It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First it is rifles and next it will be handguns....

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   
So, in the wake of the latest shooting we have children activists who are already in DC. We have none of the blame on the agencies who dropped the ball. All of the blame is being put on President Trump for allowing it to happen. The media is full on partial truths and flat out lies.

However, the AR-15 according to the anti-gun lobby is the cause of ALL of the terror. If they were banned there would be no more school shootings. This was actually said by a LA reporter and has been parroted in the MSM. Folks, 2 of the largest mass shootings in the US did not use an AR. One of the largest private attacks on a US military base did not use an AR. I looked at the 20 deadliest mass shootings since 1950. This is what I found.

Virginia Tech Shooting - 32 with a pair of Glocks
Pulse Shooting - 50 Sig MCX and a handgun
Ft Hood - 13 with a FN handgun
Washington Navy Yard - 12 with a handgun and a shotgun
Umpqua Community College 9 with a handgun

Lets go back a few decades since the AR had been around for about 50 years....

Luby's - 1991 - 24 with a handgun
Camden shootings - 1949 13 with a handgun
Edmon Postal Office - 1986 - 14 with a handgun

Mass shootings have tripled since 2011. 9 of the 20 above used handguns and in 6 of them multiple weapons were used.

So, when they tell you it is an AR problem it is the first step to take away all of them because if they can stop the sale of something that was not used as much...what will stop them from moving forward for all of them?

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
So, in the wake of the latest shooting we have children activists who are already in DC. We have none of the blame on the agencies who dropped the ball. All of the blame is being put on President Trump for allowing it to happen. The media is full on partial truths and flat out lies.

However, the AR-15 according to the anti-gun lobby is the cause of ALL of the terror. If they were banned there would be no more school shootings. This was actually said by a LA reporter and has been parroted in the MSM. Folks, 2 of the largest mass shootings in the US did not use an AR. One of the largest private attacks on a US military base did not use an AR. I looked at the 20 deadliest mass shootings since 1950. This is what I found.

Virginia Tech Shooting - 32 with a pair of Glocks
Pulse Shooting - 50 Sig MCX and a handgun
Ft Hood - 13 with a FN handgun
Washington Navy Yard - 12 with a handgun and a shotgun
Umpqua Community College 9 with a handgun

Lets go back a few decades since the AR had been around for about 50 years....

Luby's - 1991 - 24 with a handgun
Camden shootings - 1949 13 with a handgun
Edmon Postal Office - 1986 - 14 with a handgun

Mass shootings have tripled since 2011. 9 of the 20 above used handguns and in 6 of them multiple weapons were used.

So, when they tell you it is an AR problem it is the first step to take away all of them because if they can stop the sale of something that was not used as much...what will stop them from moving forward for all of them?

Facts have no place in an emotionally charged subject...

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Bullets have no place in innocent children

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   
It's the most popular gun.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   

I know but emotion has no place in making laws....

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

Excellent points. Im made to wonder how an orphaned 19 year old could even afford the weapons he had, much less ammo.

Id rather they scrutinize pharmaceutical anti anxiety, depression and psychotic meds...but why look for a root cause to this cultural decline, when we can demonize guns?

I find it odd that in order to send aid to other nations to fight tyranny, we send them weapons...yet here where tyranny is growing...we want to take the peoples chance to fight it away.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Did that Virginia Tech shooter use a handgun to shoot 32 people? Just heard it on the radio.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

the op, mentions he used 2 Glocks, thats what I recall as well.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7

Only about 5% of the gun homicides are committed by a rifle of ANY KIND - shotguns, ARs, bolt action. The rest are done with handguns. The fact that gun grabbers zero in on ARs shows they are not interested in a factual discussion.

The reality is that gun grabbers go after ARs because they look scary. An AR is to an automatic military rifle, like a sports car is to a race car. Spoilers, lowered suspension, stickers, and a fart can exhaust does not make a typical car into a professional race car. It is the same thing with ARs. The mimic the look of military style rifles... partly because that is what people want and secondly, it is an effective general purpose design as far as firearms are concerned.

link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7

Only about 5% of the gun homicides are committed by a rifle of ANY KIND - shotguns, ARs, bolt action. The rest are done with handguns. The fact that gun grabbers zero in on ARs shows they are not interested in a factual discussion.

The reality is that gun grabbers go after ARs because they look scary. An AR is to an automatic military rifle, like a sports car is to a race car. Spoilers, lowered suspension, stickers, and a fart can exhaust does not make a typical car into a professional race car. It is the same thing with ARs. The mimic the look of military style rifles... partly because that is what people want and secondly, it is an effective general purpose design as far as firearms are concerned.

link   
a reply to: carewemust

Yes two Glocks.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   
And by law.

People have to under go the unconstitutional background check.

That was created in 1998.

Also by law schools are gun free zones

Gun free zone Act of 1990.

The 1968 Gun control Act made it illegal for whackos to buy them or own them.

The Brady Handgun Prevention Act was signed in to law in 1993 which parroted the GCA of '68.

So I have no idea what those moronic kids, and the antigunners are whining about.

The kicker of it all is the action of murder has was made illegal way back when.

The lunatics are running the insane asylum it seems.

If at first they don't obey the law, create more laws they are not going to follow.

My closing remarks.

Maybe we should round up all the crazy peeps and throw them in a fema camp.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Simple solutions;

Raise age to buy any semi auto to 21. Allow sales to under 21 if gun is safeguarded by a range. If it is to be shot outside of a range then it can be signed out to a sponsoring adult for a specified time period.

