It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheyenne Mountain

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2003 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by GiantsFan
Ya they do...'s not into the actual work place... It's basically a tour of the entrance and that's it... but they do have a zoo there.

The zoo is at the Broadmoor resort.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Firstly I grew up in Colorado Springs, and have been everywhere mentioned in this thread numerous times.

1: Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, has no affiliation with NORAD, and / or The Broadmoor, they are all completely independent of each other. NORAD is actually more than a few miles from the Broadmoor, and Cheyenne Mountain Zoo. It is closer to Fountain / Fort Carson.

I think the place someone mentioned "driving up top see the city lights" was Gold Camp Road, which overlooks the Broadmoor and leads (at least used to lead until it was indefinitely closed) to Cripple Creek.

And yes NORAD is inside Cheyenne Mountain. If you are ever in Colorado Springs, Cheyenne Mountain is easily distinguished from the other mountains, as it has many radio and television towers mounted on top of it. It is a common misconception that they have anything at all to do with the operations of NORAD itself. When I was in school (maybe 9th grade) our school organized a field trip there.. It was VERY impressive, and yes it can withstand a direct nuclear blast. There were two sets of 6-8 foot thick solid steel doors (big enough to drive full size vehicles through) when I was there, it was one of the most impressive things I have ever seen, man made at least. All of the buildings are on gigantic springs, so if it were every shaken by a blast, or an earthquake the buildings can move independently of the mountain. We got to visit the main control room where (as they explained it) the President (or whomever was in charge) would meet and make decisions. A girl in our class was stading up for too long (with her knees locked) and actually passed out in that room. The medics attend to her, and the tried to charge her $300 or some crap, it was rediculous. It was a very VERY good field trip to say the least. I have heard that since 9-11 they have stopped these sort of tours... can't confirm or deny though.

Lots of you have probably seen the Discovery Channel or History Channel specials about the place. For those of you who haven't, you may be able to find something out at either of their web-sites.

[edit on 5-12-2004 by BroncoFanCam]

[edit on 5-12-2004 by BroncoFanCam]

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Just who I needed to talk to.

I heard about Gold Camp and I couldn't believe it. However, I wasn't told why it is closed down. Do you know why that happened?

I used to go up to Rosemont Reservoir all the time. Was planning on going awhile ago until I heard it was closed. What a bummer.

Appreciate it, thanks.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 07:27 AM
link   
My parents live up in Divide, my Dad does a lot of work in the boonies up there (site investigation and soils testing for new homes) He has had to come down parts of Gold Camp from the backside (Cripple Creek Side) Apparantly there are a couple of old tunnels up there that are about to (or have already) fallen in. There are the 3 down low (near 7 Falls, between there and Bear Creek Park on 21st Street) and they are still open you can drive through anytime. They are supposedly haunted (you decide for yourself, but I believe it) by some miners from the 1800's, and apparently some children died up there as well. We used to go up there frequently at night and hang out.

BTW I like your avatar... I grew up in Colorado, but was born in Ames, my Dad is a graduate of ISU, he could care less about the Hawkeyes, but I have always tried to folow them as well as the Cyclones. (Kinda hard now that I am in Australia though) It's all I can do to keep up on my Broncos from here

top topics

<< 1   >>

join