It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple devices crashing from new bug

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 10:33 AM
link   

The latest bug causes application meltdown when it tries to render two characters in Telugu, a language from south India.

the problem arises when an unscrupulous troll sends the symbols directly to devices, effectively triggering a notification bomb that locks up the phone.

It can also wreak havoc when deployed as an SSID (service set identifier) in a WiFi network. For instance, if a user were to input the offending Unicode symbols in their SSID and then use their device as a WiFi hotspot, they could, theoretically, flash crash all Apple devices within range
Source

Apple devices are the victims of yet another catastrophic bug. Someone discovered that sending certain characters from the Telugu language to an Apple device crashes it. This raises some interesting possibilities. One user apparently tested this bug on Uber drivers, which seemed to crash every Apple-using Uber driver's phone. By requesting a ride while using these particular characters, the nearest Uber driver's phone crashed, subsequently sending the request to the next closest driver, crashing their phone in turn, and so on and so forth.
This bug can also be used to crash every Apple device within wifi range by using the characters in the SSID of a wifi hotspot. When Apple devices "see" the wifi network, they crash.
edit on 2/17/2018 by trollz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   
And people actually stand in line and fight to buy these things.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Here's a link for those that don't like clicking on "NewPravda"(RT)

Apple Inc said on Thursday a bug in some versions of its operating systems is causing its devices to crash when a single character in Telugu, an Indian language, is sent to the device or typed in text editor.

The company was working on a fix for the iOS 11, the macOS High Sierra, watchOS 4 and tvOS 11 versions that the bug affects, an Apple spokesperson said.

The company said older versions were not affected by the bug and added that Apple had already fixed the issue in the current beta versions of the operating systems.

www.reuters.com...

K~

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   
This is like Microsoft when windows and IE became the biggest and buggiest browser and OS of them all.

It comes with the territory when you’re number one and big and bad like Apple has become.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
It comes with the territory when you’re number one and big and bad like Apple has become.

I'm heavily invested in Apple products. My own casual observations have lead me to believe that Apple is creating worms for its own technologies.

Will be moving back towards DOS-based solutions when my current devices reach the ends of their life cycles.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Catastrophic eh? Lol.... Maybe if you are Indian. Not had one hiccup here. All my Apple products are running like the well oiled machines that they are.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Never been a iPhone guy. I have Galaxy8s, its a great phone. My friend just picked one up, he used to have iPhone 7, he said he wish he would have switched to Galaxy sooner.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: soundguy
Catastrophic eh? Lol.... Maybe if you are Indian. Not had one hiccup here. All my Apple products are running like the well oiled machines that they are.
yeah wait until someone texts you the character,see how much no using Telugu helps you.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: kurthall

Wait a little... the galaxies will reveal their own set of bullsh!t problems.

Like batteries that expand and shatter the screen when they are charging. Not joking, happened to me, and a fair amount of other people judging by google.

All these techno devices suck. Planned obsolescence at it's finest and nobody says a word.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
This is like Microsoft when windows and IE became the biggest and buggiest browser and OS of them all.

It's more a problem with Unicode. This is a character set system that is based on characters in the range 0 .. 65535 with the goal of reproducing every possible language and symbol. One of the requirements is that your display system only needs to load in those languages that are in actual use and not every single character. Sometimes entire sets of characters or glyphs can be replaced with a different language.

It then becomes impossible for one application developer to test for every possible system, because they are dependent on the whole software stack for documents and graphics rendering.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   
The fruit of a poisoned tree?

One bad apple spoils the whole bunch.

edit on 17-2-2018 by howtonhawky because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   

One of these days someone is going to really discover a kill switch that takes down the internet and the cell phone systems world wide for a few days. It will be interesting to see how well folks cope. Will the phone zombies still walk around dazed poking at their useless phone, will people actually go outside and talk to someone or will there be piles of twitching bodies on the ground suffering from withdrawal. Would the world survive "The Day the Phones Died".

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Bramble Iceshimmer

Already exists... it's called an EMP (Electro Magnetic Pulse)

And a lack of cell phones will be the least of our worries when it goes off.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   
What a strange bug. Not going to lie - me being an ass and having an Android makes me want to text said character to friends with Iphones just to try it out lol.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bramble Iceshimmer

One of these days someone is going to really discover a kill switch that takes down the internet and the cell phone systems world wide for a few days. It will be interesting to see how well folks cope. Will the phone zombies still walk around dazed poking at their useless phone, will people actually go outside and talk to someone or will there be piles of twitching bodies on the ground suffering from withdrawal. Would the world survive "The Day the Phones Died".

That happened in the past. When the first digital telephone exchanges were rolled out, there was a very subtle but lethal bug in the network code regarding notifications. In the event of a non-recoverable fault such as a lightning strike causing a scrambling of system memory, the exchange would send out a "close down message" informing adjacent exchanges that this route was going to be closed until the exchange did a system reset. Upon restart, a "route available message" would be sent to adjacent exchanges. The problem was that the correct code needed to send three sets of data; the destination exchange for the message, the exchange propagating the message and the original sender. They omitted the original sender, so when one exchange went down all other adjacent exchanges would then tell their peers that they were going down. That got caught quite quickly. So they've taken care not to make that mistake again.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 05:57 PM
link   
So if my phone crashes the world ends?
What level catastrophe should I be expecting here?

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   
And life goes on

top topics

join