It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What options would the FBI have had in reacting to the tip?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 09:03 AM
link   
If this is not worthy of a new thread, feel free to push this into another existing thread but I think it is something that is worth discussing. What exactly could the FBI have done if they acted on the tip they failed to deal with? According to published reports, Cruz posted that he wanted to become a professional school shooter. Is that statement in and of itself illegal? With existing laws and limitations in place under the constitution and gun laws - there really is not much they could have done to prevent the tragedy even if they acted on the tip.

I have not found anyone discussing this particular aspect of the story... I've seen numerous articles and comments on here saying "The FBI should have done more" but what exactly could they have done?

He did not make a specific threat..
The current laws do not allow someone to be committed based off of a statement like that..
They could not have taken his gun(s) away from him.. that would've been a violation of his 2A

My included source is not specific to this but it is one of the many articles stating they should have done more but nobody has said what they should!

Source

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: DoubleDNH

they could have interviewed him. They could have checked on if he owned any weapons. They could have put a block on any future firearms purchases, or at least flagged them. They could have done SOMETHING. Maybe they wouldn't have stopped it, but then again, maybe just paying a little attention to him would have meant the world to him. All we know now is 17 more people are dead.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 09:11 AM
link   

To start. If the FBI would have done a proper investigation they would have seen his ties to the school and just how dangerous he was. Also, who knows what they would have found during the investigation? Plans for the shooting is a possibility. Which would of led to an arrest.

At the very least they would have had an idea of what was going to happen. Allowing for a few police to stick around campus and guard the place.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

they could have interviewed him. They could have checked on if he owned any weapons. They could have put a block on any future firearms purchases, or at least flagged them. They could have done SOMETHING. Maybe they wouldn't have stopped it, but then again, maybe just paying a little attention to him would have meant the world to him. All we know now is 17 more people are dead.

That was kind of where I was going with this OP. They really could not have done anything... they couldn't put a block on his right to own or purchase firearms. He did not break a law. I am not in any way giving the FBI a pass on this but I am trying to point out that under our current laws and rights, there was not much they could have done and THIS IS AN ISSUE!

In response to Ursush - how long would they have put extra security in place for ... indefinitely? The FBI was tipped off on September 24th... do they keep extra security in place for 6 months? Probably not..

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Actually, the FBI received a tip 1 month prior to the shooting.
According to what's reported.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 09:29 AM
link   

so checking on his ability to answer questions, and try to get an understanding of his mental health would not have solved anything? Again, I don't know for sure, but I can't help but think it might have.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Of course this is all hypothetical.
I mean, hypothetically the FBI would investigate someone who threatens to shoot up a school. But they didn't.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: DoubleDNH

originally posted by: network dude

they couldn't put a block on his right to own or purchase firearms.

Why not? It's been done for far less reasons for others.

Here are some factors that would have given the FBI valid reasons to step in and given them the ability to act.

- He suffered from a mental illness. (depression, ADHD and autism)
- Students saw him as strange and disturbed.
- He bought SEVEN rifles in past year.
- He literally told a female classmate, 'I'm gonna kill you, I'm gonna rape you, I'm gonna hurt your family,'"
- Sen. Marco Rubio said the FBI’s failure to assess Cruz was inexcusable.
- The FBI admitted proper protocol was not taken once the information was received.
- The FBI admitted that Cruz should have been seen as a potential threat to life.
- Police were called to his house 39 times since 2010. This alone would allow authorities to REMOVE ALL FIREARMS.
- Cruiz posted photos of guns and used captions containing racial slurs against Muslims and blacks
- His Youtube posts said:
-- "I whana shoot people with my AR-15,”
-- "Im going to be a professional school shooter." (This is pretty direct!)
-- "I wanna die Fighting killing # ton of people,”
-- "I am going to kill law enforcement one day they go after the good people."

I don't see how the FBI COULDN'T do anything. With just this information alone, they could have locked him up and given him the professional help he needed. This guy was an obvious loose cannon and was destined to go off.... soon!

edit on 20-2-2018 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I if they had him on the radar , could have talked to him and get him talking about it he might have been stopped in some way.
Maybe he posted in hopes of being noticed and felt like he was sending an unanswered warning, and had to go through with it , as an I told you so.
The FBI could have gotten a little bit of credibility back. And legally.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   

A face to face interview would have been a great place to start.
LEO's, school counselors, family etc. I've had more in-depth interviews
and background checks applying for a job.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 09:47 AM
link   

This seems to be just the expected emotional response to something such as the shooting.

