It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mandela Effect - South America Now Even Closer To Africa

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I didn't think I'd want to post anymore Mandela Effects here, but this one caught my eye as it's a 'change to a change'. Actually there have been several jaw-dropping Mandela Effects the last few months - I'm still researching them, and may post them here at a later date.

Now about South America..

If you follow the Mandela Effect, you'll know proponents (including myself) state South America is dramatically further East than we remember.

The title of this post says it all.. South America is now even further East.

We were watching documentaries this afternoon, one of which showed a World Map. The image showed SA much closer to Africa than the last change. I had to look it up - and sure enough, SA is way further East than it's initial movement. Additionally, the 'bulge' of Brazil seems to be enlarged more so than the initial change - perhaps excited to get back to Africa?

There isn't a whole lot to say on it.. Those that are "Effected" (affected) will see what I mean, those that aren't won't; to them the World Map has always looked like this.

It doesn't matter what projection you use..

Wow is all I can say. If it keeps moving, Panama is going to be stretched out of existence.

For extra points, note the size of Alaska - it's now roughly half the size of America.

Edit to add: Here's the link to the full size image:
files.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 18-2-2018 by Pearj because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Pearj

All I see is the same map as always. I think people have this idea south America is directly below north America. It's not.

ETA: Alaska is about 20% the size of the USA, look into how maps stretch the poles due to the earth being a sphere.
edit on 18-2-2018 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 06:47 PM
link   
This is why a lot of people hate this style of world map. You can not take something spherical and directly map it onto a perfect rectangle without crazy amounts of distortion...

What you are seeing is the effect of the style of map, not of any change.

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Yup. A random digitally created map, definitely proves your point.

Absolutely no other proof needs to go into this thread. Nope.

Well done. Well. Done.

Ok ok. /sarcasm.

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pearj
I didn't think I'd want to post anymore Mandela Effects here, but this one caught my eye as it's a 'change to a change'. Actually there have been several jaw-dropping Mandela Effects the last few months - I'm still researching them, and may post them here at a later date.

Now about South America..

If you follow the Mandela Effect, you'll know proponents (including myself) state South America is dramatically further East than we remember.

The title of this post says it all.. South America is now even further East.

We were watching documentaries this afternoon, one of which showed a World Map. The image showed SA much closer to Africa than the last change. I had to look it up - and sure enough, SA is way further East than it's initial movement. Additionally, the 'bulge' of Brazil seems to be enlarged more so than the initial change - perhaps excited to get back to Africa?

There isn't a whole lot to say on it.. Those that are "Effected" (affected) will see what I mean, those that aren't won't; to them the World Map has always looked like this.

It doesn't matter what projection you use..

Wow is all I can say. If it keeps moving, Panama is going to be stretched out of existence.

For extra points, note the size of Alaska - it's now roughly half the size of America.

Edit to add: Here's the link to the full size image:
files.abovetopsecret.com...

Does anyone else actually LOL when they read this stuff? Sorry to break it to you, but this is generally covered in elementary school, if not sooner. No flat map is realistic. Wanna know why? Wait for it... wait for it... because the earth is not flat.

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: bender151

LOL... This isn't a 'I know the earth isn't like this' thing. This is a 'the maps we grew up with were not like this' thing.

Feel free to show the OP a map that looks like he remembers. Can you? No, then quit trying to dismiss this as a well maps aren't accurate... No #, no one is claiming that they are. They are claiming that they've changed from what they distinctly remember.

Jaden

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Masterjaden

Well put..

I think they missed the part that reads "it doesn't matter what projection you use".

No biggie, and thanks for explaining it to them.

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Yes, but the example you have produced, and the point you are trying to make, has Nothing to do with the fabled "Mandela Effect".

What you should have titled your thread as, "why do the current 2 dimensional maps of our Planet Earth, which is a globe or sphere, now place the land masses in a different position, to how I remember or thought I remembered as a younger person?

Yes you are correct, the Maps developed over the past 500 years or so, seem to be different than the "Old Days".

Remember, they are trying to interpolate a sphere into a flat plane.......never really comes out 100%.

A better interpretation is to buy a quality Globe of the Earth.....a much closer representation of our Planet "Now".

It was different in the ancient past, it will be different in the far future.

No Mandela Effect needed.

edit on 18-2-2018 by gort51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 08:07 PM
link   

"it doesn't matter what projection you use".

shouldnt that be the most important thing?
unless you like to delude yourself.

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Ah Mandela effect people, rather than accepting the inherit fallibility of human memory, they would rather believe they were magically trasported to an alternate universe where random pointless things are changed.

This is going to be hard for you to here-

You have been, are, and will be wrong many times in your life.

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 08:32 PM
link   
My own perceptions have the narrowing Atlantic between S America and Africa as stable since it's first seeming 1100 km contraction a few years ago.

So maybe I've stayed stable in the 'verse and you shifted, again? If so, nice to meet this version of you.

