It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The only real chance to cut back on gun violence. That no one wants to hear..

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 08:30 PM
link   
First off I would like to say this has zero chance of happening , but it is the only thing that would actually help significantly AND not cause a civil war...

I think this would address all the realistic issues such as “if the good owners turn them in, Only the bad guys have them.”

That is to stop making more guns...

Stop adding to the pile..

I think if we stopping making more, but grandfathered in all the previously existing firearms. Also Leave all the ones in circulation perfectly legal trade or sell. I think It would change the dynamic completely.

Presently, we have so many in circulation, people veiw them as toys and status symbols..but the wrong kind of status symbols.

We need to change that..a gun is a tool. A tool you have to treat with the utmost respect.

If we stopped selling new guns they go from being toys, to being collectibles, family heirlooms and prized possessions..

Like any other sought after collectible Their value would inherently start to rise....

Guns would become more valuable and as their value rose, how available they are to the criminal element would decrease..

If the gun by itself is worth more than the likely cash whatever gas station has. Then the robber sells the gun..

Most criminals don’t have the long term planning required to keep the gun, when they could sell it for a really good price.

As the next generations come of age they are forced to try and buy them from other people who veiw them as collectibles or have them handed down in their family lines..

It would still take centuries to weed them out of the population.. if that even worked.. due to 3D printing and such..

But I think period if you have 2-3 guns per person.. of course your gonna have too many shooting deaths...

But how do you lower that number, and not LITERALLY cause a violent revolt??!?!?

This is all I can think of that is not only lip service , but also doesn’t really change society short term at all..

+18 more 
posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Oh ... and here I thought you were going to talk about how our families were degrading and broken and that made people who were degraded and broken which leads them to doing degraded and broken things.

But, no, you want to blame the tools, not the people.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

I will give you this. What you propose wouldn't edge into any constitutional rights. It wouldn't harm anyone.

However, how would you reduce the demand for firearms?

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 08:38 PM
link   
They already flow across the border unregistered made in mexico.

Black market anywhereville will supply the demand.

You would probabl get better results by sending the national guard to Chicago and LA and disarming gangs.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 08:41 PM
link   

How about the death penalty for anyone using a gun while committing a felony?
And maybe address the problem of the mentally ill in this country.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 08:42 PM
link   
No GD.

I am sick of this crap.

99.99% of us don't do jack snip to anyone.

There are already laws on the books.

For over 75 years worth.

The National Firearms Act.

The Gun Control Act.

The Firearms Owner Protection Act.

The Gun Free Zone Act.

The Brady Handgun Prevention Act.

Jeb Bush's 10-20-Life law.

And there are 10 laws in the Bill of Rights the usual suspects don't give a rats arse bout.

They sure don't give a rats rear end out the 14th amendment either.

People need to get the hell off it.

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Your entire argument is about to fall apart... Ready?

Criminals can just continue making the fully-functional assault rifles themselves. There are cartels in Mexico that literally manufacture their own assault rifles. Guess what happens when you make something illegal? Criminals make more money selling it.
You can't get rid of guns for the exact same reason you can't get rid of drugs. No matter how illegal you make it, people will still be making, selling and buying. Making guns illegal does not make guns go away, it just takes them away from law-abiding people who could otherwise defend themselves and their families or peers.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

inanimate objects are the devil
inanimate objects need to be banned
inanimate objects are worse than actual actions

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Nice theory but no thanks. There are other things we need to halt the production of...like illegal aliens.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 08:50 PM
link   
There are more guns than people in the USA, it might be easier to just accept that the consequence of freedom and the right to bear arms is that occasionally the random lunatic might use guns to kill just because they can, and even if some laws lead to confiscation or buyback programs and in time it dramatically reduces gun numbers successfully it isn't likely going to stop guns from being used in crimes or random shootings.

The same lunatic that might have difficulty obtaining guns might choose instead to drive a vehicle into a crowd, or build a large improvised explosive device or bomb from items legally purchased, to detonate in a crowd.

The idea that gun control is the answer to mass killing in this country is foolish, but good luck with it nonetheless.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
Nice theory but no thanks. There are other things we need to halt the production of...like illegal aliens.

They can commit gun violence and get away with it.

See the Peoples Republic of California.

link   
And thats a fudge no on my part which also comes with 3 additional no's.

link   
a reply to: trollz

Wait a minute,
So legalizing pot would lower the price and reduce drug crime?
We have a winner!

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Wait a minute,
We have a winner!

Just means mass shooters will have it easier because they won't be scrambling for their lives.

Everyone will be half baked.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

All the columbine kids came from upper class nuclear homes..

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Kids kill their parents when the home life is bad...

Kids shoot up schools when their social lives are bad...

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 08:59 PM
link   

OMG... You took my post-Las Vegas thread and massaged it a bit.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Wait a minute,
We have a winner!

Just means mass shooters will have it easier because they won't be scrambling for their lives.

Everyone will be half baked.

Or the mass shooters will use it instead of the industrial poison the doctor dish out.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

All the columbine kids came from upper class nuclear homes..

Wealth doesn't make a family good. Simply having two parents in the home doesn't do that either.

You need two parents who are loving and involved and who are parents, not friends.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Gosh, it's almost like you replied to yourself.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join