It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are boys 'broken'?

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: Thirty6BelowZero

a reply to: Thirty6BelowZero

Way to continue to miss my point. It's like you believe all of history is comprised of only your lifetime or something and refuse to understand why certain traditions are the way they are or why certain things considered "disrespectful" are considered so while not considered so for the opposite gender doing the same thing.

To be honest, I didn't expect to even need to explain my point to you. It's not even arguable that women have had a #ty experience throughout history being told there is something wrong with them just because they are women.

Where do you get this from? When were men telling women there was something wrong with them?

Original sin

It's pretty much a defining feature of the Christian religion. That's just one example.

Uhh, I was raised in a Southern Baptist church and I've never once heard that men believe there's something wrong with women.

Just because you've never heard of it doesn't mean it isn't true.

Yeah. Where did you hear it, the internet?

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

After Harvey Weinstein's abuse scandal...

One needs to wonder what part of this was the scandal..

Go back 5 years or less and old Harvey's actions were 100% seen as a norm in Hollywood. He used women to his likings and women used him to their likings. They even joked about it openly as ALL of Hollywood saw men play women and women played men as a normal course of action.

This has also played out into once again this huge passive aggressive environment that over shadows a huge amount of the progress liberal world now as they look for anything and everything that can be label as part of this whole inappropriate behavior event, and have you noticed everyone of them wants to be a #AndMeToo member anyway they can.

I have indeed. The irony here is that they tried to set an example to bring Trump down. So in the midst of Hollyweird and the DNC pointing their fingers at Trump and screaming "sexual abuser" and "sexist," it turns out that they're all the ones who were sexual abusers and sexists.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dfairlite
a reply to: Bluntone22

Men used to be expected to be the protectors of women and children. Now men are demonized for exhibiting such traits.

Women used to be expected to not have a voice or hand in shaping their own lives, and to submit to that expectation of men.
Now men are no longer expected to be the protectors, they're expected to accept that women can protect themselves, do for themselves and their children, for instance. So what's this demonizing talk? In the words of Marcellus Wallace that sting you feel is "just pride f#ing with you".

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: CajunMetal

I read this and weep for my little boy who gets excited when he talks about the wife and kids he wants to have someday.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Way to continue to miss my point. It's like you believe all of history is comprised of only your lifetime or something and refuse to understand why certain traditions are the way they are or why certain things considered "disrespectful" are considered so while not considered so for the opposite gender doing the same thing.

To be honest, I didn't expect to even need to explain my point to you. It's not even arguable that women have had a #ty experience throughout history being told there is something wrong with them just because they are women.

Where do you get this from? When were men telling women there was something wrong with them?

Original sin

It's pretty much a defining feature of the Christian religion. That's just one example.

Uhh, I was raised in a Southern Baptist church and I've never once heard that men believe there's something wrong with women.

Just because you've never heard of it doesn't mean it isn't true.

Yeah. Where did you hear it, the internet?

The Catholic church since I'm an ex-Catholic.

Didn't you ever wonder why women can only be nuns and can't preach? It's because original sin blames Eve more than Adam because she picked the apple and convinced him to eat it.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

In California, living alone by the time your 18 is not an option due to high housing prices.

To live in California, you have to either live with your parents, roommates, or have a high paying white collar job.

Trades is not an option here and is generally frown upon.

And to think....back in the 80's, California was the place everyone wanted to visit or live. And Astoria, OR.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dfairlite
a reply to: soberbacchus

Are we at the most masculine time in our history or the least or somewhere in between?

I suspect the answer pivots on the definition of Masculine.

In a modern world where brains not brawn brings home the dinner and women can compete, perhaps some men feel insecure about their masculinity?

Or you could argue it was always brains over brawn that made men out of boys.

Responsibility. Owning your mistakes and victories fully. Taking responsibility is what I was always told was the difference between boys and men.

Masculinity? Men have their clear nature and purpose, just like Women do. I think if you can embrace and celebrate your gender while treating women, lgbt etc. with equal respect and value, it works.

Boys get broken when they think violence is a measure of manhood.
Or when they search for power in violence or killing.
Or when they desperately seek unearned respect so badly that they settle for moments where people fear them.

I don't know? Teach your children well? Being a man is great! It is something to be proud of, but having hair between your legs, treating woman like meat or random violence or killing someone does not make anyone a man?

All I know is that Modern American Culture sucks at teaching boys what a man is.
Same goes with girls and women, effen Barbie dolls and fake women on magazine covers ad nauseum.

edit on 21-2-2018 by soberbacchus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

Obviously she would, but you're missing the point. Before nuclear families were nerdy, the man made sure enough money came in and worked extra jobs if needed.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I read this and weep for my little boy who gets excited when he talks about the wife and kids he wants to have someday.

