It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quote. . . I'm going to be a professional school shooter. . . . Unquote

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Are we seeing the inception of "thought police"?

What is the difference between signs of an impending mass shooting and free speech?

Obviously, the guy was a nut, a monster. There were multiple signs that he was planning something horrific. And he did something horrific.

But as I watch the media and posters and pundits talk about what was missed and how the authorities should have acted, I have to think about the fine line between threats and free speech.

Do people actually want to sacrifice their freedom of speech for the illusion of safety?

Just my thought for the day.

+17 more 
posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Screaming fire in a crowded theater is free speech but it will get you arrested. There ARE limits to free speech.

+5 more 
posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Meh I have no illusions of safety, don't fear much, but I hate the amount of genetic rejects like this toad mucking up my world.

Actions speak as loud as words, this freak should have been institutionalized after he gushed over his animal kills.
Always a sure sign of impending psychotic carnage.

K~

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

What is the difference between signs of an impending mass shooting and free speech?

Obviously, the guy was a nut, a monster. There were multiple signs that he was planning something horrific. And he did something horrific.

But as I watch the media and posters and pundits talk about what was missed and how the authorities should have acted, I have to think about the fine line between threats and free speech.

Do people actually want to sacrifice their freedom of speech for the illusion of safety?

Just my thought for the day.

Looking back in hindsight knowing what was / is known about the guy, saying he wants to be a professional school shooter seems obvious. However, hindsight is 20/20. That quote by itself without knowing anything else about the person really tells us nothing.

We can't arrest people for just saying stupid sh*t.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT
Screaming fire in a crowded theater is free speech but it will get you arrested. There ARE limits to free speech.

The thing is there is a difference in those scenarios. Yelling fire in a crowded theater could get someone killed because of the context. On the internet, comment sections are filled with trolls. You don't know what is real or not.

Everyone has stated something in anger/frustration. I can't tell you how many times I've said "If XYZ doesn't happen, then I'm going to blow this mofo up..." in jest. However, I'd never say that say at an airport to a ticket agent for instance even if I didn't mean it literally.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

Screaming fire in a crowded theater is free speech

It is not (protected) free speech.

Schenck v. US

The most stringent protection of free speech would not protect a man in falsely shouting fire in a theatre and causing a panic.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

That nutjob woman who held up a fake of President Trump's severed head should have been arrested and jailed.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 11:04 AM
link   

ok - i has to ask :

1 is " school shootings " renumerated by a single flat rate per school shot . or is the gig " peiece work " - with a payment // victim ??? and is the a different rate for injured // dead ??? - are shot teachers // parents and students paid out at the same rate , and lastly - is ammunition expenditure reclaimable under expences ??

it seemms a very niche market

can " proffesional school shooters " - back claim for schools they have already shot - or do contracts have to be pre approved ???

it all seems very vague - maybe a handbook is needed

edit on 17-2-2018 by ignorant_ape because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT

Not if there's actually a fire or you genuinely think there's a fire when you yell it.

If you yell it when you know there's no fire and with the intent for people to be trampled ...that's where the limit is.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I always say, nothing is completely free. One cannot threaten a president, or as Charles pointed out, one can’t cry fire when it isn’t a fire, one can’t go into certain places and just start calling people racial slurs.

They say France is free but you say certain bigoted language and you could easily go to jail.

Freedom just like anything in life is relative.

There’s no such thing as absolute freedom.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 11:11 AM
link   

No, the ones sacrificing our freedom of expression are afraid that unchecked expression will lead to a revolution. They know what they do is illegal, they are making the world safer for them, at our cost.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
Freedom of speech just like anything in life is relative.

Funny how politicians and pundits throughout the history of America have lead people to believe otherwise.

Maybe we need to re-think yelling "Fire!!" in a crowded theater.

Personally, I'm an advocate of "The worst beating of your life" and in many cases "Tarring and Feathering".

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 11:16 AM
link   

The quote by itself wouldn't be much, but the rumored history this person had with the local police and school should have lit up even the dimmest bulb at the fbi.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   

It's not about thought crime. But some troubled younglings have chosen social media to make their threats/cries for help.
It's not about criminalising them but checking in how serious it is and if they need help.

link   
a reply to: Willtell

Yes there is, as long as you aren't infringing on other peoples freedom, the same as yours, you should be able to do whatever you want.

You aren't free to meddle in other peoples or other nations affairs.

Thats not freedom. Freedom is minding your own business, until someone meddles in your business.

link   
To the OP's question:

sure sounded like it from all the talking heads the 3 days following. It's odd how they all called for the same thing, had the same research, and research that had to take a long time to get, not a quick google/wiki search, and it was choreographed on all the networks. Sure sounds like a propaganda machine prepping the peep's for something. Arresting someone for simply POSING with a gun! F that ! talk about total BS. They are talking about crossing all kinds of lines, all for he "kids". If they want to do something, they should act like good role models.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

If you notice your neighbour has five chained up naked toddlers in his cellar you just keep on "minding your own business"?

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   

They do.

Actual crimes need not apply.

We've seen that play out with boom sticks.

We've seen them snip all over the second, now they are going after the first.

We are now looking at Assault pencils and papers.

For effs sake.
edit on 17-2-2018 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: Willtell

Yes there is, as long as you aren't infringing on other peoples freedom, the same as yours, you should be able to do whatever you want.

You aren't free to meddle in other peoples or other nations affairs.

Thats not freedom. Freedom is minding your own business, until someone meddles in your business.

Well that is not absolute freedom is it? You just put stipulations on it. Absolute freedom would be freedom with no stipulations. Which could never exist.
edit on 17-2-2018 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

DB, Cruz made that statement on a social website, with his own name, and it was reported on MSM as the FBI saying that they couldn't trace him, I heard that myself. Now, I don't know how much that story has changed since, but it has also been reported that the FBI was a regular visitor to Cruz's abode. One or both of those may be correct, I don't know, only that they were reported on MSM. However, making that statement on the social media should have started a really intense analysis by the authorities right away, it's a big red flag, nothing to do with free speech that's for sure. That's the way it is, you can say what you like, but there can, and should be ramifications as to what you say, and in this case, actually do.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join