It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liberal MSM calls Everytown for Gun Safety "Propaganda" for using DISHONEST INFLATED numbers

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Liberal msm, lol... that’s a good one.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Can we please just pass no nonsense laws against murdering other people? Enough is enough! End murder!

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

I agree... If we could find a way to ban murder then it would stop.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I wanted to do a thread about this, but I cannot find the video proof, from our local news this morning. I watch WLNS out of Lansing.
I was absolutely floored this morning, when the anchor actually said. "There have actually not been 18 school shootings since the beginning of the year. They are including shots fired in the parking lot, and after hours, WHERE NOBODY WAS INJURED.

I could not believe the media was admitting that.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 07:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
It's always astonishing when those who want "common sense" gun control begin their argument with demonstrably false "facts" and "information," lob in a good sized helping of personal attacks (like how gun owners are compensating for something, only morons could possibly like firearms, gun owners hate kids, etc.), and then always react so incredulously to that majority of gun owners who aren't against background checks and don't think everybody needs a bazooka and a howitzer in their back yard.

"They" just can't seem to understand, for whatever reason, that the majority of gun owners aren't really interested in sitting through made-up "facts" and personally belittling comments to try and get anywhere with "common sense" gun control.

I tried to explain this to one of the anti-gun zealots in the original thread on the Florida shooting. THEY are the barrier to progress on this issue. As soon as they open their mouth and reveal their complete ignorance on the subject and rattle off their memorized, debunked talking points, anyone who knows anything about this subject stops listening. You can't have an informed debate about potential solutions with people who don't know what they're talking about. The gun control lobby absolutely refuses to get informed on this subject. They are the barrier to progress and saving lives.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Well just to throw it out there. I was asked to leave a ban guns conversation on FB yesterday. That’s right, the same mindset that wishes to remove a right, by violating other rights (removal of property sans jury and due process) has zero problem suppressing free speech.

Doesn’t sound like guns are the problem. Which is what my point was in that the solution is to focus on what causes the shooter to kill rather than the method.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 07:25 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

I agree with you on pretty much everything, however I did spot a mistake on your chart. It says 1% of US deaths are gun homicides, and 1.5% are non-gun homicides. That's not possible. 2/3rds of the murders committed in the US use guns, and murders make up the vast majority of homicides, with a few unintentional and justified homicides also included. But it's impossible that non-gun homicides could be a higher percentage than gun homicides.

That doesn't mean I blame the guns though. All those people who committed a murder with a gun, if they couldn't get a gun would just kill another way. Nobody really wants to kill someone and then changes their mind because no gun is available, that's a gun control pipe dream.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: soundguy

Sure, make obscure and meaningless comments without giving us enough information to know what you're actually talking about. You're so clever.

You actually dispute WaPo is liberal MSM?
Their hyperbolic banner says "Democracy dies in darkness" for Christ's sake. Give it a rest.

Good thing I'm retired. I got all day to counter you liars.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
Well just to throw it out there. I was asked to leave a ban guns conversation on FB yesterday. That’s right, the same mindset that wishes to remove a right, by violating other rights (removal of property sans jury and due process) has zero problem suppressing free speech.

Doesn’t sound like guns are the problem. Which is what my point was in that the solution is to focus on what causes the shooter to kill rather than the method.

Sounds about right Ahabstar!

Everytime I use my long-term account on DU to broach the subject on guns, I get a handful of members who support the discussion while a majority simply report the topic and their echo-chamber "jury" closes them universally.

This is consequently why I refuse to discuss any matters with leftists until such a time as they can hold a reasonable and TWO SIDED conversation. They think they're going to dictate the removal of our rights or whine a whole bunch until they get their way.

Damn brainwashed millennials (a decent # of them, anyhow)

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

You and I both chief's!!!

Especially when I saw WaPo/USATODAY (and many other outlets) sharing a story about how dishonest Everytown's "propaganda" (their words) are

Sick part is that all these people inflating the numbers have only hurt their cause. The numbers (any number) is bad enough on its own, without some sycophant with an agenda trying to manipulate our opinions/thoughts/CONSTITUTIONAL rights

There are solutions out there, including seeing the problem for what it really is: mental illness, lack of morals and criminal predisposition (referring here to the major gang problems). Removing guns from law abiding citizens (while allowing criminals/government to keep theirs) is simply not an acceptable solution

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1
Which sign would be a better deterrent?

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

JC, you're right that Fox and other stations have also put out their own form of propaganda. Admitting our respective side(s) both have shady/dishonest/unethical elements is the only way to move past this partisan gridlock preventing the government from being cleaned out. It doesn't delegitimize the entire left/center/right any more than any other isolated incident/group of people

I realize Fox news isn't perfect, and that they have an agenda. That fact is plainly clear to anyone who watches any form of entertainment news expecting real journalism.

Where are the real journalists? Calling real journalists! They used to know how to break stories wide open, challenge the government and pursue public corruption/abuse scandals to the ends of the Earth if needed. They were the 4th estate. Now they're complicit puppets, starting with Citizen's united (big $$$ in politics now) and Obama allowing military/intelligence to target US CITIZENS DOMESTICALLY with lies/propaganda/disinformation/INFOWAR techniques.

