It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are boys 'broken'?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Which speaks to my point: women have the greatest influence over children. So much so that the majority of family court rulings place custody with the mother. Women tend to be the nurses, the teachers, and do the majority of parenting tasks. For good or bad, thats how it is.

Add to that the women who have children with fathers in prison. The children who are most at risk for becoming criminals themselves.

"Toxic masculinity"...from where does it derive?

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wayfarer

originally posted by: Thirty6BelowZero

...most of the politicians that are busted sexually abusing women are democrats...

So you're saying the Democrats are just worse at keeping it hidden or more incompetent at evading punishment?

I'm saying democrats are more guilty of the things they're pointing their fingers at.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

In the minds of 3rd wave feminist.

They brought it to the forefront as it root cause of all problems.

Don't let them see you throw the ball back in their court, they'll have to turn blue.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: loam

“Toxic masculinity” is PC speak for I have no clue what I’m talking about. But to play that game, remember that toxic masculinity has always been raised by toxic femininity. Mothers, teachers, babysitters are mostly female, and they have influence and access to people during their most important days of learning.

I'm really having trouble parsing this.

Could you expound on 'Toxic Femininity', especially as it relates to raising boys?

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Which speaks to my point: women have the greatest influence over children. So much so that the majority of family court rulings place custody with the mother. Women tend to be the nurses, the teachers, and do the majority of parenting tasks. For good or bad, thats how it is.

Add to that the women who have children with fathers in prison. The children who are most at risk for becoming criminals themselves.

You're trying to explain a situation that doesn't exist.

Electronic saturation and social media however has emperical effects on the youths well being.

Both parents have plenty of control over that stuff. It's just easier to let your kid be a zombie than to raise them after the stress of the day.
edit on 20-2-2018 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   

...most of the politicians that are busted sexually abusing women are democrats...

So you're saying the Democrats are just worse at keeping it hidden or more incompetent at evading punishment?

I'm saying democrats are more guilty of the things they're pointing their fingers at.

I have to go back to the 70's to reach a decade where sexual scandals were more prevalent for D's, so I'm not sure how you are arriving at that assertion. Care to expound upon your reasoning?

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I blame man-spreading.

And skinny jeans, I mean really. Skinny jeans?

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Hey man, if you got the legs for it....

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
I blame man-spreading.

And yeezis. Particularly with skinny jeans.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
I blame man-spreading.

Fun story. A while back I got hired to work at some American Eagle subsidiary store in my local mall. One of the requirements was for every employee to wear skinny jeans and sandals at work. I'm 230 lbs and not in the greatest of shape. I'm the type of person that people get concerned about when they wear tight clothing. So yeaaaaa... Long story shot, I didn't take the job.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 09:58 AM
link   

“Toxic masculinity” is PC speak for I have no clue what I’m talking about. But to play that game, remember that toxic masculinity has always been raised by toxic femininity. Mothers, teachers, babysitters are mostly female, and they have influence and access to people during their most important days of learning.

I'm really having trouble parsing this.

Could you expound on 'Toxic Femininity', especially as it relates to raising boys?

Im being a little cheeky, but as I stated, women have access to and influence over boys during their most impressionable years. We live in a matriarchy.
edit on 20-2-2018 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: acackohfcc

What do you mean by:

Are boys being force to behave ways their genetics and hormones can't allow?

???

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   

There is a reason they shoot up schools. Schools are the problem.

link   
a reply to: luthier

Social media didn't exist when Klebold shot up his school.

link   

The language itself is a threat. You do not need to follow through with it. I never said that you would either. The language is a threat, it is predictable and understandable that you don't want to see it that way, for many reasons. However, that sort of language does signal that expressing threats is appropriate, and for boys (and these days, often men) who don't quite understand how words can turn to violence it reinforces that expressing violence and threatening people is ok. It's not. It is divisive language at best and modeling aggressive behavior at it's worst.

You made a mistake because you are coming from a fearful place for your son. You expressed this as threatening language. It was wrong. You do not want to admit it. It was wrong, morally and counter productive in the end, I called you on it and it has made you defensive and angry. And at this point, it is only a distraction from your overall point. If you want to continue to fixate on it so that you can convince yourself that you weren't wrong and hypocritical for saying it that's fine, but I'm not going to respond to it. You are derailing your own thread with your defensiveness.

