It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social media trolls are lying about black people assaulting 'Black Panther' movie-goers

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Namdru
a reply to: Southern Guardian

It seems to be a pattern. This one got caught early in the game.

Looks like a bit of racism combined with severe envy for a very successful black superhero movie. Racist undertones aside, seriously it is about jealousy. Black Panther is the fifth-largest movie opening of all time.

Then why didn't we see the same behavior when it came to Independence Day or Men in Black? Or the myriad other movies with black stars/black orientation?

I saw it over the weekend and personally thought it was great. The bad guy is a sjw blm type, and the hero is basically black Trump. (you know you saw the tweet)

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

And what identity politics would those be? It seems like any time a movie comes out that traditionally has a white male lead with a non-white or non-male lead a certain subset of the Internet cries about identity politics.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 10:49 AM
link   

I'm pretty sure these are actually Russian bots.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

Independence Day had a white male lead opposite Will Smith. The same goes for Men in Black. And even then the cast is primarily white in both. Black Panther on the other hand has a predominantly black cast with half of the prominent white actors being outright villainous. There was a similar backlash to 12 Years A Slave.
edit on 2/20/2018 by Xcalibur254 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
Identity politics begets identity politics. If they never promoted this movie with identity politics, the wouldn’t have gotten identity politics in return. It’s a bloody superhero movie.

“Playing identity politics” is really sugar coating faking attacks in order to deepen the divide and you can’t really dismiss anything as just a superhero movie, superhero fiction has always been tightly entwined with social and political commentary.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Their called racists

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I think we need a new superhero called Kid Krazy Karate to counter Black Panther. Then ALL the racists would be happy.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

You mean Shang Chi, Master of Kung Fu?

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Nope, single solution problems are entirely mythical. They are designed to appeal to people who lack the capacity for multidimensional (many variable) reasoning.

We did this to ourselves. We no longer have the capacity to "argue" in the classical sense beyond simple black/white, good/evil, yes/no answers or "solutions."

As much as I hate to admit it, the media is largely to blame. Everything is reduced to strict single solution, binary thinking, even though nothing in this world actually is.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Never heard of the movie until the day it came out and an acquaintance invited me to go see it. I don't like crowds and I don't like movies and I don't have twitter or facebook soooo I guess I'll just see myself to the door. Not much to add here.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Superhero movies (other than Thor) are boring and the new PC Superheroes are even worse. I wouldn't waste my time going to see the glorification of black on black violence.

edit on 2018/2/20 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

That may be the dumbest thing I have ever read on ATS.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting

That may be the dumbest thing I have ever read on ATS.

Yes, I think super hero movies are boring so I must be stupid.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Just want to add that the "knock-out" game wasn't being played that long ago..

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

Independence Day had a white male lead opposite Will Smith. The same goes for Men in Black. And even then the cast is primarily white in both. Black Panther on the other hand has a predominantly black cast with half of the prominent white actors being outright villainous. There was a similar backlash to 12 Years A Slave.

Yeah, I suppose the wild success and crowd draw of both movies had nothing to do with Will Smith, coming off of his successful sitcom and emergent hip-hop career, starring. It was totally Jeff Goldblum (The Fly & "Must go faster") along with TLJ propping Smith up.

Regarding 12 Years A Slave, there was backlash from the black community as well, because they do not want to see more films showing the downtrodden parts of black history.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

How do you get ignoramus' to stop such squalk? There's got to be a single solution, surely?

Act like non of it maters. These people only put this stuff out in public for attention. If they didn't want the attention they wouldn't post about it for the world to see.

Don't give it to them.
Don't retweet it.
Don't write about in the paper.
Don't talk about it on the news.
Don't post about it on social media (including ats)

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Black Panther predates a lot of the classic Marvel heroes. His first appearance was in 1966. In fact he even predates the Black Panther Party by a few months.

The title of his second solo story arc? The Panther vs. The Klan.

So he's hardly a "new PC superhero."

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Black Panther on the other hand has a predominantly black cast with half of the prominent white actors being outright villainous.

I never read the black panther comics.
IF that is how it plays out in the comics than I am fine with this. I am one of those that believes art should never be censored. BUT, if this is just the idea of some writers then I don't like it. I wouldn't call putting political imagery in a movie just for the sake of ticket sells art.

So tell me guys (without spoilers) is the move like the comics?
edit on 20-2-2018 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-2-2018 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Yep. The movie's pretty much true to the comics. With the exception of Everett Ross and Ulysses Klaw all of the recurring characters in Black Panther are black.
edit on 2/20/2018 by Xcalibur254 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 07:14 PM
link   

These are trolls from 4chan's /b/. That's all. It was a response to "Whites don't need to see this movie".

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join