Improve our criminal reporting systems and improve background checks. Try to ensure everyone responsible does their job to the fullest so people do not fall in the cracks. Have a speedy appeal process for those who feel a mistake has been made.

Do not allow gun ownership for those on drugs for mental conditions. Make a gun check part of the prescription process for these drugs.

Fund organizations who help kids get their crap together and teach them Life Skills so they have a chance of succeeding in the world.

Create state miilitias to guard against tyranny from the Feds.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Ya know, I get tired of the drama queens on the Left, and in the media, that say we need to go after firearms after incidents like this.

I also get tired of the drama queens on the Right that knee-jerk so hard that they actually think they are going to come after all firearms.

Both sides love to use tragedy in order to push their political narratives, and the willing stooges on ATS are always sure to follow orders.

All I can say is that you need to find a better argument. Hopefully based on constitutional positions. The OP you have written only makes it look like banning handguns may be a good idea to those that want such things.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   
It will never stop. The problem is that the known tactics of tyrannical people is to slowly chip away, a little at a time, from things that they don't like until they have removed it all without most people realizing it.

Both major parties are guilty of it, for sure, and it's been a long-used tactic in the history of humanity. They know what they're doing, the problem is, they're starting with the wrong thing, as there are too many people truly willing to fight (i.e.: Military and veterans) who like these rifles. They're fighting a loosing battle--they could have done this 8 years ago, but chose not to, and now they wait until the Repubs are in office to demonize them and say that they're the problem and don't have priorities strait.

If the Dems believe what they say about how much mass shooting would go down without ARs, then they are culpable in this and all mass shooting between Obama's first inauguration and when they lost control of Congress. They had two years to "fix" this issue, and did nothing.

They can save us the horsesh*t about how it's Trump's and the Republicans' fault. Do they really think that American's are that stupid? (well, obviously some are, but you know...)

originally posted by: UpIsNowDown

Bullets have no place in innocent children

Did you read that on the back of a Subaru and feel that it was intelligent to quote it here?

You basically just proved Edumakated's point--you're letting emotion cause you to state obvious things that neither negate the OP nor add anything to the discussion.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I've owned dozens of semi-auto "assault" rifles, fired thousands of rounds and yet never managed to hit anyone, or even close...so either I'm a piss-poor shot, or the problem doesn't lie in the type of weapon, but in the person holding it.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: sligtlyskeptical
Simple solutions;

Raise age to buy any semi auto to 21. Allow sales to under 21 if gun is safeguarded by a range. If it is to be shot outside of a range then it can be signed out to a sponsoring adult for a specified time period.

Improve our criminal reporting systems and improve background checks. Try to ensure everyone responsible does their job to the fullest so people do not fall in the cracks. Have a speedy appeal process for those who feel a mistake has been made.

Do not allow gun ownership for those on drugs for mental conditions. Make a gun check part of the prescription process for these drugs.

Fund organizations who help kids get their crap together and teach them Life Skills so they have a chance of succeeding in the world.

Agreed apart from your last suggestion about state militias... any Tom Dick and Harry can join if not properly vetted by competent people.

Just my opinion as an outsider of the USA but also a gun owner (France)

Kindest respects

Lagomorphe

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: sligtlyskeptical
Simple solutions;

If I can join the military at 18 and be issued a rifle based on the AR platform, I shouldn't have to be 21 in the civilian world.

This proposal only affects law-abiding citizens, as criminals will just purchase or steal one if they really want it.

Well, I think that's what Trump is saying in his proposed revamping of the background checks. Unless I'm mistaken, not all municipalities are required to report directly to the FBI, and while I'm not certain that's always a good idea, I think that as far as the criteria for flagging an NICS check goes, it would be a good thing.

Have you read the list of things that bar you from gun ownership per the NICS background check? These two points are already noted, at least as far as adjudicated issues go. You even have to note if you've used or are using illegal drugs when you fill out paperwork to buy a gun.

There are many of those out there already...I don't think that this is a federal-government issue.

Those also exist, but get demonized for what they are because average people call them paranoid, crazy, or alt-right. Go figure.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

That was the point. To show direction. I am not jumping up and down screaming I am sending a warning. I wanted to see what others felt about it which is why I posted it.

The constitutional position is that we have a right, not a privilege, to own a firearm. I think a NCIS database to reference for background checks is good but at the same time I do not think it is right for 'felons' not to be able to buy firearms. What if my felony as bank fraud? It is not a simple argument and there is no common sense solution as the media keeps saying.

State laws do not work either. If a person wants it they will drive to another state and buy a gun at a gun show.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   

That was the point. To show direction. I am not jumping up and down screaming I am sending a warning. I wanted to see what others felt about it which is why I posted it.

You are not sending a warning. You are crying about the same stuff people have been crying about for decades. Not to mention you make the case that banning handguns may also be a reasonable suggestion. Was that intentional?

The constitutional position is that we have a right, not a privilege, to own a firearm. I think a NCIS database to reference for background checks is good but at the same time I do not think it is right for 'felons' not to be able to buy firearms. What if my felony as bank fraud? It is not a simple argument and there is no common sense solution as the media keeps saying.

Yes, there is a common sense solution. Problem is that the Right Wingers that call themselves "pro-2nd" and the media that push these narratives don't seem to want to hear or understand it.

State laws do not work either. If a person wants it they will drive to another state and buy a gun at a gun show.

Are you purposefully trying to give the anti-gun folks more ammunition against our 2nd amendment right?

That just feeds the "gun show" loophole narrative.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join