It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The real advancement of science and technology

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 04:13 AM
link   
You cant help being some what amazed when you read about some of the scientific and tecnological breakthroughs weve made in the past 100 years but i cant help thinking that it would be far more beneficial to give some of our more simple inventions to the masses of the third world.
For example hydro electric power is easily achieved with a basic water wheel driving through a tractor gearbox which then drives 12 or 24 volt alternators,these then charge normal automotive batterys which can be used to give basic lighting in homes.....obviously you need to recharge them and the cost of the batterys would be an expense initially but the actual idea of the wheel is simple and easy to construct and maintain with the most basic of engineering skills.
If we could educate local communitys (in areas where they have streams or rivers )then for a relativeley small fee we can help people previously living in very basic and primative conditions to further their understanding of what they can achieve without huge amounts of cash and industry.

What other science and technology do you think we could immplicate in these poor under developed places with relative ease?

Regards.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 05:36 AM
link   

What other science and technology do you think we could immplicate in these poor under developed places with relative ease?

It's simple really, computer technology with 100% open source software and the manuals in the local language(s) that teach in simplest terms how to first use the computer, then the internet, then try to coax some of the more interested ones into programming and it snowballs from there. There is a volunteer program if you want to try out(there are rigourous tryouts to find the right people for the "tour of duty" as they ominously put it, they may be right too heh)

www.technologyreview.com...

Check out this link too, talks about training Ghanians how to use "Fab Labs"

www.wired.com...

[edit on 16-2-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Sardion what good is open source computing going to do for a community with no power or phone lines?

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Well I was also taking for granted that they would choose places where there is some power. They could also couple this program with the Solar Power program that is starting to pick up steam as Panels go down in price and go up in effiency. Think out of the box, the best way to lift africa out of its Dark Age is education. Sorry if I wasn't being clear, its a project that needs alot of work still but if continued support in all the areas I mentioned could produce results alot faster then dept relief.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 05:57 AM
link   
See I think the best project of this type is the "methane power generation" project. It is very simple technology, uses as feul a omnipresent fuel source which is infinately renewable, and costs nothng.
Afterall as anyone on this board knows, # is everywehere, everybody spews it out, and they are more than happy to give you a mouthful.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Why? Sunlight is plentiful in africa. Solar is perfect, and for coastal area's Tidal would be a very smart idea. But I guess down the line, when they start to produce alot of waste they could start harnessing Methane from dumps much like we do here in some places, it would be more efficient that way I believe. Hmm... More ideas, lets brainstorm for a bit I'm in the mood.

mwm, you might know more about this then I do, but isn't there some tamper proof and meltdown proof small scale Nucular reactors in the works for just this purpose? I think I read an article in Wired about it a while back...

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 06:11 AM
link   
I relly dnt know in refernence t small scale nuclear reactors. The problem with solar cells is the cost of producing the cells.
Think of the images you have seen of sub saharan africa, these are people too poor to afford rice, much less solar panels.
Yes we could simply give them some but I dont think that would help in the long run. A better approach IMHO is to help them use readily available and free resources from thier local areas to improve thier standards of lving while at the same time teaching them the basic scientific and engineering principles needed to be able to teach others to do the same.
Everybody has to defecate anyway, might as well put it to good use.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Everybody has to defecate anyway, might as well put it to good use.

True, I'll give you that. But did you forget that the cost of manufacturing certain types of solar cells just dropped by like 2/3rds recently? I'll try to find the links. Nano + Solar = Cheap Solar Panels. Maybe in the near term(as in the next couple of years), your idea would be more feasable for the poorest of the poor. I guess we have differing opinions on the matter but thats ok by me, anymore ideas? I'm tapped right now, have to go work now I'll check in on this thread later and hopefully will have the link to the solar breakthrough. I believe ATSNN covered it and there was also some ATS threads about it, if that helps if you decide to do a search on your own.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 07:08 AM
link   
thanks guys you both have good points but what i was hinting at was more along the lines that there is no doubt anything you use will need maintanence at some point and it has to be simple to repair!
solar energy is good but you cant easily educate people whove never even owned a watch to grasp the basics of it in a short amount of time,so when it goes wrong where do you go....youre in the hands of an engineer.
The example of the water wheel is easier to breakdown,

1.wheel buckets fill with water,wheel turns,
2.wheel drives gear box,flywheel on gear box turns alternators with belt,
3.connect 2 wires to battery,
4.battery charged,makes light work,
5.lights go dim,battery taken for recharge.

its easy to watch this simple process and very easy to understand in lay mans terms,the faults that could arise are easy to rectify.

ie,

1.wheel buckets replaced when damaged.
2.keep gearbox topped up with oil.
3.alternator 'charge light' refuses to go out...indicates alternator faulty--replace alternator...(very cheap servicble item)
4.battery no longer makes light work replace battery.

i think this explains better what i meant.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I think we are doning the best we can already. WE need to keep as many countries fihting, killing and starving to death as possible. It's better for us. The last thing we need is more competition.

In fact I'm all in favor of a good disease culling out half the population. It would solve most of our problems. I know that is cold but its the truth.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 10:17 AM
link   

In fact I'm all in favor of a good disease culling out half the population. It would solve most of our problems. I know that is cold but its the truth.

ok dude...whatever....it kind of boils down to how your brain works,personally i think your post was a waste of space....what if a 'good disease' culled half your family?....im sure youd feel different.

were not doing the best we can by a long shot,you cant save the world but all but for the grace of god you werent born in some 3 rd world poverty hell trap where you have to trek for half the day so you can eat?

a little means alot to these people-dont ever deny anyone education.

join