What are you referring to exactly?

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   
boys are not broken what's happened is our society has removed all masculinity from it

boys can't fight when they are young, trust me fighting is in their DNA, the have to work in dead end worthless jobs with bosses that force the creativity out of them doing mundane task with no risk or reward mechanisms built in

our society is doomed for failure right now

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   

a reply to: Wayfarer

What the claim is that there is something about boys that predisposes them to be school shooters so that's why so many school shootings are done by boys.

If that is the case, then there would be more school shootings because there are far more boys.

You would be better served to say that of people who snap in that way, males will be more likely to do it violently and/or murderously perhaps, but even then, that doesn't mean to say that there is a problem with boys only a difference in how genders respond to situations, and that may be no more "broken" than boys being more prone to being physically active.

That is not the claim. Again you are conflating the data to fit an 'angle' I think. The data is unbiased, it merely can be inferred that there is a correlation between the shootings and gender, but what I linked doesn't go any further into the analysis than that. The discussion/claim in the thread is whether 'Toxic Masculinity' is a contribution factor, which since I've presented no data in that case can't make a direct assertion one way or another. What I can say though is that there is a correlation between school shooters and gender, and Toxic Masculinity may play a roll in that connection (since its related to the gender in question). Correlation of course doesn't equal causation, but can be a useful springboard to further analysis.

Also I'm not sure why you and others keep parroting the assumption that I and others have said there is a problem with boys (as in all boys). It sounds like you have assumed implications from our earlier assertions and run with them to the extreme.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Why?

In any marriage, especially with children in the equation, there is plenty of need and opportunity for both spouses to be hero for the day, no need for one to be subjugated to the other.

edit on 21-2-2018 by soberbacchus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   

I can't parse the logic behind this. Are you hand wringing because your son won't have 100% of the women in this world available to be his potential wife and mother of his children?

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   

What I can say though is that there is a correlation between school shooters and gender, and Toxic Masculinity may play a roll in that connection

I'm sick of this liberal garbage talk

the problem isn't masculinity it's the suppression of masculinity, we are raising boys to be women and forcing them to suppress what's only natural and it's causing massive discord socially

today is not the day, I better go hit the heavy bag and take my yoga class

I need to express my masculinity in a productive manner because I'm forced to suppress my dominance all day long in our ridiculously over feminized society filled with fragile weak minded people

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

What I can say though is that there is a correlation between school shooters and gender, and Toxic Masculinity may play a roll in that connection

I'm sick of this liberal garbage talk

the problem isn't masculinity it's the suppression of masculinity, we are raising boys to be women and forcing them to suppress what's only natural and it's causing massive discord socially

today is not the day, I better go hit the heavy bag and take my yoga class

I need to express my masculinity in a productive manner because I'm forced to suppress my dominance all day long in our ridiculously over feminized society filled with fragile weak minded people

This is actually a very good example of what the article in the OP was mentioning....

ToxicMasculinity.txt

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Modern American culture is busy teaching kids that there aren't boys and girls, just about 57 genders on a spectrum and several different sexual orientations to go with them.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   

you'll be begging for toxic masculinity to save your butt when something bad happens I promise you that, you'll be glad there toxic masculine men out there with guns willing to jump in the line of fire to help you when you need it

no doubt about it, you're probably glad that there is a bunch of toxic masculine men in our military doing there best to do what they think is right on the battlefield to

but go ahead and continue with this garbage

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Modern American culture is busy teaching kids that there aren't boys and girls, just about 57 genders on a spectrum and several different sexual orientations to go with them.

No its not, its just starting to teach males that they don't have to conform to your idea of masculinity. The fact that you are getting so upset over this is more likely telling of your own issues.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Because everything the poster I replied to was saying is that no real woman needs a man for anything except maybe a sperm donor.

I don't know about you, but I do need my husband. Sure, I could fend for myself and our son if I had to, but he's my partner and a pillar of my emotional support. Without him, I'd be half of myself.

So here's my little boy growing up with a strong bonded pair of parents in front of him and I'm being told that society is sending the message that he ought not expect to find, want, or need what he expects or desires in his future -- a spouse who loves, wants him, and needs him and will build a bond of mutual emotional support with him for the purposes of forming a strong family.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wayfarer

No its not, its just starting to teach males that they don't have to conform to your idea of masculinity. The fact that you are getting so upset over this is more likely telling of your own issues.

Get over yourself.

I worry that my kid is being told he's being wrong for being who and what he is.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join