It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Posting IP Addresses in Member Profiles

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Given the current sociopolitical climate today & the recent news of Russia's massive coordinated efforts at disinformation & disruption around the world, knowing at least from which country a member is posting from would benefit membership participation.

No personal information would be divulged as IP's will only convey Service Provider location data & this basic information would allow users to better parse information sources.

TIA

K~

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 07:18 PM
link   
NO, you authoritarian.

A~~~~
edit on 16-2-2018 by Arnie123 because: Disgusted.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I don't know... I'd like to be able to see if someone was posting from a .gov site to determine just how many disinformation agents are on here stirring stuff up.... or russian bots etc.

I'd say post em if there wasn't any risk of getting hacked....but alas, I think it would be bad to do.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: aethertek

Um.... how about no.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Wouldn't the prolific use of VPNs make this information (IP address) less than useless though?

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Papers please.

SHOW ME YOUR PAPERS!

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: aethertekYou can choose to list your location already, that should be good enough for anyone who wants to

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 07:22 PM
link   
to bad you can't sniff network traffic to and from the ATS servers on whatever port this is configured on right?

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 07:25 PM
link   

ii) You will not Post, use the chat feature, use videos, or use the private message system to collect or ask for the personal information (data mining) about forum members, including email addresses and "real life" names, in any manner whatsoever, or for any reason whatsoever.

This is an anonymous board and the answer to that would of course be no.

Question answered and Thread closed.

new topics

top topics

join