It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does the US do to help combat the GUN problem?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: RP2SticksOfDynamite

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Would introducing a Gun policy whereby folks can keep their guns if they take out obligatory insurance to hold and use a gun. Would this help tighten up the access to guns and help prevent those unsuitable for gun ownership from getting and holding a gun legally without an insurance policy in place. Insurance companies would apply there own due diligence and checks before granting an insurance policy to those who wish to keep or acquire guns. Thus making it impossible get a gun license without insurance and unable to buy and keep a gun without both.

Would it help prevent unsuitable individuals legally acquiring and owning guns and would that reduce the risk level in terms of the crazy shooter attacks on innocent children and teachers etc?

Would it also provide funds to victims families should there be an attack on their family members?

Just an idea. SHOOT me down if you think its a bad idea!

This would mean anyone living in high crime areas would be less able to defend themselves, as affording insurance would put them in the "i've got a bat and im not afraid to use it" category.

I wonder how cats would feel if we taxed their claws?
This is just head in the sand that gets nobody anywhere! Without compromise there will be no improvement or solution! And the problem is getting worse. I guess people are so selfish that they won't change their mindset until they lose a child to such an attack. Now that is stupid! poor children!

Here's your compromise: enforce the laws that we already have.

Unless you propose we pass more laws that are ignored while the next school shooter ramps up. What was it this last time...3 failures (4 if you count that the FBI blew it twice) that could have prevented the most recent shooting. If you want compromise, hold the people who failed at their jobs accountable for that failure.

ETA: the problem is not getting worse. The murder rate has never been so low in the US.

ETA2: im curious....why do the rights of the most poor and downtrodden in the US not matter to you here? SHould only the affluant be able to defend themselves, while living in their low crime areas? On a side note: felons are pre-empted from owning guns as a way to keep black men disarmed. They should have looked at your tax strategy instead...looks to be much more effective than imprisoning everyone.
edit on 2/20/2018 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

The # in place has to work because if you are enforcing # that don't work then the problem will always exist.

People saying but they have to go through a background check is not good enough cause those checks can and do fail.
That is a problem. Part of a big one

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   
But there is. No guns. No dead kids from unstable nut jobs that easily get access! The "Its a people problem" is a selfish cop out. people with problems cant kill so many so quickly without access to such lethal weapons! If the perpetrator of the last school attack had only a knife how many would have died before he was stopped. At a guess possible zero if the teachers were physically able!

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Would introducing a Gun policy whereby folks can keep their guns if they take out obligatory insurance to hold and use a gun. Would this help tighten up the access to guns and help prevent those unsuitable for gun ownership from getting and holding a gun legally without an insurance policy in place. Insurance companies would apply there own due diligence and checks before granting an insurance policy to those who wish to keep or acquire guns. Thus making it impossible get a gun license without insurance and unable to buy and keep a gun without both.

Would it help prevent unsuitable individuals legally acquiring and owning guns and would that reduce the risk level in terms of the crazy shooter attacks on innocent children and teachers etc?

Would it also provide funds to victims families should there be an attack on their family members?

Just an idea. SHOOT me down if you think its a bad idea!

This would mean anyone living in high crime areas would be less able to defend themselves, as affording insurance would put them in the "i've got a bat and im not afraid to use it" category.

I wonder how cats would feel if we taxed their claws?
This is just head in the sand that gets nobody anywhere! Without compromise there will be no improvement or solution! And the problem is getting worse. I guess people are so selfish that they won't change their mindset until they lose a child to such an attack. Now that is stupid! poor children!

Here's your compromise: enforce the laws that we already have.

Unless you propose we pass more laws that are ignored while the next school shooter ramps up. What was it this last time...3 failures (4 if you count that the FBI blew it twice) that could have prevented the most recent shooting. If you want compromise, hold the people who failed at their jobs accountable for that failure.

ETA: the problem is not getting worse. The murder rate has never been so low in the US.

ETA2: im curious....why do the rights of the most poor and downtrodden in the US not matter to you here? SHould only the affluant be able to defend themselves, while living in their low crime areas? On a side note: felons are pre-empted from owning guns as a way to keep black men disarmed. They should have looked at your tax strategy instead...looks to be much more effective than imprisoning everyone.
Of school children!