They don't necessarily know what the FBI should have done, but they know the FBI should have done something. But they forget about individual rights and things like reasonable suspicion/probable cause.

Also, many of those saying the FBI should have done something are also the same people saying they are corrupted and compromised.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Started an investigation--and that's what they should have done.

I don't think that they should have gone directly at him, per se, but interviewing students who knew him, school teachers and administrators, and even called and spoken with the parents of the family who was housing him would have been great starts. Compiling a list of "priors" and searching his name in federal and local databases would have been a brilliant step, too.

But instead, they did little-to-nothing, which was obviously NOT the right answer.

I think Andy Griffith could have started a team led by Barney Fife that would have yielded better results than what the FBI did. I think that Trump is correct in his general statement--the FBI doesn't have its priorities straight, or isn't led by or populated with the right type of people who we need to do the job correctly.

What they could not have done is just stormed his home and confiscated his personal property (at that point in time).

I don't claim to know if an investigation would have had any tangible results prior to his actions, but an investigation should have been started, regardless.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 10:22 AM
link   
If they'd looked into it, they'd have seen that he had been treated at a mental health facility. That, at the very least, raises questions about how he got past question 11F on his 4473. Throw in all the vile online statements plus nearly 40 police visits over the years, and its clear something wasn't right and that immediate investigation was warranted.

Could they have done anything? If they could prove he lied or intentionally gave a misleading answer on 4473, they could have.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Interestingly enough, more than 20 students/young people have been arrested over the last few days for 'copycat' threats on social media, like Nikolas Cruz's. Link

Some said things like, "Be ready for school on Monday..." and were captioned with kids holding real and fake guns. Others said stuff like, "Round 2 on Florida."

One 19 year old was arrested for complicity to a terroristic threat because she knew about two other girls who planned to post a threat to get out of school.

So...I am not sure why the FBI and local officials could do "nothing" about Nikolas Cruz's non-specific threatening comment on youtube and, frankly, I don't buy it.

edit on 2/20/2018 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   

What options? None. Unless it's a conspiracy (and conspiracy charges should be unconstiutional) you cannot arrest someone for a crime they haven't yet committed.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

Interestingly enough, more than 20 students/young people have been arrested over the last few days for 'copycat' threats on social media, like Nikolas Cruz's. Link

Some said things like, "Be ready for school on Monday..." and were captioned with kids holding real and fake guns. Others said stuff like, "Round 2 on Florida."

One 19 year old was arrested for complicity to a terroristic threat because she knew about two other girls who planned to post a threat to get out of school.

So...I am not sure why the FBI and local officials could do "nothing" about Nikolas Cruz's non-specific threatening comment on youtube and, frankly, I don't buy it.

None of those will stick in court though. In the end, they'll have to set them free and return the weapons, if the weapons are legal.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

At that point he was innocent. Do you want the FBI treating innocent people like they're guilty, not because of innocent until proven guilty, but just because they're suspicious the person in question might commit a crime in the future.

That is an extremely dangerous road to go down.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Emotional Response? The FBI was told twice this kid was a threat. DCF for the state of Florida was told by him he was going to purchase a gun. He was unstable. He showed EVERY flag there would be in a situation like this.

Don't make this political either with the corrupt BS unless we all want to talk about how this was allowed to happen by the FBI for political reasons.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
a reply to: SlapMonkey

At that point he was innocent. Do you want the FBI treating innocent people like they're guilty, not because of innocent until proven guilty, but just because they're suspicious the person in question might commit a crime in the future.

That is an extremely dangerous road to go down.

Nothing I said is the same as you interpreted it.

Investigations are an appropriate tool when someone is possibly doing something wrong...that's how you obtain evidence needed for things like arrests or warrants.

All I did was advocate for an investigation--that is not a dangerous road, and it's rather amusing that you responded that way to my comment.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Raid the house. Take the gun. Put him on the "No Buy" list. Lots of evidence would have warranted that.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join