Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Define A True Leader

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 04:57 PM
link   
How does everyone here define a true leader?
In your eyes who is a True Leader in this world.
I have always respected Ghandi, Nelson mandela is also a great leader.
Deep

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 06:19 PM
link   
A true leader leads by example. He stands at the front of the pack and says "Follow me!" He does not sit in the rear and say "Do this, do that!"

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 06:20 PM
link   
A men that is wise and experienced, that work for his people and not for him.

[Edited on 1-7-2003 by Salem]

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I think Che Guevara was a great leader, with the wrong support (castro).

And Jesus. He was the best leader of all, and he definately stood up for what he believed in.........................that is, if you believe in Jesus

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 09:25 PM
link   
chebob, just a comment first, I don't think it matters if you believe in Jesus or not, that is an issue with his "divinity" the fact he was a good leader can not be denied by even Atheists.

My definition of a Good Leader is best represented by men like Cincinatus and George Washington.

Men to whom all other men will surrender all rights and Freedom, yet they turn it down when their leadership is no longer truly required, to return to a life among the meek.

This is why I won't count men like Caesar among the great leaders.

Men like him could not lay down the crown when the people would hand it to him.

Vercingetorix I think was a good leader, the Gaul who challenged Caesar.

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Ghandi was a great leader, though he never held a political thrown.
A true leader would sacrifice himself to serve his country.
He would not treat any of his fellow country man in any way he would not treat himself.
Deep

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Robert E. Lee would be my definition of a 'True Leader.' Its a shame he never decided to run for any political office. His 'vision' was admirable. His desire to abolish slavery was as fervent as Abraham Lincoln's.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I think a true leader is one who never tries to lead.
People just follow him anyway.

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Hmm...

A true leader is someone who:

A. Leads the group, not directing orders from shielding positions.

B. Makes good decisions, wise and fair

C. Works for his people

D. Respects the opinions of his people, listening to what they say.

Great Leaders...

A. Jesus

B. Ghandi

C. Good Ol' George Washington

D. Abraham Lincoln

There is proof that Jesus DID in fact exist....or so they think.

1) They think they found his tomb writing/urn. Inscribed upon it was: Jesus, son of Joseph, brother of John. Someone calculate the odds..they aren't too bad, but not too great.

2) They THINK they might have found the shroud that he was given on his march to his crucifixion.

3) Other readings/teachings/papers/etc

-Peace

-Mac

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Vlad dracul.
that guy protected his country while impaling everyone who invaded his turf.

hey, it was either that or dr. dre.

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 09:47 PM
link   
A good leader is an ordinary man who has gained the respect and admiration of those who work under him, he does not explot them or treat them as fodder.

He treats them as his children.

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 11:55 PM
link   
and three of them have already came,

Alexander the Great

Julius Caesar

Genghis Khan

no modern man will match the cunning, power, or lilitary might harnessed by these three men. the next two of the five, will be the leaders of the last two empires of man, for then there will be none left.

posted on Jul, 2 2003 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by RobertBurns
chebob, just a comment first, I don't think it matters if you believe in Jesus or not, that is an issue with his "divinity" the fact he was a good leader can not be denied by even Atheists.

Ok Burns, point taken, it's just that I know lot's of Atheists who refuse to believe that any of the Bible, including Jesus, was real.........very misguided souls

posted on Jul, 2 2003 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Robert E. Lee would be my definition of a 'True Leader.' Its a shame he never decided to run for any political office. His 'vision' was admirable. His desire to abolish slavery was as fervent as Abraham Lincoln's.

regards
seekerof

Ummm as a guy.. who is in grad school.. for US history.. and focuses on the the politics leading up to the civil war.. could you tell give me some book titles about Lee's desire to abolish slavery? This is..... a new one on me. I realize that protection of slavery was not the reason he became a traitor but he did own people and was not wanting to let them go. He left the US army ONLY because Virginia was more important to him than the US. But slavery... that was part and parcel of his life and surroundings. He would have kept it in perpetuity. His want to abolish slavery being as fervent as Lincoln's is southern "moonlight and magnolias" (i.e. the Fantasy that the South was the pentultimate of American culture and that the slaves liked their world.) I will not argue, however, his leadership qualities because he loved and lead his men like few others.

Now for the topic of the thread. I think a leader is someone who builds consensus and has the intelligence and strength to go against it when it is the right thing to do.

Sorry, I know my American leaders a tad better than non (see above
)
Lincoln, FDR, Truman, Washington, John Brown (crazy but a strong leader), and (god help me) King.. ermm Pres George the second.. he is a great leader but I just think where he is leading us is Hell.

[Edited on 2-7-2003 by observer]

posted on Jul, 2 2003 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Napoleon

Alexandre le Grand

Julius Ceasar

posted on Jul, 2 2003 @ 06:52 PM
link   
The Pope.

Nightwalker

JUL

posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 03:46 PM
link   
In my definition a true leader marches to the beat of there own drummer. He or she does not need anyone with them in order to make a stand, nor are they a yes man.
They stay true to there beliefs, and draw people to them because of there demenor.

posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 03:58 PM
link   
A great leader can only be truely recognized as one once he's dead or a lot of time has passed.

A great leader is someone who leaves a lasting impact.

Like Lincoln, Ghandi, MLK, Chavez, Hitler, Napoleon. (Yes, I did include Hitler because although he killed the Jews he left an impact on the world) If it not for WW 2, the U.S would have been in a depression longer than expected.

Trust me, I don't like including Hitler in this list, but you have to consider others points of view.

posted on Jul, 27 2003 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Irwin Rommel,
Colin Powell,
George S. Patton,
Robert E. Lee,
Lo Armistead (Confederate General Killed At Gettysburg),
Stonewall Jackson,
Douglas MacArthur,
Joshua Lawrence Chamberlin,
Vladlimir Ilych Lenin (He got a whole country to go commuist CMON!),
Winston Curchill

and im sure there are tons more

posted on Jul, 27 2003 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mac223
Hmm...

A true leader is someone who:

A. Leads the group, not directing orders from shielding positions.

B. Makes good decisions, wise and fair

C. Works for his people

D. Respects the opinions of his people, listening to what they say.

Great Leaders...

A. Jesus

B. Ghandi

C. Good Ol' George Washington

D. Abraham Lincoln

There is proof that Jesus DID in fact exist....or so they think.

1) They think they found his tomb writing/urn. Inscribed upon it was: Jesus, son of Joseph, brother of John. Someone calculate the odds..they aren't too bad, but not too great.

2) They THINK they might have found the shroud that he was given on his march to his crucifixion.

3) Other readings/teachings/papers/etc

-Peace

-Mac

wasnt jesus' brother named james?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join

Help ATS Recover with your Donation.
read more: Help ATS Recover With Your Contribution