It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Against gun control

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: DBCowboy

I’m really not being sarcastic. I’d be thrilled if you guys agreed that some social engineering in schools can be a good thing.

Sorry, but I'd have to disagree, social engineering is basically forcing people to be something that they're not, which in my opinion can never end well.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Flatcoat

The change in the student wouldn't be forced.
They would have to go to that class and listen and be taught but there would be no pass or fail.
It would be up to the student what they did with the knowledge after they left.

Like hygiene class.
Or physical education.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

They would have to go to that class and listen and be taught but there would be no pass or fail. It would be up to the student what they did with the knowledge after they left.

Doesn't that seem like a fail already?
We have sex ed classes and people still can't seem to figure out what happens when you put THIS into THAT.
If people can't even learn sex ed...your argument seems flawed.

How many unwanted children are born even after they go to sex ed classes??

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

The change in the student wouldn't be forced.
They would have to go to that class and listen and be taught but there would be no pass or fail.
It would be up to the student what they did with the knowledge after they left.

Like hygiene class.
Or physical education.

That's fine as long as there is choice. I'm talking about banning boys from playing with certain toys, or feeding them drugs if they're too energetic.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flatcoat

I’m really not being sarcastic. I’d be thrilled if you guys agreed that some social engineering in schools can be a good thing.

Sorry, but I'd have to disagree, social engineering is basically forcing people to be something that they're not, which in my opinion can never end well.

They can call it whatever they want.

But if we can teach our children to problem-solve, teach our kids coping skills, it'd be a plus.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

If people can't even learn sex ed...your argument seems flawed. How many unwanted children are born even after they go to sex ed classes??

My sex ed class taught me and my friends a lot. No unwanted babies here.
Can you give evidence that sex ed class NEVER works?

link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: Flatcoat

They can call it whatever they want.

But if we can teach our children to problem-solve, teach our kids coping skills, it'd be a plus.

Exactly. Education should be teaching children how to learn, not what to learn.

link   

If we could learn how to teach people,that'd be even better.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun

If we could learn how to teach people,that'd be even better.

It's like writing in cursive.

Some still know how.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 07:31 PM
link   

I'm talking about banning boys from playing with certain toys, or feeding them drugs if they're too energetic.

I am on your side fully about this type of forced social engineering.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 07:39 PM
link   
IMO, guns are here to stay.
So if guns are the problem then we need more guns.
Arm everyone.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 07:48 PM
link   

That's just a right wing talking point. Social engineering is "teaching" people how to get along in society. It can include valuing human life, treating people who are different from you with respect, as long as they aren't hurting anyone, and better ways to deal with adversity.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 07:51 PM
link   

That's just a right wing talking point. Social engineering is "teaching" people how to get along in society. It can include valuing human life, treating people who are different from you with respect, as long as they aren't hurting anyone, and better ways to deal with adversity.

Quoted because I agree.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

I’ve always heard

I heard my brothers girlfriend's son's cousin's friend had a toothache...i was crushed!!

from the non-liberal groups

So you are a part of that "other" group.
I don't even know what a liberal is...I don't speak fool.

I’m all for social engineering in schools. Teach kids how to treat themselves and each other.

LOL
How did sex ed work out??
Dumb people are still breeding and the offended are still trying to make laws to allow it while acting like they're not offended.

That's just a right wing talking point.

Seriously...stop.
Some people are normal and don't want to speak "fool"

Social engineering is "teaching" people how to

I wouldn't trust you to "socially engineer" my dog.

edit on 20-2-2018 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 08:00 PM
link   

For a start, I am far from "right wing". I believe in individual freedom and just letting people be people. If you put a group of children of different races in a room together they'll get along just fine. It's when you start telling one that they're "privileged" and another that they're "oppressed" that they start having problems.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
I've mentioned this in numerous threads, have been encouraged by some to keeping the message going.

A workable solution to the gun violence is not banning guns.

A workable solution is to teach people not to shoot.

It's to teach people better ways to cope with stresses.

It's to teach people better ways to deal with bullies, societal pressures, family issues, and life in general.

Right now, at this very moment, the next school shooter is sitting somewhere. He is angry. His outlook is hopeless. He doesn't know of any alternative to the violence he feels is the appropriate solution.

We need to reach out to him right now. We can't identify who he is. We don't know what state/city/school he is in.

So we have to reach out to everyone. We have to teach everyone. We have to embrace everyone and tell them that there are better ways to deal with the problems being faced.

That's what we need to do in our schools.

Taking away guns just takes away the tool. It does nothing to relieve the desire to commit violence.

We, the "gun nuts", the "bullet bois", don't want the violence to continue any more than the gun grabbers do.

We are looking at solving the problem and not the symptom.

Just because we want to keep our guns does not make us haters, or violent nutjobs.

If someone has a better, more permanent solution, then bring it!

Banning bump stocks won't solve it.
Raising the age to buy guns won't solve it.
And banning guns is just plain stupid.

But I'm always willing to hear a better, smarter solution.

Completely agree.

Take away the guns and what do you have?

A person bent on violence by any other means besides guns....

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 08:08 PM
link   

So much unnecessary hate.. Sad!

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

I think your heart is in the right place, but I don't want the schools or anyone else telling my kids what is acceptable and "right". I think the village should mind its own business and let the parents do the parenting. And I also think the parents should be held accountable when they fail.

I said in my thread on this subject that this problem will be solved one child at a time, at home by the parents. But that won't happen until parents are allowed to be parents again. And that means discipline when necessary. In my eyes one of the most glaring changes in parenting is the idea that every child is a winner just for participating and all the entitlement garbage that goes along with that viewpoint. All that "We don't believe in spanking, he is just expressing himself" crap. You know what? The real world is a tough place. People are mean. Work sucks. Life isn't always fair. You don't get a participation trophy along with a paycheck at the end of the week just for showing up. You can't get in someone's face and scream like an idiot without getting your teeth knocked out. Your good intentions are not going to pay your bills at the end of the month. If you haven't been taught how to deal with these realities as a child you are going to be one seriously screwed up adult - if you make it that far.

You can be all for expression and all that as long as you stress the concept of consequences too. Yes, you have the right to tell that big guy with the skull tattoo that he looks like an idiot. And you also have the right to pick yourself up when you regain consciousness and hope he isn't there waiting to knock your dumb a$$ out again.

edit: not your dumb a$$...the proverbial dumb a$$...
edit on 20-2-2018 by Vroomfondel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 08:12 PM
link   

You are a perfect example of why this needs to be taught.
We were all having a respectful conversation .
But you , not knowing how to deal with how our conversation made you feel, decided to attack instead of talk.

Your free to do that. We just think that others should be taught that there is a different way.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 08:31 PM
link   

It can definitely include all of these things. Unfortunately social engineering includes a lot more. It is mass social media that is controlling social engineering at this point which is actually quite scary. Kids to young adults at this point are getting more influence from social media than they are from education in schools....And oddly they are taking it at face value without any ability to discern bias.

I sometimes wonder if Ted Kaczynski actually was a genius ahead of his time...tech is great in certain realms, but in the social realm it is destroying individuality and unity at the same time. We are seeing the result of social media and mob mentality combined. While Ted was obviously misdirected, his philosophy on where tech was leading us was as impactful as Orwell with 1984.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join