It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA's James Webb Space Telescope to Reveal Secrets of the Red Planet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   
The plan is to use the James Webb telescope to take a closer look at Mars to determine how much water remains on the planet and look for underground aquifers that could be home to life and account for the seasonal methane spikes that have been measured in the atmosphere , a team of scientists who worked on the telescope and will receive guaranteed observation time in a scheme set up be NASA and will use their time to try and answer one of the Solar System's biggest questions.

"Webb will return extremely interesting measurements of chemistry in the Martian atmosphere," noted Hammel. "And most importantly, these Mars data will be immediately available to the planetary community to enable them to plan even more detailed Mars observations with Webb in future cycles." "We are all looking forward to Webb's observations of Mars. I just know they will be fantastic, with the potential for immediate scientific discoveries," said Jim Green, director of NASA's Planetary Science Division, NASA Headquarters, Washington, D.C.

"With Webb, we can obtain a real and accurate measurement of the ratio of H2O to HDO across Mars, permitting us to determine how much water was truly lost. We also can determine how water is exchanged between polar ice, the atmosphere, and the soil," said Villanueva.

Although most of the water on Mars is locked up in ice, the possibility remains that some liquid water could exist in underground aquifers. These potential reservoirs could even host life. This intriguing idea received a boost in 2003, when astronomers detected methane in the Martian atmosphere. Methane could be generated by bacteria, although it could also come from geological processes. Data from Webb could provide new clues to the origin of these methane plumes.
webbtelescope.org...

Fingers firmly crossed for a successful launch and deployment early next year , Webb could be a game changer.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Cool find! Thank you. When is this going to happen? When is the information going to be available?

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I can't wait to watch them put it together up there.
Also thanks for something to read other than politics.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   

I can't wait either to see whats-- wait a sec, MARS??!

I really hope they don't spend a lot of time looking so close , the Webb should be looking as far as it can, first thing.

I want a Webb Deep Field!

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Do we finally get to see what color it really is?

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
Do we finally get to see what color it really is?

You already can. There are these cool things called "eyes"...

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

No need for Webb for that. Look for yourself. But you just have to wake up early.
Mars is rising at about 2 in the morning.

Hint: it's red.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
No need for Webb for that. Look for yourself. But you just have to wake up early.
Mars is rising at about 2 in the morning.

Hint: it's red.

I'll take your word for it.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I really hope they don't spend a lot of time looking so close , the Webb should be looking as far as it can, first thing.

It will be doing that , this team has been granted observation time on the telescope for what is an important project it won't detract from other projects earmarked for JWST.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 07:01 PM
link   

No need for Webb for that. Look for yourself. But you just have to wake up early. Mars is rising at about 2 in the morning. Hint: it's red.

And the landscapes of Earth are pale blue...
edit on 21-2-2018 by LookingAtMars because: TEXT

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Once its launched, survives and works. I hear theres a slight delay.

I also want to see the first image of whats at the center of our Galaxy, the center of Quasars, proto stars.
But first and foremost, Ever Deeper Field.

new topics

join