But don't think I blame Obama exclusively. I blame that moron GWB 43 just as much. They are establishment puppets.

And Trump? Well, I know Trump must be half-way decent since the ENTIRE establishment has pulled out all the stops yet can't stop Trump's momentum. But of course he isn't perfect either. But he's a far cry from the despicable picture MSM/*SOME* on the left have been pushing.

“Shiria law is comming to America”

“War in christmas”

“White genocide”

“Immigrants are comming to get you”

Yeah, and those 4 things are petty for *them* to even be concerned with. I never paid any attention to it, since like you I realized they were political in nature and not based in reality (minus a few rare examples). But as I said earlier, we can't ban all immigrants just because a handful will commit crimes. We can't ban a religion (Christianity, islam, etc) simply because a rare few of its adherents will commit acts of violence in its name. Same for a political ideology or personal beliefs. I agree with you there

War on Christmas? Never bothered me either. People have the right to celebrate or not celebrate Christmas, to like or dislike it or to acknowledge or not acknowledge it
I support that fully

White genocide is simply not a thing I've seen supported by any such evidence. It may even be part of the effort to sow discord and discontent, but that's speculation (since it is extremely divisive and not supported by evidence, I make that assumption)

Literally the dictionary definition of conservatism is “They are trying to change your traditions!”

I was not aware of this, but I'm a libertarian my friend. Actually came from the DNC, with a very strong leaning toward individual freedoms and liberty for all people. Not just white people and not just Americans or Christians or whatever else
Our rights, including our 2A rights, protect all people in this country from any prospective tyranny.

If a new Nazi party were to somehow spring up here/subvert our lawful government, you can bet it would be 2A patriots like 3%ers and oath keepers (which contain X large number of active/retired military, active/retired public safety and other civil servants, medical professionals, etc) that showed up to oppose them.

Additionally, I would love to see EVERYONE (my "side" included) stop legislating their own morals/beliefs onto others. That is a form of oppression as well, and is unacceptable to me. If you don't like abortions, don't have one. If you don't like gay marriage, don't have one. If you don't like guns, don't own one and if you don't approve of the sex-change identity issue, then don't have one. In all cases, we should at least respect one another's different opinions and not seek to force our own opinions onto them through the law

And that goes for the right as much as it does the left
edit on 2/17/2018 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

I didn’t even get into the points of “okay, they are banned”. How do we gather them? Voluntary turn in? Think a potential mass shooter is going to just up and turn them in? How many deaths involved in door to door search and seizure actions? And if the locals and FBI didn’t do their jobs in this case, what make you think they are going to do that job right?

I think maybe it is time for more drastic measures, like in order for me to have a conversation you have to drink a gallon of whole milk in one sitting. Now I know the outcome if they try is that they either vomit or mess their pants because that is what happens. But at least it gives a real world outcome to acting on a stupid idea. And the experience gained will give them a more informed perspective for having a discussion on a more serious matter.
edit on 17-2-2018 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

The difference in Fox is you're gonna hear that kind of drivel at 8 or 9 at night. The actual news anchors in the afternoon aren't spewing that kind of crap. The left wing networks it's pretty much nonstop 24/7 commentary anymore, there's no news, it's all just telling you what to think.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: Shamrock6

By that same token it's equally annoying whenever someone says, "I want more gun control" and then pro-gun supporters warp that to "They want to come for my guns and ban all guns!"

I happen to want more gun control but also like the 2nd Amendment. Yet people just assume I want to ban all guns anyways.

That's some cognitive dissonance there.

Every gun control legislation usually does ban something. It takes something away one piece at a time. Even ammunition.

Okay, so you don't want to ban all guns right away, just a little bit at a time.

Why not just say that?

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

Seems OK to me. Its like I've always said, I fully support the first Amendment. I just think there should be reasonable regulation of free speech and press, with the reasonable part defined by people who agree with me.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: vor78

Seems OK to me. Its like I've always said, I fully support the first Amendment. I just think there should be reasonable regulation of free speech and press, with the reasonable part defined by people who agree with me.

The only problem with the words "Reasonable" and "Common Sense" gun control comments, are the people using them, IE; Barack Obama and others coming out and preaching gun control by using those descriptions of what they support.

There are already thousands of little "reasonable and common sense" laws on the books governing guns and weapons and they don't stop lunatics plain and simple.

Everyone should ask themselves if lunatics and criminally disturbed people are going to be observing "Common Sense" and "Reasonable" thinking when they pick up a loaded weapon of any kind.

See how utterly stupid it truly is for an idiot like Obama and other infamous anti-gun politicians to use those words in their latest attempts to push the gun control agenda while they themselves are guarded 24/7 by people with plenty of firepower?

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 05:50 AM
link   

I agree, but it also just shuts down any possibility of debate because its so condescending, arrogant and insulting because it implies that you can't have a legitimate disagreement with their policies. For these liberal politicians, what's the basis of their credibility on the issue? Most of them don't even have the first clue what they're actually trying to ban and why, but we're all supposed to think their opinions are 'reasonable' and 'common sense'?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join