It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone actually believe constant warfare will give battle hardened soldiers?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 12:08 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT
Negative. We live in the future. Children are indoctrinated to adore conflict from the moment they watch Loony Tunes and play video games. Mind control has become quite proficient and effective. Even with the economy looking up, there is no shortage of volunteers to fill our ranks with every passing year. It will in fact become even more endearing and attractive to subsequent generations as autonomous platforms and remote controlled machines proliferate to the battlefield on an order of magnitude much greater than today.

Welcome to the new age. The overwhelming majority of Americans do not even think about the global ware anymore. Ask the next ten strangers you talk to, that is if you speak to random people throughout your day like normal people should, if they even have any idea on which countries our armed forces are operating in today that put American lives at risk.

You may catch an Iraq and Afghanistan. If you get Syria as a reply, consider yourself lucky. If somebody mentioned Somalia, Yemen, or Philippines, you really found an informed person. It could even be a basis of meeting people with like interests, as those who read about these things frequently read about shared conspiracy interests as well, and may share some political beliefs with you.

I am en expert conversationist. I can turn a stranger into a friend and find out much about their life including political leanings, family status, spiritual beliefs, and career goals within fifteen minutes. And I can start it with something as simple as "Hello, my name is ... and you are? What did you think of this new movie/book/video game recently?"

If I get a response to something that simple, I am in. You would be surprised how much information people are willing to disclose about themselves to strangers when you are polite and smile.

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I hope everyone that wants war dies of a heart attack tomorrow.

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 12:28 AM
link   
DBL
edit on 18-2-2018 by SR1TX because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 12:47 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Deleted my post before I read yours. You'r probably right.

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 01:59 AM
link   
it makes the corporations rich .
leaves regular people physically & mentally scarred along with increases suicide rates .

so go ahead waste your health and life fighting for corporations and politicians to get richer at your expense along with a public that spits on you if you survive and return home .

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Experience is extremely highly valued in the military. More so than any other measure of a service member.

Experience coupled with technical knowledge in soldier skills/battle drills, realistic training, and actually deploying to engage the enemy does harden a soldier.

I got a whole lot better at my job after repeated CTC rotations. By the time I deployed I was highly proficient at the technical and tactical side. By the end of my deployment, I had applied so much of that knowledge, to such a high range of situations, that I could perform while asleep.

I came back knowing nearly every detail of my job and how to lead soldiers effectively in combat. As a result, as an air assault company, we managed to lead several battalion and brigade level training events with absolute precision.

If we had to deploy again within a short period of time, we'd be able to and we'd take over the mission command and controls seamlessly.

"Hardening" means something to military units, and it seems like it means something else to everyone else.

Hardening is about experience, training, application, and learning from all of those things to develop future warfare doctrines and training.

We wanted to deploy again, because each deployment was focused only on warrior tasks and battle drills, no drill and ceremony, no bull# details, no congressionally mandated sensitivity training. Its just you and the enemy. Every deployment is different, but every deployment reinforces those skills.

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 03:49 AM
link   
There is something to be said on both sides.
The Crimean War found the British army badly prepared, because they had not been fighting wars.
The Boer war found the British army badly prepared, because they had been fighting and preparing for the wrong kind of wars.
Would Afghanistan and Iraq really be the right preparation for a war with China, which would have to be a naval war?

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 03:51 AM
link   
The reason why the Royal Navy was so successful historically is that it was always at sea. Thus, it was well trained.

WW2 demonstrated that experience and military doctrine was the key to success. For example, the Brits defeated Japanese armies in the Far East because their military doctrine changed and adapted - the Japanese was slower. In the early stages of the war the British military was always on the back foot playing catch up as it converted itself from a small peacetime force to something capable of taking on Nazi Germany, Italy and Japan. The French army was defeated because it ran out of time to "catch up", and the French paid a heavy price in that defeat.

When the Americans decided to joining WW2 they too had to catch up, but once they had absorbed their initial mauling in North Africa they demonstrated that experience and adaptability was the key to success.

Battle hardening in today's world is about evolutionary change. Whether it's body armour or precision munitions. Take the evolution of dealing with IEDs, or battlefield medicine in the last two decades as an example of change based on experience.

A clear perspective of change was demonstrated in the Battle of the Atlantic where the dominant U-Boat was brought to heel by changed tactics and technology i.e. the application of battle experience.
edit on 18/2/2018 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 05:30 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

We still train for the horde and total war.

