It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alan "The Needle" Dershowitz

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 04:45 PM
link   
In early November controversy irrupted on the internet over Harvard Law Professor Alan Dershowitz�s proposal to legalize torture in the United States to extract information from terrorism suspects.

The fact that a noted "civil libertarian" and critic of the Bush theft of the White House could make a serious pitch to a liberal New York audience for legalized torture -- and not get booed off the stage -- tells us just how close we are to the acceptance of police state methods in the wake of September 11.

"There�s no absolute right not to be tortured."

Yep, there is no absolute right not to be tortured. May be we can start with him ?

Today a terrorist. Tomorrow a possible terrorist. And after tomorrow ? An ATS user because his/her post is not " correct " ?

He's a real Democrat.

[Edited on 1-7-2003 by ultra_phoenix]

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I agree, its inhumane.
And even so im sure they use torture as it is.
We just dont know about it.
Thiers many forms of torture, may it be physical or physcological ( i think the spelling is wrong).
Deep

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 04:59 PM
link   
let's see if we can try on these catch phrases...

"Ve have ways of making you talk."
"your pahpas pleese.."

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Yeah, there's really no need to engage in physical torture methods anymore. The psychological effects are generally longer lasting, as well. You aim a sonic cannon & high-freq. strobe at someone for a few minutes and you'll have them singing an opera of your choosing.

I'm against physical torture, and even more against psychological torture. The problem is that the more you torture people, the more they'll be willing to lie just to have the abuse stopped. Its really pointless and inhumane.

posted on Jul, 2 2003 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by ultra_phoenix
In early November controversy irrupted on the internet over Harvard Law Professor Alan Dershowitz�s proposal to legalize torture in the United States to extract information from terrorism suspects.

The fact that a noted "civil libertarian" and critic of the Bush theft of the White House could make a serious pitch to a liberal New York audience for legalized torture -- and not get booed off the stage -- tells us just how close we are to the acceptance of police state methods in the wake of September 11.

"There�s no absolute right not to be tortured."

Yep, there is no absolute right not to be tortured. May be we can start with him ?

Today a terrorist. Tomorrow a possible terrorist. And after tomorrow ? An ATS user because his/her post is not " correct " ?

He's a real Democrat.

[Edited on 1-7-2003 by ultra_phoenix]

I agree that this idea is ridiculous. But what on earth does his being a member of the Democratic party have to with this? I realize that you hate people like me (I am a Democrat) but why does this play into EVERY post you make? I am waiting for you to blame alien abdutions on Democrats next. Your seething hatred towards a party in ANOTHER country from your own is strange. I never hear you complaining about Belgian politics. Why is that? Do you even follow politics in your own country?
This constant railing against a party that you can't even do anything about grows tiresome.

Dershowitz is an idiot because he is an idiot not because of his political party.

[Edited on 2-7-2003 by observer]

posted on Jul, 2 2003 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Sorry observer. I wasn't refering to the Democrat Party when I wrote " he's a real Democrat ". I was refering to his behavior who's not democratic. I think Democrat Party and Republicans Party are both democratic party.
I just did a mistake. I had to write " he's not a real democrat ", without the capital letter " D ". My fault.

But you didn't say anything about this : " The fact that a noted "civil libertarian" and critic of the Bush theft of the White House could make a serious pitch to a liberal New York audience for legalized torture -- and not get booed off the stage -- tells us just how close we are to the acceptance of police state methods in the wake of September 11. "

" and not get booed off the stage "........
Surprising and shocking. As it will be surprising and shocking if he wasn't get booed to a Republican audience.

You know the saying : " If you don't say anything, it means you agree ". Does it mean the Democrat peoples at the audience were agreeing ? That's the question.

Also, it's not that I hate Democrats. It's just that I don't agree with them on many points. Anti-gun laws, abortions laws, no religious teaching at school, using words as " Afro-Americans " and not just " Americans " ( then, why not " Euro-Americans " for the whites," Asia-Americans " for the yellows..... ? ).....

But I don't hate you.

posted on Jul, 2 2003 @ 07:51 AM
link   
And thank GOD our ideas are different. If we all thought the same way this would be a wicked boring world this would be.

The idea that Dershowitz spoke of such a thing and was pegged with 100 rotten tomatos is disturbing however. This country is in a perpetual state of panic and I can see the slow spread of the police state mentality in a lot of people.

posted on Jul, 2 2003 @ 07:57 AM
link   
this is going to get a hell of a lot worse, before it gets better. We're going to see a lot of people just roll over, and let go of their rights....before we see them demand them back. And once taken away, they aren't near as simple to get back....

posted on Jul, 2 2003 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by observer
And thank GOD our ideas are different. If we all thought the same way this would be a wicked boring world this would be.

Sure...sure....But I was expecting another kind of answer. Sigh...

posted on Jul, 2 2003 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ultra_phoenix

Originally posted by observer

Sure...sure....But I was expecting another kind of answer. Sigh...

Mercy UP, I hope you weren't expecting me to defend this idea!

new topics

top topics

join