don't have the answers either.

In the case about the 19 year old that didn't report the threat the two younger girls made on social media to try to get school to close for the day...

...well, it's generally illegal to even make false threats.

No answer, here.

link   
Terroristic Threats. Been around forever. Same reason a person cant tell me they are going to get me. Actually had that yelled to me as the police were arresting a feller for breaking and entering. They immediately added terroristic threats to the charges.
Good thing , too. For him .
The feller in Florida should have been arrested by the FBI for the remarks he made.Same charges. You cant tell someone that you are going to shoot them. No , the FBI was ordered years ago to stand down on this type of thing...who ordered it ? That is a whole nother thread.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: onthedownlow

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Aaaand free speech just died.

Dangerous speech has never been free. I think a rational person could see how such speech could be dangerous, hell, I am pretty sure Rankin understands that now

Dangerous speech, hate speech, speech people don't like is the reason we PROTECT free speech.

If everyone was only allowed to say socially acceptable things, there'd be no need for freedom of expression.

Which is where we're heading.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I don't see it that way at all. This isn't simple either/or.

Cruz had history. Multiple flags raised and what amounted to a feeble attempt to speak with him. Also, over a span of time.

This guy posted this Monday night and he is now in custody. Again, given the available information in the article, over one posting.

link   

“I’m thinking about finally going back to school”.

In and of themselves, of course, these words mean nothing, certainly nothing that would warrant police involvement...

But... Add a picture of a gun, muchless the much maligned AR15, and you've got reason to sit up and take notice. What else was cause for concern, I don't know obviously, but I got the feeling there were other concerns, as well.

If it was a joke, he needs lessons about what constitutes humour... Stupid idiot.

If it was the musings of someone on the edge...some action needed to take place. I suppose there'll be details coming forth in the near future.

Damned sick f'n world sometimes. I think some time at an art museum, or someplace similar, is in my future...or maybe just a walk in the park, now that spring is nearing.

link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

suspect posted a picture of an AR-15 with the caption "I'm thinking about finally going back to school.

A week after that horrible shooting he posts that? Does not seem veiled to me. What he meant is crystal clear to me.

If he spends a couple of days in jail and get's a psych evaluation it's a good thing, even if it was a sick twisted joke. He'll learn to not do that again.

If we're going to start jailing people for being a dick online, will you visit me and bring cigarettes?

I understand it's jail-currency.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

No, not smart.

I'm not sticking up for this guy or anything he represents. However, no matter how you interpret his words, it does not state clear intent based on that alone. IMO of course.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Whether he intended to follow through or not, it still needed to be checked out.

They can not not check.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

The consensus seems to agree that this was moronic beyond doubt. Is that a criminal offense?

Just for a little perspective, there has been similar veiled threats based on political party as well...right here on ATS of all places. The Scalise shooting wasn't that long ago.

Should we start rounding folks up?

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

You're not seriously comparing this with being a dick online considering the timing?

No, but I'll send a bar of slippery soap

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

No, not smart.

I'm not sticking up for this guy or anything he represents. However, no matter how you interpret his words, it does not state clear intent based on that alone. IMO of course.

No more or less specific than Nikolas Cruz's 'threat' and LE and the FBI acted like they couldn't act on it....or even figure out that 'Nikolas Cruz' on youtube was 'Nikolas Cruz' IRL.

20+ kids arrested around the country in two days for the same thing...but Nikolas Cruz? Nope...what could they do to stop him or even question him????

Ug. Bugs me.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

...and free speech did nothing of the sort.

There are consequences to over stepping bounds, don't tell me he didn't, not just overstep, but clear those boundaries with feet to spare. We don't know what else gave them reason for concern.

Would I have pressed charges of terroristic threats? IDK. We don't have anything near enough facts to render any sort of judgement. That's for the jury to decide.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

CYA.

"See, we doin stuffs!"

Cruz stated his intent clearly. In defined terms.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Sensationalizing this does not change the fact you're mixing apples and orangutan's. I think you picked the wrong example this time.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join