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 05:35 AM
link   
constant warfare means only moore damaged peopple and to much loose guns in society..

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   
The problem is not continual combat. Fighting troops can sustain full combat capability, including mental stability, if they are properly trained equipped and supported. The problems start when combat veterans are disregarded and left unsupported after the prolonged stress of conflict.
edit on 18-2-2018 by CulturalResilience because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: makemap

Most likely BS. I mean when it comes to recent wars the US and UK have used countries that are either to small to have an army or one that depends so much on NATO protection or the US armed forces that the armies in those small countries IS the US army. I'm not actually sure it would be a selling point either for the States to say they've got the best combat experienced men and women because it just proves how often they get into wars.

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Just another excuse for endless wars. There is no good reason for most wars. Being battle hardened seems like more of a bad thing anyway.

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: wakeupstupid

I guess you are one of those who fell for the lies. Reason why I haven't joined the army because they force you to go into a stupid war which I'm not going to be specific about it, but even Canada went to Afghanistan war on so called terror when they could've stayed out. What happened to the whole "Home Defense doctrine"? On the other hand joining Chinese army seems to have more hope of getting out because they haven't been sending troops into war since the last cold war. The only recent war they have is being in UN(africa) or special forces against ISIS. The west seems to be in a constant war just like Africa.
edit on 18-2-2018 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: makemap

Maybe it's the definition of "battle hardened".

There is a window of stress that combat induces which is "productive". Once the Soldier goes past that window, his/her efficiency drops off in a big way.

If you constantly deploy that Soldier and put him/her in those positions, what do you think happens?

Obviously, if we are looking at improved technology or improved tactics, long periods of warfare help.

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: makemap
a reply to: wakeupstupid

I guess you are one of those who fell for the lies. Reason why I haven't joined the army because they force you to go into a stupid war which I'm not going to be specific about it, but even Canada went to Afghanistan war on so called terror when they could've stayed out. What happened to the whole "Home Defense doctrine"? On the other hand joining Chinese army seems to have more hope of getting out because they haven't been sending troops into war since the last cold war. The only recent war they have is being in UN(africa) or special forces against ISIS. The west seems to be in a constant war just like Africa.

the cinese have had border skirmishes with india . they also got their asses kicked by the vietnamese . theres also incidents in xinjiang province with islamic militants that are handled by the chinese army .
only difference is china doesnt use its military for empire building and enriching corporations and corrupt politicians .

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: KungfuStu
Sure, but only as long as they survive, and survive in style, you know no PSTD and a variety of other things. So yes your right. But hey, if American army did not enjoy the technological superiority in weapons and a verity of other things, what would be the point of being battle hardened when your staring down the barrel of a cruise missile coming at you and you don't even know it and your armed with only an old soviet riffle?

ou could be the most battle hardened soldier in the field the Rambo of Rambo, but it would be pretty dam hard to physically dodge a cruse missile is what I am saying.

You see my point? In fact I kind of forgot what the point of this thread was, or what I was getting at in my other posts on here. But anyways, I think battle hardened just varies in interpretations and meanings.

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 10:33 PM
link   

I mean after all, every single soldier in our service has volunteered to be in their position. There is no draft. If people want to war, let them war. It keeps us up to date with gadgets and resources to numb our minds and pretend none of it exists.

Hey and I for one salute them for that, or to an extent. You see many people believe that if America did not stick there nose and army in every place and nation or culture around the globe, that there would be no war or no battles. In fact, disband the military, and what would be the first thing that would happen?

Likely another nations bigger military would come by and tell you how to live and what to do, and a variety of other such things. It is how things have been for ages, from group of wondering ape men, to tribes, to towns, to cities, to civilizations. Its part and parcel of human nature, in fact not even human nature. But nature itself.

So if if what you said above did not exist at all, war would still exist, and most likely you all would be on the other side of the fence, you know the gadget-less and resource less side, but you would still be mind numbed, only in a different way. Now imagine what the world would be like if Saudi Arabia was the one and only technical and militaristic society in the world? Or any number of nations or countries? Oh ya, shenanigans a plenty to say the least.

In fact the military is not even a necessary evil, as good and evil is just an invention people created, one everybody is very opinionated on. But the military, well it's just plain necessary. And that has not changed yet, there may be a day were everybody will hold hands and sing together in a circle, but I don't see that day coming any time soon or ever.

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: galadofwarthethird
You are correct sir. I have being singing that song for a long time.

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Ya, its not all roses and cookies or much of a pretty picture, but it is what it is.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join