Regarding your other point, I agree for the most part. I just don't think it's a "So what?" though. In fact, I think that trying to say "So what?" is actually contributing to confusion and frustration for boys. We have absolutely converted those generalizations into a social policy for boys that replaces one problem for another that's true. In so doing, many people on both sides just want to pretend that biology doesn't have anything to do with negative behavior. So I see your "So what?" as part of that social policy and loss of social connection. You can't fix a problem if you don't acknowledge it. You can't just say hormonally induced behavioral propensities aren't an issue, or are an issue that is separate from behavior. It seems like what you are trying to say is that a shared behavioral experience (nature or nurture) shouldn't be a factor in how we judge an individual because it's really difficult to translate those generalizations into something positive. You're right we should be sure, we should be thoughtful, but ignoring it is neither of those things. My point is that we need to acknowledge those shared behaviors and come up with strategies as a society to help people cope with and navigate them; we are talking about boys here, but this applies to both genders, and many social experiences, including violence, abuse, poverty, etc... Any number of things, some benign, some not so much.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: loam
What could possibly go wrong with making young impressionable boys feel there is something inherently wrong with them?

I don't know. Why don't you ask women? We've been doing this to them through religion since, oh I dunno, forever.

You should have stopped at "oh I dunno." Women aren't degraded. They're told they're degraded by evil white Republican males. Even when Hollywood's sexual abusers, and most of the politicians that are busted sexually abusing women are democrats. It's obvious that, uh you dunno.

So your whole life is analyzed through a Republican/Democrat partisan lenses? So how do the Republicans and Democrats factor into how Abrahamic religions have been demonizing women since their inception? Things like "original sin" or forcing them to basically be property to men. I wonder how the Democrats are responsible for women having to wear tons of clothes and are told to be ashamed to show off skin.

Since I dunno anything, I'm sure you can elucidate these issues to me as I was always under the impression that neither the Democrat nor the Republican parties existed throughout human history.

Before women were pushed by feminists to be single moms due to being so strong and not needing a man in the picture, they were a major player in the nuclear family. They played a major role in keeping men tame and getting them to church and involved in other things. I still remember a time when the man's job was to get up early every morning, shower, get dressed, drag his ass to work, and make the money needed to support the family. It was the gentlemanly thing to do. Always open the door for your wife, always make sure she's happy. Now, because of feminists, that way of life is seen as evil, controlling, and only wanting to keep the woman down because she's inferior and incapable of doing what a man can do. That doesn't mean she's property property, that means the man is doing everything so she doesn't have to.

As for makeup, that comes from a woman being embarrassed to be seen without it because a lot of the time, you wouldn't even know who she was. And for showing skin, women didn't do that back in the day because it was disrespectful. It's unbelievably amazing and jaw dropping how the left and other feminists have been able to make women think that sort of thing is meant to be degrading.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

No but the underlying idea had begun. Suicide rates were at a peak in the 90's. Rising again. It's not only electronics. It's the lack of parenting. Probably a correlation to latch key kids and then parents ignoring their children.

Throw in highlight reals of how awesome everyones life is but yours and bullying that follows you around in your pocket where veer you go and it seems like a bad situation.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: luthier

I'm still trying to decide for myself the merit of this point. Does toxic femininity exist? Not sure. But I do agree with the broader point that the absence of a nuclear family tends to make children more susceptible to problems. But included with that notion, I would add the loss of the extended family and community that shares in the responsibility of raising healthy children.

100% agree with your electronic saturation point. The science there is very clear.
edit on 20-2-2018 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Thirty6BelowZero

Way to continue to miss my point. It's like you believe all of history is comprised of only your lifetime or something and refuse to understand why certain traditions are the way they are or why certain things considered "disrespectful" are considered so while not considered so for the opposite gender doing the same thing.

To be honest, I didn't expect to even need to explain my point to you. It's not even arguable that women have had a #ty experience throughout history being told there is something wrong with them just because they are women.
edit on 20-2-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   

There is a reason they shoot up schools. Schools are the problem.

That doesn't make much sense.

People also shoot up workplaces, post offices, fast food restaurants, etc. They are not the problem and neither are the schools.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join