It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School safety money would be slashed in Trump budget

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

So, basically, you think that the government should pay for everything, and are willing to exploit a tragedy to make that case.

Got it.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

So, basically, you think that the government should pay for everything, and are willing to exploit a tragedy to make that case.

Got it.

I think what slapmonkey was trying to say is our priorities are all screwed up.
A 25 billion dollar "stupid", border wall and kids with childhood diabetes and cancer have to solicit funds.

If we are such good friends with Russia, according to Trump, why do we need another 600 billion for the military?

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Of course the right-wing mob giving excuses for trump complaining about the federal government protecting the children of the country when we have an epidemic of children getting murdered, is pretty ridiculous and ignorant. I wonder would you feel the feds need to get involved when terrorist attack the people.

A very ignorant and sickening excuse just for trump

You don’t even give a dam about the children that you’d give this flimsy excuse for trump

If you had any knowledge not just right-wing dogma( that doesn't even apply here) you’d know the constitution makes it mandatory for the federal government to protect the people of the country when under attack.

GENERAL WELFARE CLAUSE. Article I, section 8 of the U. S. Constitution grants Congress the power to "lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts, and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common defense and general Welfare of the United States."

The fact of the matter is I've exposed trump as a hypocrite and you come up with the flimsiest excuse imaginable.
edit on 16-2-2018 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 11:19 PM
link   
+1 on it being the responsibility of the municipality to implement and maintain security of the schools.

With the amount of "school taxes" we pay annually I cant see it being too hard to budget out 60-70k a year for PROPERLY trained and qualified folks (ex mil would be a good start) for a armed guard at a school...even one makes a huge difference for deterrence.

If the budget is indeed that tight I doubt you would have that much opposition is a realistic tax bump to pay that salary...hell it would be pennies a year that I would have no problem paying and I don't even have kids that use the schools

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 11:33 PM
link   
There are 98,000 Public schools in the US. Lets says an Average of 2 people on campus. Salaried 9 hours a day. 3 billion dollars a year in salary at 35k a year. For total protection. There is plenty of money if the defense budget to pull from. Reallocation of funds.

To put this in perspective, there are quite a few people who could privately fund this also and let them have a tax break.

A small price to pay to protect our children. Does it suck it has come to this? Yes. But we are a large and diverse country and thing will only continue as they are. It is human nature.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Got it.

I'm curious many of you think more guns in schools like armed teachers and armed security is the answer, who other than the government is going to pay for to happen?

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 02:34 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

If this is the route taken, I'm suggesting we (the tax payers) pay from the school taxes we already pay...

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 03:51 AM
link   
a reply to: wileel

Schools are already underfunded, and apparently worse off under Trump assuming his budget hopes come to fruition.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 10:28 AM
link   
School safety money would be slashed in Trump budget

Clearly it would not have made a difference.

Would be slashed?

Cruz went on his rampage with 'safety' money fully funded.

Do better.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Got it.

I'm curious many of you think more guns in schools like armed teachers and armed security is the answer, who other than the government is going to pay for to happen?

I think it should be considered.

applicants should be properly vetted. maybe recruit volunteers (parents, retirees).

I don't think any targeted school had on-site armed security.

saw a graphic on facebook; had a list of people protected by armed security (President, Congress, Supreme Court, banks, celebrities, shipments of money) and 'not protected: schoolkids'.

IIRC some volunteers started helping out at military recruitment centers after the shooting @ Chattanooga TN a few years ago.

I would think this would be organized and funded locally. education systems pay X number of teachers and administrators, why couldn't they pitch in and have one security person per school, esp middle/high schools.

edit on 17-2-2018 by ElGoobero because: add content

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
This is why I was proposing it not be in federal budgets or considerations...it should be at the municipality level and the school taxes paid locally could cover the salary of guards. Even if they are already underfunded it would be pennies of tax dollars per person in the local communities to pay them

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Trump probably thinks that the students and schools should man up and deal with the tragedies without federal assistance. After all, Trump has always had enough money that he doesn’t understand the value of working together in a society. A society where people are willing to assist one another is stronger than one where everyone is out for themselves. If Trump thinks he earned all his money just with his own mind, he is delusional. Even he had help along the way, and it is selfish to not take care of those who take care of you - whether it is by votes, being a member of the work force, being a consumer of Teumps goods - all of these people helped Trump get to where he is in society, and all of these people were once students. Trump would be powerless without them and he is only hurting himself and his country by refusing to assist those in need of assistance.
edit on 17pmSat, 17 Feb 2018 20:24:36 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake
Trump probably thinks that the students and schools should man up and deal with the tragedies without federal assistance. After all, Trump has always had enough money that he doesn’t understand the value of working together in a society. A society where people are willing to assist one another is stronger than one where everyone is out for themselves. If Trump thinks he earned all his money just with his own mind, he is delusional. Even he had help along the way, and it is selfish to not take care of those who take care of you - whether it is by votes, being a member of the work force, being a consumer of Teumps goods - all of these people helped Trump get to where he is in society, and all of these people were once students. Trump would be powerless without them and he is only hurting himself and his country by refusing to assist those in need of assistance.

1) do you really want a bunch of bureaucrats in DC micromanaging school security in every state, county, township?

2) it's government's job to provide the basics for anyone to succeed. roads, law enforcement, public schools, a military to protect us. I think he's paid more than his share in taxes to return the government's investment many times over.

3) Trump has donated millions in charity. doesn't get reported but its true.

thehill.com...

President Trump has acted on his promise to donate $1 million of his personal fortune to charities helping with Hurricane Harvey relief efforts, the White House said.

White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders confirmed to The Hill that the president cut checks to 12 organizations helping the Gulf region recover from the monster storm, which devastated swaths of southeast Texas and Louisiana last month.

The Hill confirmed with multiple groups that they received the funds this week

4) ultimately we are all out for ourselves. no one can take care of you better than you. this dependence on government is unhealthy and unproductive.

edit on 18-2-2018 by ElGoobero because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Good, they've proved they haven't the slightest idea how to protect students.

But more importantly, 90% of my school's funding comes from local and state government 10% is federal, so I'm not to worried that they'll find themselves without money they need.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Well, as far as programs that promote teachers being armed, every one that I've seen has been a voluntary basis and requires the volunteers to carry most of, if not all of the burden of the costs of training, the firearms, the necessary permits, and everything else.

As far as armed security, the local communities should pay if they opt to do that. Personally, I've seen what kind of armed security that type of budget would get us, so I would prefer the former rather than the latter in most situations.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join