I'd love to find my may back to my original version of home in the multiverse, where I knew how to spell dilemna and society wasn't quite so ... er... simple minded.

Meh, maybe I'll wake to the reality where I lusted after money and prestige and have a nice home and car... gotta look for the silver linings of reality morphing.

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

For me, the second move is only slight compared to the first..

..but I know what you mean - I miss the "old world" too, and it does seem like we notice 'shifts' at different times.. ..and I'll say it bluntly - the people here are much ruder and closed minded.

At any rate - thank you for responding. Good to hear from a fellow affected person. It'll be interesting to to see what the future brings.

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 11:03 PM
link   

I'm sure aome has pointed it out already, but being in a hurry I had little time to read replies...

What I'm seeing is one map projection that differs slightly from another map projection that I'm most familiar with. There are multiple world map projections with different distortions. This map shows south America closer to Africa than the one I'm used to. Mandella effect? No, it's just not the map projection that you are most accustomed to.

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 11:12 PM
link   
YA...no tellin, huh!!

Greenland......in actuality it's small....not really the size of the known universe

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 11:13 PM
link   

I have to eat my words to my original rwply to you. Afyer taking the time to look at most of the different established projections I see what you are getting at.

Foot in mouth over here.

But... I'm still rather skeptical of the Mandella Effect.

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 07:37 AM
link   

I could be wrong...but a lot of the hard core M.E. people that are utterly certain of themselves being dimensional travelers because some book is spelled differently than they recall or some other totally random wtf thing...

Its kind of insulting to actual travelers...like the ones that found dimensions where people are telepathic and most are insane sociopaths, too.

Imagine the "gang stalking" that goes on in that world...especially if youre an outsider.

Three words for it. Welcome to Hell.

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 08:03 AM
link   
en.m.wikipedia.org...

A map projection is a systematic transformation of the latitudes and longitudes of locations from the surface of a sphere or an ellipsoid into locations on a plane.[1] Mapscannot be created without map projections. All map projections necessarily distort the surface in some fashion. Depending on the purpose of the map, some distortions are acceptable and others are not; therefore, different map projections exist in order to preserve some properties of the sphere-like body at the expense of other properties. There is no limit to the number of possible map projections.[2]:1

I recommend reading up on map projections and how maps are made. I wish everyone would do that before posting one of these. Oh my god the shape of the planet is different threads.

Flat maps will never be a truly accurate representation of the Earth. Any map we make is made using some kind of map projection that alters the shapes of the land forms to fit our spheroid world onto a square piece of paper. Things end up looking bigger or smaller or further apart depending on which projection you use, which dependd on the purpose of the map being created.
edit on 19/2/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I have a book published in 1897 called "The Story of our planet". In it is a colour plate of the Atlantic. I photographed it with my phone and placed that image alongside the one in the OP. I have matched the size of South America by simply altering the image size until it was a fit (no stretching or anything, just telling it how big the image needs to be). The two red arrows are the same length, as are the two yellow ones.

There are doubtless small errors thanks to me photographing the page, but you get the idea.

Next.
edit on 19/2/2018 by OneBigMonkeyToo because: clarity

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: filthyphilanthropist

Your honesty is incredibly refreshing - thank you. It also takes guts to effectively say 'I know what I know' in the midst of heat it inspires. To stand on your own speaks to your character vs the easy route most take following the pack. As you know, people react very differently to the Mandela Effect than other phenomena, so stay strong.

Skeptical is exactly what you should be. There are a few Effects out there I'm not 100% certain on.

If I may suggest, try not to get too wrapped up in the cause of the Mandela Effect. None of us really know.. We all had a 'breaking period' (like you break a horse) coping with the reality of a changing reality - past that is anyone's guess. Ie: I'm a map geek - the map is what broke me.

Here's an example of what I mean about people stuck on the cause of the Mandela Effect. My whole family is "Effected", my wife's family too. A few are awe-struck, a few are at neutral buoyancy as though their awaiting a verdict... but there's one person that is violently upset at the subject. He states angrily that 'he and his house believe in God'. He equates the changing reality he's aware of as an affront to God and effectively tries to hide himself from it. On the flip side, I'm a Christian too but don't feel that way at all. Note: Not all "Effected" are people of faith, and it isn't only an American thing (myth).

For me, the behavior of the unaffected is telling in it's own right. Very strange. Additionally, many of those unaffected will tell you my whole family is affected because the Effects are common mistakes. Wrong - my whole family will tell you SA isn't where they remember - yet there are folks that seem to honestly feel SA is exactly where they remember. Go figure.

At any rate - if you have questions, post 'em here or PM me.. If you're breaking period is too much to bear, and I can't help; then I may be able to find someone for you.

Sorry to of gone on, and thanks again for your honesty - a rare commodity 'round these parts.

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 12:33 PM
link   
That's how the Portuguese got to Brazil before the Spanish.
There's a theory that they knew about Brazil before it was officially discovered, and that's why the Pope's demarcation line between Spain and Portugal got shifted westwards.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join