It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quote. . . I'm going to be a professional school shooter. . . . Unquote

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

None of the things he said were illegal to say. There are certain things you can say which will draw attention from authorities (and rightfully so) because it is their job to protect the public. That is not an attack on free speech.

It's context. You literally just typed what could be perceived as a threat to the public in the thread title. If it gets noticed, somebody will make the logical assessment that you were just talking about free speech and weren't actually saying that. If you were actually saying that, you would hopefully have some eyes on you.

Simply typing what you did and knowing you suffered no consequence for doing so should be proof of concept for you that our freedom of speech is fully intact.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I was watching some pundit on cnn or the like the other night strongly recommending a social media police force in every locale who would be resposible to do nothing but monitor and subjectively decide who to bring in for evaluation against their will. Basically track everyone's activity and apply an internet score.

His reasoning was that China does not have school shootings.

What could possibly go wrong...

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Being a "professional" means getting paid to do something.

Who is going to pay him? The only person I can think of that might pay someone to shoot up a public facility is Obama or Eric Holder since they have donated guns to criminals and cartel gangsters that have used them to kill government officials.

Maybe that aspect should be investigated.

Nah..never mind... It's okay when they do it.
edit on 17-2-2018 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Right. Thought police.

That's the first thing that pops into my mind when it comes to a teenager who killed small animals, was considered to be "the one who would shoot the school up," who made posts about "I want to be a professional school shooter," and was expelled from school.

Definitely no red flags or warning signs there. Not at all.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Zarniwoop

His reasoning was that China does not have school shootings.

His reason is bat snip whacko.

WHACKO!
edit on 17-2-2018 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   

There is none.. and that isn’t new or some potential threat.

Free speech vs. what’s inciting violence has constantly changed and shifted. It has always been a subjective measurement with a huge grey area..

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Well the guy was clearly unhinged, it's called 'skull shooting' which somehow looks worse-even though it's a legit sport.

If a avid fisherman posted 'I'm gonna blow me up a school' he means a school of fish, but that could be misconstrued as 'im going to blow up a school' i.e a learning institute. Personally I'm not a fisherman but some do use the old method of throwing dynamite into water. If I posted 'it's time to hack n' slash' I could be suggesting I was going to carve up the neighbors, play Diablo or have to urinate-hack n' slash has multiple meanings.

It's hard for the authorities to keep up with the lingo so it's understandable when mistakes are made. If I were to say 'that cop went Leroy Jenkins' Not many people on ATS would get the reference, let alone the FBI.
edit on 17-2-2018 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Research what "Free Speech" protects. It doesn't protect threats of bodily harm or death to others.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 12:14 PM
link   
At what point do we ask the question of inevitability?

It is very clear that the school had armed people and leo's had around 40 or 50 chances to stop him or get him help.

I think that just like every civilizations before us they all had death and many of them knew it and would sacrifice.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Engaging people making such threats isnt thought policing at all. Its threat assessment. In most cases you iust impress on the kid that its not a jole and move on. In this kids case it may have went differently.

I see nothing wrong with engaging in conversation people who make wild and violent statements. Arresting without cause, etc....no. That is not right.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
a reply to: intrptr

If you notice your neighbour has five chained up naked toddlers in his cellar you just keep on "minding your own business"?

What a stupid question.

Have you always had this condition or is this something new?

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: Willtell

Freedom just like anything in life is relative.

There’s no such thing as absolute freedom.

Yes there is, as long as you aren't infringing on other peoples freedom, the same as yours, you should be able to do whatever you want.

You aren't free to meddle in other peoples or other nations affairs.

Thats not freedom. Freedom is minding your own business, until someone meddles in your business.

Well that is not absolute freedom is it? You just put stipulations on it. Absolute freedom would be freedom with no stipulations. Which could never exist.

more dumb down award going too...

Your right to 'individual' freedom leaves off where others begin. The key word here is individual freedom.

The right to do what you want, as long as it doesn't interfere with other peoples rights to their individual freedom.

Don't they teach this in schools anymore?

I know its pretty much written off, day to day existence. Look at other countries 'rights', US violates that all the time, lol in the name of freedom.

Rofl, they even call their missions "Iraqi Freedom, Enduring Freedom", like that.

Fall off chair convulsing.

But don't ever lol, violate--lol, our freedoms-- spazzes out, dies of laughter.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

""Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire."" - Abbie Hoffman

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Really?

In what possible context does a normal person issue a statement to the effect they want to be a professional school shooter? You make threats against political figures, you hear from the FBI or the Secret Service. No one's denying your right to free speech, you can "say" stuff like that on the Internet, but.........that doesn't mean the authorities can't take action on them. And if that's chilling free speech? Yea, well maybe in a culture as depraved and degenerate as this one, its time to reign in some so-called free speech!

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Tough row to hoe
In this case or any I would think there's a pattern of behavior indicating these are more than just thoughts and have become obsession. But yeah you have a very valid point.
edit on 2172018 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

What tripe...

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I saw on the news here in the UK, that there had been around 20 occasions in the past 2 years. That the local police had reports about this guy and had to call to see him. The FBI were to busy checking up on the Russians, so that nothing else matters to them. So things like this ie- a nutter. Are bound to happen time and again as people are more worried about the red under the bed syndrome. Than anything that is really happening in the states. What a crazy world we live in.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

No I am serious. After all you say I have to assume you would mind your own business because you value some twisted form of freedom.

So I'm guessing it's a stupid question because it's obvious you would just ignore the situation?

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

Whats obvious is your attempt to falsely accuse others of something in order to discredit them, that also has nothing to do with this thread.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Yeah, but the contexts here are different.

If I simply type about wanting to be a professional school shooter like I just did. We are not in a school, I don't have any guns, and I'm doing this to make a point.

If I go to a movie tonight and suddenly stand up a yell, "FIRE!!!!" at the top of my lungs, I might create a very real panic that causes a stampeded in which people might hurt themselves or others.

In the first case, no one is in direct danger because of what I type. In the second case, I am directly creating a dangerous situation through my actions which is why I can't hide behind free speech.

At best, the first case is an indication there may be something going on worth investigating. Do I have any mental health referrals? Am I an unhappy person? Have I purchased any firearms recently and an unusual amount of them or of ammunition? What does my social media say? After all of that ... where do you go? Am I a threat or not?

And in this case with Cruz, there were numerous warning from numerous sources, not just that one comment.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join