It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There are four types of drinker – which one are you?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 12:03 PM
link   

It’s easy to see alcohol consumption being a result of thousands of years of ritual and a lifetime of habit. But have you ever stopped to consider why it is you choose to drink? Knowing what motivates people to drink is important to better understanding their needs when it comes to encouraging them to drink less, or in a less harmful way.

Confession time...

For many years I was a binge drinker that evolved into my entire life being one big binge. Daily drinking, drugging and acting out. The perils in being married to Dr. Enabler. One day I became sick and tired of being sick and tired and took steps to become healthy.

www.rawstory.com...
edit on 19-2-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Actually, I'm the fifth type of drinker.

The ones that don't drink as they are plain broke all of the time and have medical issues of which drinking would not be in our best interests.

If I had my own place and some spare change then maybe a celebratory beer and a cigarette would be the order of that day. Until then, all I can do is dream.

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   
There are more than four types of drinkers. Non social drinking because it's good, is not mentioned.

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I drink alone for the most part. Enough to knock out the average elephant.
I tend to moderate if I'm around others.

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
There are more than four types of drinkers. Non social drinking because it's good, is not mentioned.

That's true....from my experience there are many folks out there that drink to self medicate from physical, emotional and environmental pain.
It becomes very dangerous when "stacking" drugs and alcohol, prescription or otherwise.

edit on 19-2-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

It’s easy to see alcohol consumption being a result of thousands of years of ritual and a lifetime of habit. But have you ever stopped to consider why it is you choose to drink? Knowing what motivates people to drink is important to better understanding their needs when it comes to encouraging them to drink less, or in a less harmful way.

Confession time...

For many years I was a binge drinker that evolved into my entire life being one big binge. Daily drinking, drugging and acting out. The perils in being married to Dr. Enabler. One day I became sick and tired of being sick and tired and took steps to become healthy.

www.rawstory.com...

Ummm...I'm a non social drinker...translation...I have a cabinet full of liquor...yet only have a drink or two maybe a couple times a month...and all in the comfort of my home...

When I was a yungun...I would imbibe and partake of most any mind altering substance...and in vast quantities...

These days none of that stuff has any appeal...even drinking is a MEH...
Strangely enough...I feel fairly optimistic most of the time...no need for mood meds...be they prescription or not...

I appreciate the honesty my friend...

YouSir

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I am a non-drinker, I can't afford the lawyers anymore.

I have seen too many people die, or wreck their lives or reputations in one night with alcohol.

It is sad, stop by your local watering hole a decade later, and the same whiny losers will be sitting there complaining about something.

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   
1. Social drinking

Though, I tend to have a higher tolerance and enjoy it a little too much. I seldom drink, maybe once every month or other month but when I do.... Oh boy! It's going to be a fun, drunk night!

Like the responder above, I have a cabinet full of booze at home but I NEVER drink alone. Too damn depressing! I rather be out watching a band or having a long conversation or just cutting up.
edit on 19-2-2018 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I don't fit in any of the categories. It's a culinary thing with me. I like the combination of certain drinks with food. Beer with pizza; red wine with spicy foods; margaritas with Mexican food. I only drink with meals (and not every meal) - never before and never after. Oh, I will occasionally have a glass of wine after a stressful day, but that's pretty rare.

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   

I generally try to just drink alone... social drinking is no good for me.

Just last weekend, I had a work function where we went to a T20 cricket match at the MCG, the big boss was their and everything... Anyway, long story short, I was approached by the police and kicked out... for apparently being "over hydrated".

Next thing I remember, I'm in a taxi outside my apartment block... I jump out of the taxi, go to walk across the road and just go down like a sack of bricks... tbh, I'm fairly sure I must have blacked before hitting the pavement, cause I seriously didn't feel that ground at all!

End result... a massive black eye, Grazes all up the right side of my body and some cracked ribs.

So yeah... think I might keep the "social drinking" to people less prone to that binging type of behaviour from now on... at least when I'm at home by myself, I've got a couch to cushion the fall...

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   

I drink every other Friday when it's karaoke night at the VFW.
But I consume a lot of tequila on those nights. You have to bring your own booze to the post and they provide bar tender services and all the sodas and mixes and charge $2.00 a drink. At the end of the night you have to take your bottle home. Both of us drink tequila and we bring home about 1/4 of a 750ML bottle. I drink sunrises he drinks shots followed by diet cola.
🎶 🍹 Jose Quervo you are a friend of mine.

edit on 2192018 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   

I'm in the over fifty crowd. I guess we're social drinkers.
I am on stage before I finish my first drink so I don't drink to get the courage to sing. Basically I'm a ham. I don't need a reason to get up on a stage or a drink When I discover a band-shell in a park for instance lol. I play diva ...start singing tunes from musicals on broadway. Anyway I digress.

