It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The only real chance to cut back on gun violence. That no one wants to hear..

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 11:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: MissCoyote
And thats a fudge no on my part which also comes with 3 additional no's.

With a counter point that solid.. man I changed my mind completely!!!

Man, sarcasm needs a font...

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
a reply to: JinMI

However, how would you reduce the demand for firearms?

People would have signs on their front lawns

"Move along. Guns already stolen".

Wonderful, you're not armed! We don't even have to knock!! -The Thieves

What island do you live on?

Geezus.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 11:44 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Um... I specifically said keep all the ones presently in circulation, so their is no lowering of security..

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Without a gun every terrorist is required to pilull off some McGyver type plot..

Some won’t be smart enough . Others will fail..

It’s pretty hard to screw up pulling the trigger.. obviously since children with no combat training can kill dozens..

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Then what are you talking about....

You have no idea how these parents raised their kids.. some were probably great parents..

Maybe they just had a jacked up kid..

You only have a point if the vast majority come from bad homes and school shooters DONT..

They have crappy social lives usually.. no or only a couple friends.. no girlfriend..

The popular kid with a bad home doesn’t do this stuff..

The outcast kid with the normal home life does..

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

We wouldn’t get anything real from the Dems..

Literally no elected official in history has EVER proposed anything resembling a total ban...

It is political suicide and just a gop rape fantasy..

They like to feel tough by pretending they could take on the US military with their Chinese knock off AK..

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 11:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

Then what are you talking about....

You have no idea how these parents raised their kids.. some were probably great parents..

Maybe they just had a jacked up kid..

You only have a point if the vast majority come from bad homes and school shooters DONT..

They have crappy social lives usually.. no or only a couple friends.. no girlfriend..

The popular kid with a bad home doesn’t do this stuff..

The outcast kid with the normal home life does..

But guns are the problem...... gotcha.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Easy..

Because they demogoge some fictional universe where a ban and confiscation is just around the corner and if you don’t send them money the black SUV’s will be kicking in your door by Friday..

If you remove the “gun ban “ retoric from politics the gop doesn’t win another election..

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Bramble Iceshimmer

MSM?!?!

Um.. so the conspiracy/conservative/leftwing sites didn’t just decide to stop naming names this week?!!!

I actually agree with you but I am more inclusive lol..

Micheal Moore’s “gun documentar’s“ conclusion was that it isn’t guns..

It is that the media makes everyone think a rapey serial killer is around every corner..

When you have a break in. 90+% of the time it is the idiot kids from 3 doors down.. not someone who wants a murder charge..

It has ya shooting at shadows and we are safer than we have ever been..

That said!!!!

How many is enough?!?

3 per person???

4?!

10??!

20??

At what point does it get gratuitous and unsafe??

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

But it is not a total prohibition like drugs..

We still have 3 per person already.

A total prohibition doesn’t work at all and would lead to a revolt..

But what I am proposing only stops the truckloads of new ones being dumped on the street..

Gun stores still operate.. person to person sales are still legal..

They are just no longer toys to be haphazardly operated..

How do you drive/care for a collectible car vs. how do you drive an old beater??

You take care of the collectible.. you put it in the garage and get it’s oil changed like clockwork.

Imho a major part is the fact no one is giving the respect they deserve..

If everyone is an irreplaceable prized possession... all that shifts.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalShadow

If they are super easily available... yea..

If people treat them as toys that make them feel tough.. then yea..

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 12:29 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox
Do you think if we stopped making more cars, that it would cut back on automobile death?
Do you think if we stopped manufacturing alcohol, it would cut back on alcohol poisoning and deaths??
Do you think if we stopped manufacturing painkillers, that it would cut back on the number of deaths from overdose, which is higher than death by firearms?
Do you think if we cut back on manufacturing junk food, it would cut back on deaths from diet related illnesses??
Do you think if we stopped making knives tomorrow, it would cut back on the number of violence by blades??
If we stopped making poisonous household chemicals, would it cut back on the number of people who are poisoned by ingestion every year??
What if we cut back on flammable accelerants, would less people die by fires every year??

Anything removed from society would cut back on deaths by that thing. But people will still die regardless. Do you even know how many people are beaten to death with baseball bats in a given year? Bricks?

Yea if you removed all bats and bricks, there would be less deaths by bat and brick. But that same person who would have used a bat or brick, would likely go just as overboard with a metal chair, or a trash can, or a sign post, or a knife, or glass bottle, or a brass planter, or broken chair leg.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 12:45 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Asolutely..

A) Of course it would.. if cars all cost 109 grand. People do not speed anymore.. they don’t cut people off.. they don’t do anything that would risk jeopardizing their babies..

The same way classic car collectors treat their cars..

B) of course it would.. if people do t have access to processed food.. then they eat better by necessity...

