It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meigs County Tennessee high school student sent violent threat though social media

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 07:51 AM
link   
This happened about 45 minutes south of where I live. I got kiddos in HS so this is starting to concern me.

DECATUR, Tenn. - The Meigs County School System said local law enforcement took a person into custody shortly after midnight Friday for posting a violent threat to social media. According to the MCSS, the Meigs County Sheriff's Department received information about an violent threat posted on social media Thursday from students and the community. It was not specified what the threat was in the release.

But I know ppl in the area and they said that his threat was "round two at school shootings" or something to that affect on snap-chat and an image of him holding a gun or guns. The post was taken down after the authorities took him into custody.

They have not released the name of the individual as of yet.

"The Meigs County School System would like to praise the students and school community who quickly reported this incident to authorities. The sincere and brave actions of those who reported allowed authorities the ability to act quickly to ensure the safety of our community," the school system said in a press release.

Link

Its good that teens and young adults are taking these threats seriously now-a-days and reporting.

~Morpheus

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Yes I saw that, he was one of 3 kids I saw that were arrested yesterday for making copy cat threats.

Yes, it did say "Round 2 at Florida Schools tomorrow" or something to that effect.

SMH.

I'm not sure what else to say I feel like I've said it all a thousand times. This is incredibly disappointing and unsettling.

EDIT: I see your article says Tennessee.... I wonder if that's even ANOTHER child who made a copy cat threat. Or if the photo I saw yesterday was of the same young man just referencing FL. WOW!

-Alee
edit on 2/16/2018 by NerdGoddess because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/16/2018 by NerdGoddess because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Pretty obvious that media coverage is causing copycat crimes now.

When will we get some commonsense laws to prevent the media from causing this to occur.?

Oh... there is a Constitutional protection for the press?

Then everyone calling for more gun laws can sthu.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Two big questions...

Why didn't the FBI do something?

Where the hell are this kid's parents?

The FBI should be held accountable for this.

They were called and told that this kid posted a Youtube video titled "Im going to be a professional school shooter. The FBI interviewed the kid and shortly after the kid went crazy and killed a bunch of other kids.

Hold the police accountable!

They were called 39 times!!! ...before this took place.

This could have been prevented. 17 could still be alive. The blood is on their hands. We don't need gun control, we need FBI and Law Enforcement Control.

edit on 16-2-2018 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

The one in Meigs County TN last-night was averted before the start of school today.
But your right the FBI should have done something before the tragedy in FL.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck
Two big questions...

Why didn't the FBI do something?

Where the hell are this kid's parents?

The FBI should be held accountable for this.

They were called and told that this kid posted a Youtube video titled "Im going to be a professional school shooter. The FBI interviewed the kid and shortly after the kid went crazy and killed a bunch of other kids.

Hold the police accountable!

They were called 39 times!!! ...before this took place.

This could have been prevented. 17 could still be alive. The blood is on their hands. We don't need gun control, we need FBI and Law Enforcement Control.

I read info on your link. The FBI didn't interview shooter, they interviewed the person who flagged it and notified the FBI. Regardless, here's the FBI's excuse as to why they didn't do anything - they didn't know who the poster of the threat was:

Had agents sought a grand jury subpoena to obtain data from YouTube to identify the person behind the posting, it is not certain that prosecutors would have agreed to seek one based on the scant information available. Agents might have a hard time convincing prosecutors of an imminent threat because the post mentioned no time or location of a possible shooting.

Even if agents had tied Mr. Cruz to the YouTube post, the authorities probably would have questioned him or his family and friends but would have been unable seize his gun without a court order.

Sounds like there are no kahunas left in the protective agencies with all the constitutional rights we have. But somehow they can twist and manipulate things so we are constantly spied on and listened to, all that data mining don't ya know. I would think that publicly threatening to murder people would void some of those privileges but that's just me. Why isn't the FBI/NSA monitoring social media???????? You mean all I have to do is set up a fake account and I can threaten/harass/hate on all I want???? It's pathetic. Sounds like the same issue they have with terrorists. People notify the authorities of unusual behavior and they pretty much ignore it. Like the two brothers who bombed Boston. Even their own father notified the FBI and.....crickets. They had been interviewed by the FBI....nothing came of it. Nothing can be done until a criminal act is carried out.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: MorpheusUSA
a reply to: StallionDuck

The one in Meigs County TN last-night was averted before the start of school today.
But your right the FBI should have done something before the tragedy in FL.

Oh damn... I derailed! Sorry! I didn't realize there was another.

Hell in a handbasket

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   
supposedly there is one happening now in the outskirts/suburbs of seattle at highline college but so far its just been shelter in place and reports of gun fire. no updates and i read it before hopping in the shower so copycats seem to be out in full force

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Ratting folks out isn't brave.

Im not saying they were wrong to do it, only that the medias use of that particular adjective is social engineering, and misusing a word with a well established definition.

new topics

top topics

join