It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does the US do to help combat the GUN problem?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Would introducing a Gun policy whereby folks can keep their guns if they take out obligatory insurance to hold and use a gun. Would this help tighten up the access to guns and help prevent those unsuitable for gun ownership from getting and holding a gun legally without an insurance policy in place. Insurance companies would apply there own due diligence and checks before granting an insurance policy to those who wish to keep or acquire guns. Thus making it impossible get a gun license without insurance and unable to buy and keep a gun without both.

Would it help prevent unsuitable individuals legally acquiring and owning guns and would that reduce the risk level in terms of the crazy shooter attacks on innocent children and teachers etc?

Would it also provide funds to victims families should there be an attack on their family members?

Just an idea. SHOOT me down if you think its a bad idea!

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: RP2SticksOfDynamite

Would introducing a Gun policy whereby folks can keep their guns if they take out obligatory insurance to hold and use a gun.

This is akin to a poll tax, it would only impact poorer citizens who might not be able to afford insurance to exercise a Constitutional right.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: RP2SticksOfDynamite

I do not think that would help. Generally the same people who don't want to be forced into paying for health insurance are the same ones that promote the most liberal interpretation of the 2nd amendment. I think there is zero chance such mandatory insurance could ever get through Congress, nor should it.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Would introducing a Gun policy whereby folks can keep their guns if they take out obligatory insurance to hold and use a gun.

This is akin to a poll tax, it would only impact poorer citizens who might not be able to afford insurance to exercise a Constitutional right.
Subsidies could be arrange in cases that merit such could they not. Surely, the benefits would outweigh the subsidy costs.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Subsidies could be arrange in cases that merit such could they not. Surely, the benefits would outweigh the subsidy costs.

You want to subsidize firearms purchases? That will go over like a lead balloon.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: sligtlyskeptical

I do not think that would help. Generally the same people who don't want to be forced into paying for health insurance are the same ones that promote the most liberal interpretation of the 2nd amendment. I think there is zero chance such mandatory insurance could ever get through Congress, nor should it.

Then it will be a case of more of the same which surely cannot continue to be acceptable. It seems to me that there is a price to pay for all things good and if such a policy had a positive impact then its worthwhile.
edit on 20-2-2018 by RP2SticksOfDynamite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Create over 75 years of gun control laws 'crazy' people don't obey.

But whose counting anyway?

Ammiright?

There is no gun problem.

People pick them up.

People aim them.

People pull the trigger.

People break a myriad of laws.

When will people stop blaming objects for the actions of a person that is in already violation of existing LAWS?

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Sure thing.

When you support creating insurance for speech and voting.

We don't have inalienable rights after all.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Would introducing a Gun policy whereby folks can keep their guns if they take out obligatory insurance to hold and use a gun. Would this help tighten up the access to guns and help prevent those unsuitable for gun ownership from getting and holding a gun legally without an insurance policy in place. Insurance companies would apply there own due diligence and checks before granting an insurance policy to those who wish to keep or acquire guns. Thus making it impossible get a gun license without insurance and unable to buy and keep a gun without both.

Would it help prevent unsuitable individuals legally acquiring and owning guns and would that reduce the risk level in terms of the crazy shooter attacks on innocent children and teachers etc?

Would it also provide funds to victims families should there be an attack on their family members?

This would mean anyone living in high crime areas would be less able to defend themselves, as affording insurance would put them in the "i've got a bat and im not afraid to use it" category.

I wonder how cats would feel if we taxed their claws?

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Create over 75 years of gun control laws 'crazy' people don't obey.

But whose counting anyway?

Ammiright?

There is no gun problem.

People pick them up.

People aim them.

People pull the trigger.

People break a myriad of laws.

When will people stop blaming objects for the actions of a person that is in already violation of existing LAWS?
Yes there is!! The problem is that its claimed to be a people problem yet they are allowed easy access to guns without some form of vetting!

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Start with gang control and rappers paid millions to be the fostor parents.

link   

First, restrict gun sales. More kids are murdered every week than are killed in any mass-shooting.

Next, get to work on the mental health angle. Those who want to kill, will find a way. (Trucks, Bombs, etc.)

link   
how about enforcing laws already on the books rather than adding more .

also how about instead of focusing on russia the f.b.i investigate the individuals reported to them as possible terrorists / shooters . erm nevermind that would require them to actually do some real work for a change .

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

This would mean anyone living in high crime areas would be less able to defend themselves, as affording insurance would put them in the "i've got a bat and im not afraid to use it" category.

I wonder how cats would feel if we taxed their claws?
This is just head in the sand that gets nobody anywhere! Without compromise there will be no improvement or solution! And the problem is getting worse. I guess people are so selfish that they won't change their mindset until they lose a child to such an attack. Now that is stupid! poor children!

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Anything to do with discussion over guns on ATS tends to get people hot under the collar.

I am not American and come from a country where we only have 1.5 million guns in circulation, no gun culture and a low homicide rate, so what do I know?

What I do know is my brother lives in the States and his American wife and hates guns, so this means not all Americans are slavish followers of being armed to the teeth and other stereotypes. In fact 50% of Americans don't have guns. Also, I think it's recognised that most gun crime happens in certain "hot spots", and that most parts of America where guns are quite common, are also pretty peaceful, such as where my brother lives.

While opinion surveys can be wrong, this Gallup poll has longitudinal significance. I think little things like this at least provide the baseline for discussion.

Gallup

Have I added anything to this discussion? Probably not, but I feel better!
edit on 20/2/2018 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
Start with gang control and rappers paid millions to be the fostor parents.

In the cities, arrest and send the Gang-leaders to Gitmo. The police know who they are. When someone takes that leader's place, send him to Gitmo too. Eventually, they'll get the message. Many many kids are killed by gangs every week. Florida shooting is minor, by comparison.

link   
The problem is in the subject of the OP. There is no GUN problem. Guns were just as plentiful pre 1990's and idiots weren't shooting up schools and concerts.

link   

The best thing the US can do to combat gun problem is to understand its roots. The man that wrote this book is the same man that predicted 911 and the blaming of bin laden. Was dead within a week of making the claims.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Yes there is!! The problem is that its claimed to be a people problem yet they are allowed easy access to guns without some form of vetting!

Read existing laws.

Start with the National Firearms Act of 1934, The Control Act of 1968, Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986, The Gun Free Zone of 1990, The Brady Handgun Prevention Act of 1993.

Then Read the Bill of Rights.

2nd,4th,5th,7th,8th,9th,10th,and end on the 14th amendment.

Pay particular attention to the part that says No State shall make or enforce any law that.

According to the highest law in this country that GD piece of paper.

One does not need to ask permission to practice an inalienable right.

For effs sake.

It's easier to get an abortion than for a gun owner to buy a gun.

That was set in stone over 200 years ago.
edit on 20-2-2018 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: VengefulGhost

Making sure the # works would be a good start.
I know for a fact it does not always work and that's a problem.
I know a guy who bought a new pistol. Passed the check and walked out with one even though his record was supposed to prevent that happening.
Now how often do people slip through? I'm interested in that number

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join