C) of course it would.. less blades mean there are less to stick in someone..

None of this is hard math I have no idea how you thought that was a good argument..

Of course all those things lower the rates..

All weapons are not created equal..

That is why nukes are illegal and US soldiers don’t carry Mazda’s into battle..

Obviously..

Be honest with me please..

Does that really sound like solid logic to you, or do you just like guns so much you are being dishonest??

It’s such bad logic that is contradicted by every single other thing we regulate?!!

If it doesn’t matter then why not nukes for everyone???

They would just use something else?!?

Right??

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Anyone can go to their local hardware store and buy all the supplies necessary to make a gun.
I won't tell you how here. The information is easily available.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Nope . . .wouldn't work and it would make the world an even more dangerous place. You Know the saying from the movie, I have to teach you to use this (The Mind) before you learn to use this The sword) . . . . .The kid who did the shooting demonstrates he received no such teachings.
Have to change the heart to prevent such acts , which of course we did in the 70's 80's and 90's and it did have results . . . Extreme violence in youth and adults. But the youth have less life experience to have formed restraint, control and prudent thinking. Thus even some violent adults do not lash out because they have a sense of consequence, unless radically predisposed.
The values of the old days had better results, not perfect, but better.....However the world wants to kick religion rather then support it. Call it a mental disease rather then visualize the benefits of teaching peace.
Oh look, Christians were bad during the crusades and the Spanish inquisition, or look at the evil of the Catholic church, all of that thinking is an excuse. . . . .Sorry but that is not what Christianity is about. Its about following and emulating the life of Christ the best we can. Even the bad guys during my youth had respect for that, and thats why we didn't have school shootings. Yet even in the better times of those days you can find a story or two of some real bad stuff . . . .but most of that was born out of greed.
Fact is, Families and faith, is the only true resolution to the problem. I say we support all such faiths who teach peace and brotherly love and stop giving audience to the critics.
A gun is just a piece of metal which controls a chemical reaction and throws a lead rock. If not a gun, then someone would use a different tool to kill if they are that lost in mind and heart. So yes arm the schools till we can sooth the hearts, jail the dangerous, that is if society can see that many of those who talk smart, are not smart at all. Those who say kill the guns, can't see what is really wrong. Change the hearts, feed the poor, heal the sick, visit the lonely.
Trust me, I will love the world where we beat the weapons into plow shares and learn war no more.
Sorry for my poor writing style, thanks for your ideas.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 01:25 AM
link   
I was pointing out how asinine of an argument it is to believe that killing or violence overall would drop just because one tool became scarce. People still die by violence in Australia and the UK and Mexico and many other countries where guns are heavily restricted. Everybody cannot be saved. Overall death rate between USA, UK, and Australia are quite close. Guns are on the lower end of the top 10.

Seeing as more people die from pain killer overdoes in the USA, perhaps your first crusade should be to end production of those. Maybe the age to have a drivers license should be raised to 18 as well? What am I saying, I have no doubt you support such an idea.

The more guns people own the better. It is my honest belief that a person should have every right to own 758 firearms if they wish, all semi-auto with 30+ round detachable magazines.

Mini-nukes sound fun. Would make clearing the land for new home construction easier. Then just scrape off four inches of top soil and we are good to go.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 01:48 AM
link   

But, no, you want to blame the tools, not the people.

But if people don't have access to the tools they can't very well use them, now can they?

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 01:55 AM
link   

So you're just going to ban them by making them too expensive...I see. You're just so sneaky!!

You actually think this plan of yours is somehow original?

Where there is a market, there is a will, with the way not far behind. Remember how well prohibition worked? Organized crime filled the gap rather well. What do you suppose will happen if your nonsensical plan were to come to fruition?

How about instead of plans that are doomed to failure, we try to teach kids how to deal with their issues before violence becomes the "solution".

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 01:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
a reply to: Bramble Iceshimmer

MSM?!?!

Um.. so the conspiracy/conservative/leftwing sites didn’t just decide to stop naming names this week?!!!

I actually agree with you but I am more inclusive lol..

Micheal Moore’s “gun documentar’s“ conclusion was that it isn’t guns..

It is that the media makes everyone think a rapey serial killer is around every corner..

When you have a break in. 90+% of the time it is the idiot kids from 3 doors down.. not someone who wants a murder charge..

It has ya shooting at shadows and we are safer than we have ever been..

That said!!!!

How many is enough?!?

3 per person???

4?!

10??!

20??

At what point does it get gratuitous and unsafe??

Average is 3 according to studies. 8 percent of gun owners own 10 or more.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 02:02 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I don't think it's a bad idea to get rid of cheap guns. You shouldn't be able to spend 150.00 and buy a gun. This quality will be used for nothing but trouble. You can't practically hunt or target practice with a cheap firearm.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join