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: RP2SticksOfDynamite

It is a people problem. It is also an availability problem. It is also a the system is broken problem. Lots of factors.

People see that a law is on books for a records check so they think all is well.
Not so

link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

The # in place has to work because if you are enforcing # that don't work then the problem will always exist.

People saying but they have to go through a background check is not good enough cause those checks can and do fail.
That is a problem. Part of a big one

Everything can fail. But before I give up a single more right, i demand that the compromise already made actually be used.

Thats the problem: no one wants to prosecute the FBI for their failure. No one wants to prosecute the school administrators for their failure. No one wants to prosecute the social services employees who placed this kid in a home and saw the cops get called 36 freaking times and failed to take any action for their failure.

But im supposed to give up more of the rights i've already had diminished? Nonsense.

link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
There is no GUN problem.

Keep burying your heads in the sand.....

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   

I don't disagree.
My point was just cause there is a system dont mean it works.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   

You mean the same group of idiots that just went through a viral "im gonna eat some tide pods" issue?

Our children have loads of issues. You aren't going to solve issues with our children by levying more laws against adults.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   

What gun problem? We don't have a gun problem anymore than we have car problem. At most we have a few folks with a screw or two loose out there that have lowered coping skills. They may be a cross word in person or online from flipping out.

You see one car problem with the road rage silliness caught on camera, "you disrespect me and my truck", fight on.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   
The very fact that I have so far only received a single star for my thread clearly highlights the gun mentality problem!

Denial is has obviously become viral. Shame on you who wish to put the whole blame on people when government policy and inaction plus easy access to guns is the problem. BANG BANG!

The mindset needs a reset!!!!!

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bramble Iceshimmer

What gun problem? We don't have a gun problem anymore than we have car problem.

Another one in denial.....

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   

The very fact that I have so far only received a single star for my thread clearly highlights the gun mentality problem!

Denial is has obviously become viral. Shame on you who wish to put the whole blame on people when government policy and inaction plus easy access to guns is the problem. BANG BANG!

You had a terrible idea that, when you boil it down, is racist due to the adverse impact it would create against minority. You want some attaboys for this?

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Your attitude wil change if anyone ever tries to murder you.

I've been there and you will wish you had 2.

A wackjob will just throw a moltov cocktail into the crowd.

We need more wackjob control.

edit on 2 by Mandroid7 because: sp

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Clinton and congress could have made their assault weapons ban permanent.

Ask yourselves why they didn't.

Is it really bout preventing victims?

Laws don't work like that.

They only punish after the fact, and only rarely( Holmes/Cruz,etc) does it ever go to trial, and making it tougher on those people that actually do obey the law.

Funny since our entire justice system was supposedely predicated on the presumption of innocence.

Gun control has deemed us ALL guilty until proven innocent.
edit on 20-2-2018 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

link   

Maybe the reason your thread had only received one stat is because it's the same as the last 10 threads on gun control.

link   

You mean the same group of idiots that just went through a viral "im gonna eat some tide pods" issue?

Our children have loads of issues. You aren't going to solve issues with our children by levying more laws against adults.
Not all nut jobs that get guns and do what they do are adults in the true sense of the word! Blind ignorance and denial will not help improve the situation. I legally own a gun and securely make sure it can never be abused but I know others that I would rather didn't have a gun. The problem is massive and access is a joke!

link   

You had a terrible idea that, when you boil it down, is racist due to the adverse impact it would create against minority. You want some attaboys for this?

The race card? Really?

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Maybe the reason your thread had only received one stat is because it's the same as the last 10 threads on gun control.

But it isn't is it. Only the mentality of the BANG BANG mob!

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7

Your attitude wil change if anyone ever tries to murder you.

I've been there and you will wish you had 2.

A wackjob will just throw a moltov cocktail into the crowd.

We need more wackjob control.

Well I have a few surprises for you on that one. Three times in my life someone has taken steps that could have murdered me but unfortunately for them they weren't successful. Having a gun doesn't protect you from being murdered! I was once shot at from behind!

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join