Social drinker.

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Closet drinking or drinking alone? That used to be a sign of a drinking problem but I don't know what they say about those practices these days. I know I don't have a drinking problem so I don't keep track of the signs. I just have what ever data I got in health class a few centuries ago when I was in high school.

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Have a couple of beers after work, at home while I unwind a bit. Don't think it fits into the 4 types here, as when in social situations I tend to abstain more often than not. Especially when out with colleagues, I just won't drink in front of them. It does get me some odd looks while I'm at a company Christmas party or a big client win, but it's one of those self imposed rules for myself to prevent from a slip of the tongue.

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Well i drank to get buzzed (self medication from childhood abuse from a neighbor boy) coping? i drank almost everyday from the time i was 16 till i was 50 when they put me on Paxil for bipolar 2 and deep depression! my desire to drink totally went away and i havent had but 2 beers and 2 drams of single malt (laphroiag 10) in 5 years and i couldn't finnish them! even thourgh the loss of my wife of 20 years! of course my libido went with the drinking! but my girlfriend is ok with it! ( there are many ways to satisfy a woman) [snipped] but im clean now! except for metodone for peripheral
neurapathy of my feet and legs! diabetes related! sorry for a rant

Eta I believe its somthing to do with my metabolism as i can drink three cups of coffee and fall asleep! and my Dr's believe thats kinda weird!
edit on 03 08 2017 by TimHeller because: eta

eta2 i've been in rehab 4 times and had two driving while intoxicated, blackouts at times! twords the end i could drink 3/4 of a 750ml laphroiag and got the buzz i wanted (comfortably numb) with no hangover
edit on 03 08 2017 by TimHeller because: eta2

yeah i miss that buzz i acheved over many years of drinking everything! but i can't do it anymore! but it's for the better of course this way
edit on 03 08 2017 by TimHeller because: eta3

edit on Mon Feb 19 2018 by DontTreadOnMe because: drug use comments removed

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   
The fifth type of drinker is the non drinker.

By the time you get to that stage you are lucky to have survived the other four stages.

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   

When I was working Dope, I was boozing even on My off days.. Then when I went back to Patrol I worked the 'drinks shift' and worked Fri; Sat and Sun from 0700-1930 and had M; T; W and Thur. off, so I'd drink, play golf and then beers after while gambling It was great...

Now I'm a drunk who chooses NOT to drink but am still 'in shape' as 2 is too many and 17 aren't enough...

[snipped]
edit on Mon Feb 19 2018 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   
non drinker, never really been into drinking here. think my childhood years of dealing with drunks kind of turned me off from the whole scene.
is there a classification to that one?

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

I’m there with you.

I have a very well stocked “bar” at home, with none but the better brands, but if I’ve one drink during the month it’s been a very “wet” month!

I’ll have a glass at family functions (family guzzles champagne like it was cold fizzy water and we were all marooned in the hottest part of th Sahara in August), but if I sip my way through a second glass I find myself hard pressed to stay awake.

Hence, I’ve only been “tipsy” once in my life.

The room spins I felt lying on the couch were enough to keep me away from the carousel ever again.

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Did someone mention alcohol? One of the few drugs we are allowed to talk about on ATS?

Well, I've got a few stories, some of which I am not proud of.

The first time I drunk tequila I "woke up" at 4 a.m. in a police cell, kicking and screaming. I had no trousers on, there was a strong leather belt round my waist and the handcuffs I was wearing were connected to the strong leather belt. It took three officers to restrain and detain me. Apparently. I still don't know 100% what happened that night, but when I left the police station the next day both of my legs were covered in bruises all the way up and down on both sides. I also had the boot print of some LEO on my back and a fractured neck vertebrae upon being released with no charge the following day. I kid you not.

I still drink, but not tequila. I hate alcohol. As far as which type I am, I don't know.

ETA I was 30+ at the time. If only the Netherlands had a more liberal policy with regard to the thing we may not discuss here. I think one of the officers may have made racist comments directed at me but only suspect it. I don't remember much but cannot explain my resistance I gave otherwise. I was just looking for my girlfriend who was equally drunk and peaceful.
edit on 19/2/18 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

top topics

<<   2 >>

join